saw hype..any one disappointed when they tried one out for themselves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I like. If I were to buy my own, I'd want a V-nose. Do they help mileage an pullability like I think they would? Would something like that run about $5K?

That trailer is a 2008 7600.00 was msrp .......Truck is 09 with HO and 6 speed .....yes it helps with mileage also because its a low pro....

8 pages of this thread and the overwhelming consensus is that the least disappointing and therefore best saw ever made is a bone stock Stihl MS390.

No offense there FART but you don't have a clue. Some day you will run into someone that has a real saw running then you will have a CLUE when the 390 turns white, pukes and then curls up and dies! :buttkick:

So I was trying to run a talley on the votes to see if there were stand outs. A lot of people didn't answer clearly or had caviats such as "after I had 8 tanks of gas through it" or "after I modded it" so it wasn't easy to understand exactly where to put their vote but I did notice two stand outs.
The Stihl 260 got the most votes for being dispointing, I counted 10. The next worst saw was the 361 with 7.
The real stand out was the Dolmar 7900 with 12 positive reviews and not a single negative, even more impressive it was the only saw that had positive reviews and not a single negative review with the exception of the 262 but it only had three positive reviews. Many had positive and negative, the 346 for example.
I already have the 7900, just got to find a good 346 now, and a fool to buy my 180.

This is the largest display of Dolmar OPE that I know of...

attachment.php

Maybe 20 sq. ft.

Dolmar has to get their act together and find some dealers willing to stock product.

The dealer in my hometown has a display with like 20 saws.

So I was trying to run a talley on the votes to see if there were stand outs. A lot of people didn't answer clearly or had caviats such as "after I had 8 tanks of gas through it" or "after I modded it" so it wasn't easy to understand exactly where to put their vote but I did notice two stand outs.
The Stihl 260 got the most votes for being dispointing, I counted 10. The next worst saw was the 361 with 7.
The real stand out was the Dolmar 7900 with 12 positive reviews and not a single negative, even more impressive it was the only saw that had positive reviews and not a single negative review with the exception of the 262 but it only had three positive reviews. Many had positive and negative, the 346 for example.
I already have the 7900, just got to find a good 346 now, and a fool to buy my 180.

make that 13.
my 7900 is a fine saw that lived up to all the hype that has been generated around it!

the biggest disapointment for me was the stihl ms660. it was a fine saw but the legendary power did not seem to be there.

I think the most disappointing saw I've ran have been my 066 and a stock 460. I think I just expected way to much from them after having my 7900. I figured since the Dolmar had balls the 066 should have alot more. Well it doesn't:(

And I'm glad I didn't buy a 460 over the 7900, I would have been out a few hundo's and had an okay saw. The thing I like best about the 7900 is not its awesome power but it's anti-vib. It was made by angels:greenchainsaw:

Hook 'em up boys! I'll drag both you and your sorry truck sideways all the way to Key West!:rockn::ices_rofl:

yeah ok:monkey: i doubt your cutaway yugo could have even moved the expedition. i know my old 78f150 would have "popped your cherry" gmc

that expedition is a sherman tank lol......... heck my nascar truck has towed a jeep an s10 and a blazer using a dolley on my bumper
could your truck do that at 164,000 miles???

Last edited:
im just havin fun, my definition of a truck is something that sees mud, snow, salt, is taken off roading other than at gtg's. heck we would push trees over with the 78

The biggest disappointment of all my saws at the moment is my stock 7900.

Only because I got a new modded 7900 off Brad.

That man has a lot to answer for...

However, for the record, my stock 7900 was my favourite saw until about 5 weeks ago when this Dolmar branded parcel arrived from the US ;)

I'm seeing quite a few less than stellar comments about the MS460. That's not my opinion of it at all, and I think I know why. My experience is with a stock 046. It was bought new by my Dad the very first month they came out. It came with a DP muffler cover. Plus the exit in the muffler body is several times the size in the current 460. It's no wonder they don't live up to your expectations. The original 046 is an amazing saw! Open the muffler up on your 460s and you won't be disappointed. That's not how they were designed originally.

yeah ok:monkey: i doubt your cutaway yugo could have even moved the expedition. i know my old 78f150 would have "popped your cherry" gmc

that expedition is a sherman tank lol......... heck my nascar truck has towed a jeep an s10 and a blazer using a dolley on my bumper
could your truck do that at 164,000 miles???

You better bring something with more than 400 HP, 4:30 gears, Detroit TrueTrac, and big tires! I didn't see that on your borrowed truck!:greenchainsaw:

I'm seeing quite a few less than stellar comments about the MS460. That's not my opinion of it at all, and I think I know why. My experience is with a stock 046. It was bought new by my Dad the very first month they came out. It came with a DP muffler cover. Plus the exit in the muffler body is several times the size in the current 460. It's no wonder they don't live up to your expectations. The original 046 is an amazing saw! Open the muffler up on your 460s and you won't be disappointed. That's not how they were designed originally.

true they always seem to de-tune things after a while

Latest posts

Back