Saws Storm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I would like to know about all the people with battery powered chainsaws are making out in areas that suffered damage from the storm. Without power how can they recharge there saws batteries? Some may have portable generators however myself I would rather have a supply of mix for my saws. And in closing I would like to wish everyone the fastest method to get things back to normal.

I would like to know about all the people with battery powered chainsaws are making out in areas that suffered damage from the storm. Without power how can they recharge there saws batteries? Some may have portable generators however myself I would rather have a supply of mix for my saws. And in closing I would like to wish everyone the fastest method to get things back to normal.
My guess is a lot of those with gas saws don't have a supply of mix on hand or ready access to an operating service station.

My guess is a lot of those with gas saws don't have a supply of mix on hand or ready access to an operating service station.
SD, they had more than ample warning. Until we get some sort of solid evidence we will simply have to speculate. Honestly, there is not a valid reason not to be prepared with all the weather information available.

I think the premise to the original question makes an incorrect assumption. That assumption is that those who have some form of electric chainsaw on hand for storm cleanup are anticipating having to perform those cleanup activities after being hit by a large scale storm. That is not the case. Those individuals are anticipating having to clean up a few limbs or MAYBE 1 entire tree. Electric chainsaws are ideal for those kinds of activities, and that's enough for 95% of the country 99% of the time. Even when a big tornado comes through, the power is only out for a day in most of the effected area. Power may be out for a week or more for some people (been there, done that), but that's not the normal situation. For the majority of the areas impacted by a bad storm, IF your power is out after 24 hrs, area's where there IS power is only a 15 minute drive away. The exception (in my opinion are hurricanes because they impact extremely large areas compared to any other type of storm system.

The reality is that if you are unfortunate enough to take a direct hit by a major storm, no amount of mixed 2 cycle fuel sitting on your shelf is going to help you because those shelves, along with all of your equipment, will likely be scattered all across the neighboring 4 counties. Even if that is not the case, downed trees are not going to be your primary concern the day after the storm. The primary concern is clearing the roads for emergency response crews, and getting food, water and (dry) shelter for the people who are the most effected. At the end of the day, you're going to need help. On the other hand, if you live in a rural wooded area, it doesn't take a very bad storm for you to need a chainsaw so it depends on your circumstances.

There will be a time for firing up the chainsaw and getting the tree off your house, but if you have a tree laying on your house and your experience with a chainsaw is limited to mostly electric saws, you should NOT be trying to take a tree off of your house. Getting the tree off your house is the easy part. Finding a decent contractor to put your house back together is the hard part, and if you find him, you're going to be on a LONG list of people waiting for him. Odds are that if you're the type of person who has enough $$ that you're not real sure how to start an electric chainsaw, you're going to be higher on that list than those of us who operate power saws on a regular basis.

There's a few assumptions in this thread, but it's mostly a bait and bash for the OP, from my perspective.
I think from an efficiency standpoint this makes perfect sense. It would be interesting To do an experiment. Take 5 gallons of gas mix it up and cut wood until it’s gone. Then take 5 gallons a generator and a Betty saw and do the same. Then compare the amount of wood cut. I bet the old fashioned saw would come out ahead but who knows

I think from an efficiency standpoint this makes perfect sense. It would be interesting To do an experiment. Take 5 gallons of gas mix it up and cut wood until it’s gone. Then take 5 gallons a generator and a Betty saw and do the same. Then compare the amount of wood cut. I bet the old fashioned saw would come out ahead but who knows

It's more of a non issue because anyone who is out doing disaster cleanup isn't going to show up with only battery tools.

No electric saws here. Unless you count sawzall in my Milwaukee tools. They make a charger that connects to 12V so that can be charged with a tractor or truck. Maybe the electric CS do too?

I always try to have at least 2-3 gallons of mix stored in metal Coleman fuel cans. Non-E10 and/or AV gas. Also have on hand extra mix oil and at least 5-gal of non-E10 for other powered tools.

Storm or no storm it's a PITA to have to get fuel when you are out. Storm coming car/truck/tractors get topped off. If trees come down I can cut into pieces that I can move using the tractors and logging chains. Let the power companies deal with the wires and roads.

An efficiency standpoint has nothing to do with storm damage cleanup.

There's also lots of threads on comparing gas to battery. In fact, there's a whole battery tool subforum here that has lots of discussions, including math, of the matter

If the OP isn't baiting, and they're dumb enough to not understand the situation, then they should probably be researching Critical Thinking courses and not chainsaws.

Latest posts

Back