Saws Storm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the disaster response groups rely on battery powered contractor tools (sawzalls, drills, circular saws, etc.). They use a variety of generators to charge if AC power is not available.

I have run battery powered chainsaws and pole saws on disasters: 3 batteries per saw, and recharging on lunch breaks, at night, etc.

Philbert

Most of the disaster response groups rely on battery powered contractor tools (sawzalls, drills, circular saws, etc.). They use a variety of generators to charge if AC power is not available.

I have run battery powered chainsaws and pole saws on disasters: 3 batteries per saw, and recharging on lunch breaks, at night, etc.

Philbert
I have a converter on my truck...have run corded tools in the boonies.

A number of large companies (Target, Home Depot, PetSmart, etc.) have pre-existing relationships with organizations like the Red Cross, etc.

They are in the logistics business, and can bring in pallets and truckloads of supplies.

Often donated, but also able to get additional stuff sent out at cost, or through corporate foundations, etc.

Many, many local businesses also step up with supplies, shelter, feeding, etc.

It’s really a positive thing to see in a divided and cynical world.

Philbert

A coworker who volunteers with me normally brings a small kubota with a grapple. On his first trip to Mayfield KY, he managed to poke a stick into one of the front valve stems. A local shop fixed it for him and refused payment for the service. The guy behind the counter basically said "That's my name on the sign out front, and i said your money is no good here. If you need ANYTHING while you're down here, you come here FIRST, and I'll make sure you get it."

It's sad that it takes such a tragedy to be able to see the good in most people.

On 9/11 I was working at 3M. A few of us were driving down to a warehouse in Iowa, for a routine visit, listening to something we could not understand on the news.

By the time we got to the warehouse, they were filling up semi-trailers with medical and surgical supplies, before the second tower fell.

I asked where they were going, expecting to hear the name of a specific customer or distributor.

They said ‘New York’, with the unspoken understanding that they would get sorted out there.

Philbert

Hoping for the best for everyone in those affected areas! You guys and gals out clearing stay safe, we all know how hazardous those blown down trees and powerlines can be.

I do utility work and have been sent into many storm hit areas, but nothing like this. We have generators mounted on some of the trucks and I have a company provided battery powered electric saw, gas saw and pole saw on the truck as well. If its bad I'll take one or two of my saws along along with all the fuel and bar fuel I can get a hold of.

I think the premise to the original question makes an incorrect assumption. That assumption is that those who have some form of electric chainsaw on hand for storm cleanup are anticipating having to perform those cleanup activities after being hit by a large scale storm. That is not the case. Those individuals are anticipating having to clean up a few limbs or MAYBE 1 entire tree. Electric chainsaws are ideal for those kinds of activities, and that's enough for 95% of the country 99% of the time. Even when a big tornado comes through, the power is only out for a day in most of the effected area. Power may be out for a week or more for some people (been there, done that), but that's not the normal situation. For the majority of the areas impacted by a bad storm, IF your power is out after 24 hrs, area's where there IS power is only a 15 minute drive away. The exception (in my opinion are hurricanes because they impact extremely large areas compared to any other type of storm system.

The reality is that if you are unfortunate enough to take a direct hit by a major storm, no amount of mixed 2 cycle fuel sitting on your shelf is going to help you because those shelves, along with all of your equipment, will likely be scattered all across the neighboring 4 counties. Even if that is not the case, downed trees are not going to be your primary concern the day after the storm. The primary concern is clearing the roads for emergency response crews, and getting food, water and (dry) shelter for the people who are the most effected. At the end of the day, you're going to need help. On the other hand, if you live in a rural wooded area, it doesn't take a very bad storm for you to need a chainsaw so it depends on your circumstances.

There will be a time for firing up the chainsaw and getting the tree off your house, but if you have a tree laying on your house and your experience with a chainsaw is limited to mostly electric saws, you should NOT be trying to take a tree off of your house. Getting the tree off your house is the easy part. Finding a decent contractor to put your house back together is the hard part, and if you find him, you're going to be on a LONG list of people waiting for him. Odds are that if you're the type of person who has enough $$ that you're not real sure how to start an electric chainsaw, you're going to be higher on that list than those of us who operate power saws on a regular basis.
That is a whole lot of ridiculous crap right there. Why did you waste your time typing it

We had a doosie of a storm back in July. Nothing like what folks are dealing with in the Carolinas, but a good one. Rain and wind such that we had water coming thru the front door, and it wasn't from flooding. It was raining and blowing that hard. Took 8 days to get power back. Lots of trees down on my road and neighbors property. 3 had trees down that were preventing them from getting out. One down on a home. I've become known on our road as the guy with the saw...you can guess who was called to clear stuff out. All work done with an 026 and maybe 1 (ish) gallon of mixed gas, already on hand.
A gallon of gas run through a small saw like an 026 can do a lot of work short term in an emergencysituation. Even if you don't have it mixed on hand and have the oil, gasoline can be had in small quantities fairly easily just about anywhere, including the gas tank of your vehicle in dire times.

Latest posts

Back