Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree guys were on my road marking ash takedowns talked to the super actually he approached me when I was tapping the maple tree out front as he makes syrup too. Said the will be around all next week and he would have the guys drop the trees in long length so I just have to chain them up to my FEL . Looks like they marked 10 or so .

In other lye news, corn is cooked with wood ash to loosen and remove the hulls. It is then called "nixtamal" which is then ground and use to make tortillas.
We call it Hominy, except we dont grind the hominy, we rinse and fry it in pork fat and eat it whole.

I've used WD-40 on my fine woodworking tools for decades with no ill effects. I spray the tools and then wipe them off to remove the excess. For "smooth" tools like try squares and back saws I spray a shop rag or paper towel and wipe the tool down. I avoid spraying wooden handles on tools (e.g., hand plane totes, spoke shave handles). Like with wax on hand plane soles, the WD-40 tends to wipe off the tool early in the stock prep and any initial contamination to the wood is removed via planing, scraping and/or sanding. I also wipe down the tables of my stationary tools and tailed hand tools. The cast iron tables receive a coat of paste wax also to aid in moving stock and to add some protection.
I like the CRC 3-36 for protection. It sprays on , evaporates and leaves a waxy coating on the metal. I use wd40 to wipe down and clean, but if there is any danger in it rusting, it gets the crc. I use it on my milling table and lathe as those machines dont get used much. I was looking at my milling table today and its been over a year since I have even turned it on and its still rust free.

Phew, I made it. I was reading so fast back there that I pulled a hamstring. Then I'd wake up in the morning and see that you jerks had put on another 10 pages and I'd be even further back than I was before. I've read every page of this thread and I wasn't going to cheat and skip ahead. Anyway, got there in the end.

I must admit that with the range of topics discussed recently, I did get a bit lost at times. Since we're in the process of a home renovation, I took on board the information re. the carpet matching the drapes so that was good. I wasn't sure what to make of the narrow landing strips but then of course the discussion about aircraft cleared that up for me. But when it got onto the topic of large chests I was right at home because we all need a good storage vessel for our chainsaw gear. As always, the scrounging thread is a treasure trove of information!

Phew, I made it. I was reading so fast back there that I pulled a hamstring. Then I'd wake up in the morning and see that you jerks had put on another 10 pages and I'd be even further back than I was before. I've read every page of this thread and I wasn't going to cheat and skip ahead. Anyway, got there in the end.

I must admit that with the range of topics discussed recently, I did get a bit lost at times. Since we're in the process of a home renovation, I took on board the information re. the carpet matching the drapes so that was good. I wasn't sure what to make of the narrow landing strips but then of course the discussion about aircraft cleared that up for me. But when it got onto the topic of large chests I was right at home because we all need a good storage vessel for our chainsaw gear. As always, the scrounging thread is a treasure trove of information!

Here, these might help.

Oops! This one doesn’t have any drapes.
07F01E45-FED3-4AEC-B461-B080C08AAE26.jpeg
30626D1D-B35D-46DD-ABD7-97BB0841A463.jpeg
BE841866-A24C-49F4-A999-0B7EB70C6162.jpeg

@H-Ranch I could use a wheelbarrow pic pick me up🤣 the parts saw I picked up is missing more parts than anticipated😭 so a rough day on the bench 😔
Ya where are the wheelbarrow pics???? I won’t be able to sleep!!!!

E971C1BF-9ADE-4848-AC3A-B5E7B03E8845.jpeg

I’m rather behind on my milling.

And three more huge logs have been added since this was taken.

And there are three smaller ones not in the pic.

AND there’s a pile much larger than this of mostly oak that’s waiting.

All of the falloff will be firewood, unless my buddy Jonathan wants to keep some nice sections for wall coverings. He wants to cover the entire inside of a small chapel with these.

Question for you firewood scroungers. I'm always on the hunt for recently cut down trees to add to my wood pile. I keep one pile for seasoning and then another covered that I've split..I live in Florida so we get a lot of rain, in the past I'd taken to keeping the rounds I was seasoning covered up, but stopped doing that a couple years ago and noticed that some of the "seasoned" logs had started to rot..I'm guessing I should start covering again..my main question is how long should you typically wait before you split a log? I don't have a splitter, so it's being done manually and some of this recently cut oak is damn near impossible to bust through..thanks.

Back