Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning guys. Been below -30 for the last two mornings. This may finally be the end of our winter deep freeze though, supposedly to be +29 tomorrow and the lowest low in the ten day forecast is -1.
Brrrrrrr.
We had a couple 50 degree days already. That's normal here and winter is certainly not over, but we're over the hump. I'm into hardcore spring planning/ work now, hence the splitting pictures. I'm heading out to finish a tree job today, I've been waiting for the ground to freeze back up, and it's been below freezing for the last three days. This weekend its supposed to be above freezing every day so now's the time.
We got another inch and a half of fresh snow last night though lol. It will be gone by Monday.

My "scrounge" of the day (year!)

20220225_102157.jpg20220225_102210.jpg
20220225_102227.jpg
A close friends nephew owns a tree trimming business. Apparently, he runs ALOT of perfectly good firewood through the chipper just to get rid of it. I think I have a new honey hole 😎
It means a drive into the city, 40 miles each way, a small inconvenience for the return. He is so eager to give it away he happily loaded me with a smile 😃
I took my dump trailer my buddy brought his utility and we filled em up. I got some work to do now.

My "scrounge" of the day (year!)

View attachment 968283View attachment 968284
View attachment 968286
A close friends nephew owns a tree trimming business. Apparently, he runs ALOT of perfectly good firewood through the chipper just to get rid of it. I think I have a new honey hole 😎
It means a drive into the city, 40 miles each way, a small inconvenience for the return. He is so eager to give it away he happily loaded me with a smile 😃
I took my dump trailer my buddy brought his utility and we filled em up. I got some work to do now.
After the last two mornings with more than -30f I would just about kiss that unfrozen dirt...even with the oil sheen on it LOL!

Nice score BTW

We got snow again this morning, only about 2" but very heavy and ice capped ... glad I re-scheduled my appts for this morning to yesterday afternoon!

Gave me time to plow the driveway with the ATV (thank goodness I have it). Also did 5 driveways for neighbors. Last snowstorm my next-door neighbor did mine with his Kubota as I was busy with taxes. He is at work in NYC today.

It is a good neighborhood, we help each other.

After the last two mornings with more than -30f I would just about kiss that unfrozen dirt...even with the oil sheen on it LOL!

Nice score BTW
It just showed itself within the last few days for the first time since Christmas. 50° and 1" of rain in a 12 hour period....between warm Temps and the rain we lost close to 2 feet of snow in a matter of a couple of days. It went fast.

For years I've been thinking it would be nice to have a trailer picker on the front on my tractor. All the years I shifted trailers at UPS I used a yard shifter, with a dolly picker on the front. It has a pneumatic piston with a U shaped hook on top, a mirror low on the windshield that pointed down. You pushed a button and the piston shot down, held it down until you got the u under the donut of the pintle. Let go of the button and two mongo springs pulled the dolly up. It would take a driver 10-15 minutes to get out, lift the tongue of the dolly up, pull it forward and set it in the pintle. S shifter could do it in 10 seconds and be gone. My JD X540 has hydraulic lift on the front implements. I started chopping up 1/4" angle, bought a 4 bolt, bolt on receiver hitch, and when I was done, I can now pull up to my wood splitter or any of my trailers and pick them up and move them around. i never have to get off and fold the leg up or wind the jack stand up. Just lift the whole thing up and off I go. I need to get the paint out and I'll be pretty much done.
4GXrJyh.jpg

For years I've been thinking it would be nice to have a trailer picker on the front on my tractor. All the years I shifted trailers at UPS I used a yard shifter, with a dolly picker on the front. It has a pneumatic piston with a U shaped hook on top, a mirror low on the windshield that pointed down. You pushed a button and the piston shot down, held it down until you got the u under the donut of the pintle. Let go of the button and two mongo springs pulled the dolly up. It would take a driver 10-15 minutes to get out, lift the tongue of the dolly up, pull it forward and set it in the pintle. S shifter could do it in 10 seconds and be gone. My JD X540 has hydraulic lift on the front implements. I started chopping up 1/4" angle, bought a 4 bolt, bolt on receiver hitch, and when I was done, I can now pull up to my wood splitter or any of my trailers and pick them up and move them around. i never have to get off and fold the leg up or wind the jack stand up. Just lift the whole thing up and off I go. I need to get the paint out and I'll be pretty much done.
4GXrJyh.jpg

That's awesome!

4GXrJyh.jpg

Pretty cool Joe. Work smarter, not harder.

Back