Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent a little time cleaning up a scrounge from the in-laws. They had a big ash tree split about 20 feet up, and I got all of the wood that's on the ground. I'm still trying to convince them that I should just cut the main stem that's remaining (about 30" dbh), but the FIL likes a vine that's growing on the side of it, so no luck for now.2015-07-21 20.08.58.jpg

king:
Smart idea using blocs under the pallets. ground contact will rot them in a couple years otherwise.
A vine on the side of that Ash, if it's hairy may be P. ivy. I cut a foot long chunk out of with the top of the bar to keep the chips away from me and let it dry for couple months and then pull it down.
I don't like vines, all they do is cause trouble.

king:
Smart idea using blocs under the pallets. ground contact will rot them in a couple years otherwise.
A vine on the side of that Ash, if it's hairy may be P. ivy. I cut a foot long chunk out of with the top of the bar to keep the chips away from me and let it dry for couple months and then pull it down.
I don't like vines, all they do is cause trouble.

It's not P.I. for sure. I don't remember what FIL told me it was, but it's something that he wants to keep. I pointed out that the tree will rot within a few years and block his driveway, but at this point, no big ash firewood for me.

IMG_2006.jpg

Finally got to use the 36" bar on the 660 today. The church has this red oak laying beside the soccer field project. It amazes me how much easier it is to cut a big trunk up with this saw, I love it! Just set it up there and let it eat, forget about that whittlin every single cut clear around. I've noticed that people always take the easy stuff and the big old trunks are what are ripe for the picking around here at least. That and pine, Lord knows I've got enough of that on my own property.

It's not P.I. for sure. I don't remember what FIL told me it was, but it's something that he wants to keep. I pointed out that the tree will rot within a few years and block his driveway, but at this point, no big ash firewood for me.
Maybe something like Virginia creeper. It can be decorative and often kills trees by blocking their sunlight. Hey, if we all had the same tastes/values there would only be one saw in each size, there would be no trade because buyers and sellers would both want the same thing and no difference would exist for that profit the seller sees. Thank goodness we are not all wired alike.

Spent a few hours on the newest log trailer. Looks more like a trailer now. Last 2 pictures are the drive system for the orchard sprayer fan. Should be worth a few bucks to somebody. PTO shafts, pulley drive and a reducer/ multiplier. I mushed up the tank and scrapped it.
IMG_20150720_104001.jpg IMG_20150722_182241.jpg IMG_20150722_193558.jpg IMG_20150722_193601.jpg IMG_20150722_194011.jpg

Also made a little mistake tonight. My wife called me while I was at work and asked what time I would be home for supper. Like always I said I would be late. And when I got home at 7:30 her sister was here and they were just finishing supper, I was late again. That's when my lovely sister in law said " happy anniversary, supper was good". Damn, and just when I was going to smooth talk her into buying everything I need for my 36" wood splitter project. Oh well, I'll remember next year and make up for it.

Also made a little mistake tonight. My wife called me while I was at work and asked what time I would be home for supper. Like always I said I would be late. And when I got home at 7:30 her sister was here and they were just finishing supper, I was late again. That's when my lovely sister in law said " happy anniversary, supper was good". Damn, and just when I was going to smooth talk her into buying everything I need for my 36" wood splitter project. Oh well, I'll remember next year and make up for it.
Oops!

Did a little cutting with the 362 C in the back yard the other day, one Silver Maple and a few Boxelder, nothing big. That soft hardwood sure makes the 362 look strong, and the square file chain takes out some nice chips. Stacked them on a couple of drainage pipes I had left over from a project, they will be next year's firewood.

On Friday I will be up near Albany, cutting with SVK.

Attachments

• Wood7-22-15 003.jpg
    Wood7-22-15 003.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 27
  • Wood7-22-15 001.jpg
    Wood7-22-15 001.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 28
Did a 38 mi bike ride today, there were 6 of us, including some friends I had not ridden with in years. It was an exhilarating ride! It included long never ending up hills, and some shorter very steep up hills, and some long winding descents and some very steep descents.

I broke 50 MPH on two separate downhills, and some of the twistier descents were even more exhilarating at 40 plus MPH! I loved it, was a nice ride, and good to see old friends!

Did a 38 mi bike ride today, there were 6 of us, including some friends I had not ridden with in years. It was an exhilarating ride! It included long never ending up hills, and some shorter very steep up hills, and some long winding descents and some very steep descents.

I broke 50 MPH on two separate downhills, and some of the twistier descents were even more exhilarating at 40 plus MPH! I loved it, was a nice ride, and good to see old friends!

Theres nothing quite like a good road bike ride, although I haven't been on one for a couple years myself. I remember the first time I rode my cousin's trek, I felt like I was lance himself, back when being lance was enviable. Haha. That thing felt like a rocket compard to my 29er MTB. I miss riding. :(

Hey Mike:
I just luv the look of those chips from the square cut chain.
I did order out a loop on one of my chain orders, took it outof the box, shook my head.
I'd never be able to sharpen that chain. Have enough trouble with a round ground.
I tried all those sharpening aids and the only one that worked for me was the File o Plate.
What works for me? Glove on the left hand to hold the tooth and free hand the file.
The only time I use the grinder is when I rock the chain of find a nail or get sucked into sharpening somebody elses
ugly. Some are realy ugly, half the time I'll spin up a new loop, saves time and effort and I get an "atta boy". You did a good job, saw cuts almost like new. I get paid in free wood. He he
I maybe old but I ain't stupid.
Yah, just dump it over next to that pile of Pine.
I shure wish I had a mill, got some White Pine that would make some nice paneling.

Wish in one hand and spit in the other, what do you have?

Spent a few hours on the newest log trailer. Looks more like a trailer now. Last 2 pictures are the drive system for the orchard sprayer fan. Should be worth a few bucks to somebody. PTO shafts, pulley drive and a reducer/ multiplier. I mushed up the tank and scrapped it.
View attachment 437329 View attachment 437330 View attachment 437331 View attachment 437332 View attachment 437333
Frame looks like it's in goo shape. It would be nice to get some more ground clearances. It looks like you can already adjust the spindle to get more clearance though. I'd look into unbolting that cross member and flipping it over to get those adjustable spindles to give double the ground clearance.

IMG_2006.jpg

Finally got to use the 36" bar on the 660 today. The church has this red oak laying beside the soccer field project. It amazes me how much easier it is to cut a big trunk up with this saw, I love it! Just set it up there and let it eat, forget about that whittlin every single cut clear around. I've noticed that people always take the easy stuff and the big old trunks are what are ripe for the picking around here at least. That and pine, Lord knows I've got enough of that on my own property.

Looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really really dislike how a 36" bar disrupted the handling on my 394.

32" was tits. 36" not so much for me.

I took the brand new 36" Total off and put the old well used 32" back on. I'm happy again.

Anyways, awesome score!!!!!!!

Looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really really dislike how a 36" bar disrupted the handling on my 394.

32" was tits. 36" not so much for me.

I took the brand new 36" Total off and put the old well used 32" back on. I'm happy again.

Anyways, awesome score!!!!!!!

You know just handling the saw with the 36 I was concerned it would be too nose heavy, the 24" bar feels real nice to me, but I liked having that little bit of nose weight workin in my favor when I had the whole bar buried. It made me feel warm and fuzzy all over. :)

With the 36" bar, my 394 just didn't get used. For me, it just wrecked the versatility of the saw when it had the 32". If I was bucking 4' diameter tress all day, then I see the point and deal with it. But I use the 394 in situations from a 50cc limbing saw to bucking trees to burying the bar in 10 logs at once in the firewood pile.

I slapped a 28" I had lying around on one of the 7900's and used the heck outta that. In place of the 32" 394.

I went down to KY in May to visit my folks and my dad told me to bring a saw. I threw the 32" back on the 394 and raised hell in the holler. Even had one neighbor come over wondering what the noise was that was disrupting his television show.

He sat back on a stump and just shook his head. He said "Ben, I expected no less from you when your dad told me you were bringing a saw down."

Hey Mike:
I just luv the look of those chips from the square cut chain.
I did order out a loop on one of my chain orders, took it outof the box, shook my head.
I'd never be able to sharpen that chain. Have enough trouble with a round ground.
I tried all those sharpening aids and the only one that worked for me was the File o Plate.
What works for me? Glove on the left hand to hold the tooth and free hand the file.
The only time I use the grinder is when I rock the chain of find a nail or get sucked into sharpening somebody elses
ugly. Some are realy ugly, half the time I'll spin up a new loop, saves time and effort and I get an "atta boy". You did a good job, saw cuts almost like new. I get paid in free wood. He he
I maybe old but I ain't stupid.
Yah, just dump it over next to that pile of Pine.
I shure wish I had a mill, got some White Pine that would make some nice paneling.

Wish in one hand and spit in the other, what do you have?

Give that square file a try! You don't live too far away from what I remember, I can come over and show you how to sharpen it. I can do it just as fast as round file, but you have to pay attention to that corner, always.

Give that square file a try! You don't live too far away from what I remember, I can come over and show you how to sharpen it. I can do it just as fast as round file, but you have to pay attention to that corner, always.
Cough, if you are giving live demo lessons, Northern MN isn't too far away as the crow flies.

Let you dive into a wood pile that will maim you, take you for a ride in something that is fast but shouldn't be, and hit a top notch dive resort bar. Just throwing that out there...

Back