Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking my time. It may be the fall or later until I pull the trigger. I need to pay off one of my student loans first. The other loan will take several more years until the second one is payed off.

I want to take my time on the big saw and do it right since I will have it for 20+ years.

Don't overlook a 044 or MS 440, and there have been deals right on our site. In fact, I think there is a ported, near pristine, 046 for sale now at a very good price for what it is. A ported 046 will wake you up like you won't believe!
Wow that 046 looks great. Almost new looking. I wish I could have handled one to get some idea how it feels. Right now I am window shopping. Not ready to pull the trigger. Though I am no longer afraid of used saws.

The 046 power head is about 14.75 lbs. They are great saws for bucking, especially when ported. They are also very durable and have a good following.

IMO, in that condition, it would not be hard to get your money out of it if you ever wanted to.

The performance difference between this saw and what you have will be hard for you to imagine. It is no "too big" like a 660, but should be able to handle anything you encounter.

You will not find a deal like this on a saw like this often. 046s w/original tank handle are sought after.

The hardest thing for me is a stock 461 or 441 would be plenty for my needs and once I pay for the ride and pick up a bar and chain for the 046, I am getting in the price neighborhood of new 441cm or the on sale 461 at the dealer. I don't really need ported and there is something to be said about new and warranty when there is that much of an investment versus an at least 14 year old saw. Plus I cant appreciate the power of a 70cc saw let alone a ported one so unfortunately I cannot use the "its ported" justification for the saw. I think I will probably end up going with newer models because if something big was to break I don't know if I could fix it. I probably could but I don't have that confidence yet.

I've never had a saw back to the dealer, and 046s are rock solid, so to me the porting would be a big plus, especially in a saw of that size that would likely do a lot of bucking of decent size wood. When you see the time saved bucking a decent size log with a saw like that, you never want to go back.

It is like using wooden arrows after you have shot carbon.

A new saw will likely go down in value, this one likely will not. When opportunity knocks ...

All very good points Mike. But alas I am still window shopping the new saw I don't really need fund isn't quite up to snuff with what I am looking at.
Oh you NEED a new saw! We ALL need new saws!
I still haven't told my wife about the last saw I bought. I just never set them all in the same place. Lol.

image.jpg Scrounge for my scrounge. Since hanging around you guys, I have learned wood on ground is bad. So I scrounged some skids that I will cut into 3 and place along my fence to stack wood on. This is my next years wood that I planned on splitting either in the fall or next spring so I will take it down, split it and stack on skids.

Why bother cutting the skids? Just leave as they are and stack two rows deep on the skids.

Like this
7b5eefd790fc7ad3ae44c7f1825308f8.jpg

4413e3c7669816d9297dbd261e281140.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1437444559804.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1437444648343.jpg

Well I have been dealing with some issues over the last week. Mainly breaking a rod in my mowing tractor. After quotes for rebuild exceeded 700, I decided that I wanted to go bigger than a garden tractor.

I picked up a 2004 jd 4010, 722 hours. It is the tightest turning tractor I've ever been on. I love it for mowing.

Can't wait to use it to start skidding logs from the woods.

Why bother cutting the skids? Just leave as they are and stack two rows deep on the skids.

Like this
7b5eefd790fc7ad3ae44c7f1825308f8.jpg

4413e3c7669816d9297dbd261e281140.jpg
I've got a page wire fence across the back of my place. The posts make really good ends to stack against and I like the way it looks stacked back there.

Back