Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took some pics today, because everyone wants to see pics! Converting rounds like this into firewood with nothing but a Fiskars is real work, but hey, you need something to keep you in shape, and what would life be w/o challenges! Some of them took a lot of smacks, but everything I put on the chopping block split. (It is all Chestnut Oak).

Did a face cord in an hour, my shirt and pants were drenched in sweat, and then the trailer gets a flat on the way to my daughter's house. Instead of dealing with the Tonka Toy stuff in the car, I dropped the trailer and went home and got a hydraulic jack and cross wrench. Thankfully my spare, which has been under the trailer for at least 5 yrs, still had a little air pressure and I pumped it up to the recommended level.

Somehow, the mud flap was scraping the inside of the tire and the sidewall blew out. Luckily, I was going slow, had just gone through a light that just turned green. Some days, things are just a little harder than others!

Attachments

• June302014 014.jpg
    June302014 014.jpg
    124.1 KB
  • June302014 016.jpg
    June302014 016.jpg
    121.1 KB
Mike , my wife says some of them pieces are to big ..... Go split them in half LOL

Happy Canada Day from up here !
Here's a couple of non firewood pics from here .

fi7avJCUl28LjpcsHql9BWfRIdRhHu6CW74DYpVe9Ao=w1098-h824-no

IMG_20140629_142003.jpg

1402498038199.jpg

This past Saturday a storm blew thru the area and took down some trees. One of my friends lost a limb off of a maple and he offered me the wood. One of his neighbors also lost a limb from a maple tree. I ended up with a pile about 12X3X3, Just under a cord.

Attachments

• DSC01028.JPG
    DSC01028.JPG
    158.6 KB
You know, my dad has a saying about that, "Son, the things you remember best in life hurt or cost you money"......I didn't really understand how right he was at the time....25 years later I'm trying to make my kids understand...They have the same vacant look I'm sure I had when he told it to me......Argh.....
We try so hard to protect them from that kind of education but it would probably be better to stand back and watch the small bumps teach them to avoid the big ones. My youngest is 30, apparently I've been a lousy teacher, they sure know where to find pain.

I scrounged a load of firewood today,

standard.jpg

My neighbor has a bunch of tree's down and "for the most part" limbed,

standard.jpg

I skidded this load out today and loaded them on my wagon. There's a LOT more to get there. so i'll keep picking at them... Some of them will make pretty good saw logs too...

SR

I hope mainewoods is OK. Makes me nervous when an active member is suddenly quiet.

Yeah. I like Clint and hope he's doing fine.

Sometimes ya just get busy and have to lay low for a while. I went almost 2 months without posting recently cause the store goes nuts in the spring. Didn't even respond to PM's. (sorry guys). Just didn't have time for the sites.

Things are getting back to normal now, and it's fun checking back in here. Glad to see that this thread is still going, cause it's a favorite of mine. I have continued cutting though, and I'll get some pics up at some point.

Ya know boys, beginning of July and hot and sticky out there, but............only 60-90 days and we'll be burning again. :)

Sawyer Rob:
What is that RED thing between the Tractor and the Wagon????

David

OH, I see. A winch. Never seen such a thing.
The Winch it self, Does it have a pump that is ran off the PTO???

David

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE!

The area in which I live is rich in Revolutionary War history. Several of the mountains my wife and I hike were previously used as lookout points for British ships & troops during the war, and some of the hiking trials were previously used by revolutionary war troops.

Plaques on the road mark the routes of both the British Major John Andre, who met with traitor General Benedict Arnold at West Point (Andre was captured in Sleepy Hollow), and Sybil Ludington. Sybil (our local Paul Revere) was 16 when she rode 40 miles on a rainy night to alert 400 local militiamen (under the command of her father Col Henry Ludington) of the Battle and burning of Danbury CT. Sybil was the oldest of his 12 children, and a statue in Carmel NY commemorates her action.

I've attached a picture of West Point from Mt Taurus in Cold Spring that reflects the strategic importance of that location in controlling the Hudson. NYC is on the skyline (hard to make out), and the Bear Mtn Bridge is at the furthest point where you can see the river.

Hope everyone enjoys the Holiday and appreciates the freedom we have.

Attachments

• May 2012 009.JPG
    May 2012 009.JPG
    97.1 KB
OH, I see. A winch. Never seen such a thing. The Winch it self, Does it have a pump that is ran off the PTO???
David

David, it runs off the PTO... I set the RPM's at about 1,300 and it kicks azz! Here's a U-tube of it in action,

SR

Latest posts

Back