Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks, I'll look into that. I know I used to be able to get 562xp cases for $200.00 to the door, and bearings alone cost all but that. $250.00 seems good for a complete case. First 572xp I've had to do any major work to. Last one was a 576xp and it wasn't worth fixing till he was done running it over with the skidder.
Won't be 250 no more.
There was a bunch of lower parts listed in the trading post a couple weeks ago.
@brad ruch may have some to.

This is for you guys that need a "new technique" for your wood cutting skills.

SR

I like how he "saws" with the chainsaw! :lol:
Season 3 Homer GIF by The Simpsons

I like how he "saws" with the chainsaw! :lol:
Season 3 Homer GIF by The Simpsons
He's removing smaller portions to keep the saw cutting straight in the root flare, it's a real problem with a dull saw in very hard wood. They use a similar technique when cutting lumber, it's pretty cool to watch, especially when they are barefoot and smoking lol.
When I'm cutting near the ground or an object I don't want to hit on the opposite side, I will pull the saw towards me so the bar tip is just in from back or bottom, then plunge through just enough to finish the cut. Great little trick, but I've been accused of "sawing" the wood lol.

No doubt I'm getting screwed.
The rural cooperatives more or less bend everyone over.

What galls me the most is the monthly e-newsletter we get from their CFO telling us how great of a job they are doing.

When we first installed our dual fuel rate electric boiler, electrical heat was comparable to .65 cent per gallon propane. Now I think it is more like $2.00 a gallon propane.

The rural cooperatives more or less bend everyone over.

What galls me the most is the monthly e-newsletter we get from their CFO telling us how great of a job they are doing.

When we first installed our dual fuel rate electric boiler, electrical heat was comparable to .65 cent per gallon propane. Now I think it is more like $2.00 a gallon propane.
Propane cost has gone through the roof too. My uncle fill tanks as a side gig at his shop. He used to charge customer $12.00 for a grill sized tank. Now it's $26.00. Even for me at his cost is $15.00. Just ridiculous. We keep talking about getting gas or electric heat in the house, as the furnace needs filled every 10 ish hours over winter. The cost of a new system is just more then we are comfortable spending right now for gas or electric. Heck I can get a nice used oil furnace for supplemental heat for cheap, but the oil cost an arm and a leg. What do you do?

Couple local FB Marketplace scores recently the dead very dry Green Ash up to 17" diameter barely a couple miles from me yesterday morning,and some big old Mulberry barely a mile round trip in old neighborhood from me this morning.Roughly 80% of the Mulberry will be future small woodworking material - some bowl blanks for woodturning,a few smaller slabs for cutting boards,other things like small cabinet/furniture parts.I took the biggest & the best,left the rest šŸ‘ The Ash I took most of the bigger rounds for firewood - a nearby neighbor of the homeowner took a wheelbarrow full of the bigger rounds for various future projects (nice guy,a fellow woodturner/artisan in his mid 40's he said) The homeowner told me "There's 2 more dead Ash on the property you may've noticed,we're gonna have those removed later this week,you're more than welcome to take as much of it also....I politely replied "I may come back in a few days,almost running out of storage space here,but we'll see...."

Plus its been almost 2 weeks since I was at the family cabin -havent finished cleaning up that deadfall from the last 2 visits - that county received around 5 inches rain last week,hopefully no tornadoes or other major storm damage like a neighboring county did - so I'll see if its too wet (finally after a 2 year drought) out there to do much anything.I can always cut up & temporarily stack what was done last time. A few trails,part of the area near the old semi dilapidated wood shed & garage need mowed,but am thinking it'll be too wet still to do that also now.

I needed a break anyway,even if just a temporary one haha Funny thing about being ''retired'' for almost 5 years now - I'm just as busy (most days) as when working full time 40+ hrs weekly.Just now if I'm hurting a bit too much,I take a day or two off from things,doing only what is needed,then returning when I feel better.But unless I over do things physically I actually feel better when staying active,its a proven fact your body will lose any strength & resilience if you are sedentary too long.I found that out after 31 day hospital stay from various COVID complications Dec 2021-Jan 2022 which I wont go into details here.Laying in hospital bed for almost 3 weeks before any physical therapy turned my body to jello,had no strength & could barely walk unassisted.

But even after getting home on Jan 11,it was a long period of rest & getting my strength back,almost mid May before I felt even close to ''normal'' -the first few weeks were rough- I couldnt even walk 50 feet up my driveway or across a grocery store parking lot without having to sit down & catch my breath,.I was given strict orders by my Doctor & others "Don't do anything but put on your boots for the next 3 months,dont even THINK about climbing/cutting a tree or even starting a small chainsaw blah blah......dont shovel any snow or even use the snowblower etc....Even if you feel like it after a month.....Your body took a tremendous hit,plus losing 30 lbs from all that it went through."
I actually listened to their advice for once lol and I'm no doubt stronger now (or just as strong) before getting so sick 2 & a half years ago

FREE Green Ash FB Marketplace 52624.jpg
DSC04638.JPG
DSC04641.JPG
DSC04643.JPG

Propane cost has gone through the roof too. My uncle fill tanks as a side gig at his shop. He used to charge customer $12.00 for a grill sized tank. Now it's $26.00. Even for me at his cost is $15.00. Just ridiculous. We keep talking about getting gas or electric heat in the house, as the furnace needs filled every 10 ish hours over winter. The cost of a new system is just more then we are comfortable spending right now for gas or electric. Heck I can get a nice used oil furnace for supplemental heat for cheap, but the oil cost an arm and a leg. What do you do?
The local big supply propane company charges $10 to refill a 20pound grill tank . He pretty much fills all tanks at all the commercial places that sell propane in my area

No the instructions said to not remove the coating . And that the pads will seat I also used the recommended pads the copper free low dust verity
I didn't read those...
Curious how long it stays on.
I did the same ones on the back of the excursion, but I removed it on the matting surfaces (cant image it not wearing off right away). They work like they should, so that's nice. Unfortunately I've got all the dang metal pieces off the old ones on my wheel and cap and it's all rusting :rare2:. I found another set of wheels off a 2006 4x4 that are the same(except two of the caps have the centers missing for the lockouts), just haven't made up my mind about spending the cash just yet.

I did the same ones on the back of the excursion, but I removed it on the matting surfaces (cant image it not wearing off right away). They work like they should, so that's nice. Unfortunately I've got all the dang metal pieces off the old ones on my wheel and cap and it's all rusting :rare2:. I found another set of wheels off a 2006 4x4 that are the same(except two of the caps have the centers missing for the lockouts), just haven't made up my mind about spending the cash just yet.
Have you tried using muriatic acid to remove the iron particles?

The coating didnā€™t last long . I did the normal break in 20mph come to a stop drive again to let the rotors cool and apply the brakes again at 20mph did this a number of times and the mating surfaces were a nice satin raw steel

The coating didnā€™t last long . I did the normal break in 20mph come to a stop drive again to let the rotors cool and apply the brakes again at 20mph did this a number of times and the mating surfaces were a nice satin raw steel
That makes sense. Seems like it would plug the pores of the pads up.
Have you tried using muriatic acid to remove the iron particles?
Nope.
It burned into the coating on the wheels. Is that what guys use, sure that would remove the coating on the wheel, but so would abrasive buffing and then polishing it. Not sure if it would ruin the chrome on the cap.

Back