Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have much experience with Smallmouths (but I hear they are great fighters) but comparing Striped Bass ... pound for pound, Bluefish easily outfight them, as does anything in the Tuna family.

Hook a Bluefish weighting in the teens on a spinning rod, and you will have all the fight you ever wished for. Striped Bass twice their size will not give you as much fight. Too bad Bluefish are not good eating because they are the scrappiest fish I have ever caught (and be careful when you unhook them, or you will be scarred for life - and they will go for you!)

A brief marinate to remove the fish flavor, and some Oregano will make them edible.
The key to good tasting Bluefish is to bleed them out right away. Cooking them in Mayo or Horseradish will suck the oil out of them. I used to fish the Rips off the end of Long Island and always had a blast down there with the Bluefish. One time I pulled in and landed one that had to be almost 2 feet long. It hit the boat floor, threw my hook and jumped right out of my 22 footer cabin cruiser. My friends and I were pissed. We caught over 60 Bues that day in just over 5 hours. The limit was 10 per person. All the small ones went back in and we took home 30 of them.

That would have been a nice barn to save. Pinned post and timber is before 1890-1900 in the midwest. Don't know about VA. Between 1890 and 1900 barns switched over to nailed pole barns in the Midwest. My Great Great Grandfather built a pinned timber frame barn in 1883. 14x14 oak beams on the stone foundation. Siding and all sawn on a reciprocating sawmill. My Great Grandfather built a pole barn with 24 to 36" wide slabs of cottonwood siding. The siding lasted from ~1905 until 1970 when it was replaced with pine 1x12. Both still stand, but unfortunately are no longer in the family.
Our 36' x 60' post and beam pinned barn was built between 1860 - 1865 based on the design.

My barn is pre civil war View attachment 1193415View attachment 1193416View attachment 1193417View attachment 1193418View attachment 1193419
Really need to get those slabs down they have been there for over 50 years according to my neighbor they were there when he moved in next door
View attachment 1193420
Your rafter support are different than our barn. The supports we have are mid position on the rafters. I'll try to look yours up in our barn book. Your rafter puring design looks like 1840's.

What type of wood do you suppose the posts and beams are? My father-in-law's barn is early 1900's vintage, constructed from whatever was fairly straight and easily accessible, some beech, some elm, some sugar maple. It has not held nearly as well as your building.
Our1860's barn was made out of Chestnut. The 1735 - 1750 farmhouse and attached buildings are also made of Chestnut.

I don't know if I ever posted up pictures of our barn restoration that we did back in the 1980's and again in 2004. This barn was build around 1860 - 1865. The barn is 36' x 60'. Back in 1980 we lost the left rear corner support. I replaced that with a new beam and 8' x 8' x 12' sill beam. Then we rebuilt the 36' collapsing stone foundation wall on the right front side of the barn that had pushed the barn sideways 13". The center of the barn had also dropped down by 9" in the center of the barn due to rotting basement upright posts. The first step was to raise the right side of the barn off the 36' collapsing wall and rebuild it. Many of the rocks were too big to manhandle. My FIL, one older brother and I busted them all up with sledgehammers. We rebuilt the wall with those rocks and cement. I would have used my tractor to move the rocks but I didn't have enough clearance to get the tractor under that part of the barn. We pulled the barn back over into position using 12 ton house foundation screw jacks and posts laid up against the left side first floor barn beams. On the opposite side I had my old Ford backhoe up against the new barn foundation wall which is 3' thick at the base. I had cables attached to the opposite side of the barn and my backhoe dipper arm. Once in place we lifted the barn up section by section in the middle to square up the first floor and replaced all the basement posts. In 2000 the left front section had collapsed internally from the ridgeline outward and back 3 rooms all the way to the basement. In September of 2004 I quit my fulltime job to get this barn back up. We hired a guy to do it but he was not up to his reputation and was never there a full day until I started on the barn myself fulltime. All the outer beams and rafters in Barn 23 picture were replaced including the purlings. The 8' x 8' x 12' beans were bought already cut. Finish sizing was done onsite. The roof rafters were brought in as 24' long Lodge Pole Pine trees. I cut these onsite down to 23' length and squared up one side and debarked them all. I did the squaring up using a Husqvarna 55 chainsaw freehand and planed them flat with a Makita 6"planer. . Since December 22nd 2004 the barn has been secure.

Attachments

• Barn2.jpg
    Barn2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Barn14.jpg
    Barn14.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Barn23.jpg
    Barn23.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Barn22.jpg
    Barn22.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Barn35.jpg
    Barn35.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Barn33.jpg
    Barn33.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
  • Barn30.jpg
    Barn30.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Barn39.jpg
    Barn39.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0
The key to good tasting Bluefish is to bleed them out right away. Cooking them in Mayo or Horseradish will suck the oil out of them. I used to fish the Rips off the end of Long Island and always had a blast down there with the Bluefish. One time I pulled in and landed one that had to be almost 2 feet long. It hit the boat floor, threw my hook and jumped right out of my 22 footer cabin cruiser. My friends and I were pissed. We caught over 60 Bues that day in just over 5 hours. The limit was 10 per person. All the small ones went back in and we took home 30 of them.
When I was toddler my dad twice brought home a Blue longer than I was tall. Somewhere I’m sure he or Mustang Mike have pics
IMG_9753.jpegIMG_9752.jpeg
Mustang man is the one with the pimp hat 🤣

Went to the range today with my new birthday present ... a Garmin Chronograph and was very pleased with the results from my 338-06.

The Hodgdon Load Data (available on-line) shows 61 grains of H380 pushing a 210 grain bullets at 2,725 FPS. H380 also produces lower pressure than other powders producing similar velocities, and no powder exceeded 2,780 FPS.

My rifle loaded with 60.5 H380 pushes a 210 grain Barnes TTSX bullet at an average of 2,827.9 FPS with an SD of only 11.2 and a 200 grain Hornady SST at an average of 2,847.5 FPS with a SD on only 12.9.

Both bullets shoot well (and in the same place), but I took both the Bear and Buck with the TTSX bullet last year. That said, it is nice to know that I can target shoot with a bullet that cost only about 1/2 what the Barnes TTSX cost.

I'm very pleased that my "pet load" shoots a little flatter and hits a little harder than I thought!

I just purchased a new straw cowboy hat ... the one in your pictures was my first and the new one is #3. In addition to shading your eyes, it is good to protect your ears and the back of the neck from the sun when you are on the boat. Those cowboys knew what they were doing!
What role does the feather plume play? Asking for Matt... :yes:

Ya der Hay! Yoopers! Looks like a good place. If I ever get way up dere in that part of the UP, I hope to go there. We just went to Pioneer park in Rhinelander, WI. I took some pictures to post, but have not processed them to the computer yet. It is several museums in one place. Logging museum (++) Sawmill Museum (+) Railroad Museum, with narrow ga. Baldwin logging locomotive (2-8-0) (+) CCC museum, fire museum, drum corps museum, and more. Got chased out by a Hodag, and went home. (If you've never been to Rhinelander, you will never understand about the Hodag)
Beware the Hodag!!!
Stay out of the woods, kids.

Good work! Anymore, I find working on old tractors more satisfying than about anything else, 'cept chootin. Gettin too oldt to be crawling under cars for fun. My dad had a plaque: "Ve get too soon oldt, und too late schmardt". How true!
Dad and I have 15 antique tractors between both of us so plenty of stuff to keep us busy. We just like having an old piece of Americana around, they are so simple and robust. I am planning a shop build in the near future and it is going to have a lift in it, I am also tired of wallowing around in the dirt and gavel

Horseradish :baba:

Sounds like a day to remember

Dad and I have 15 antique tractors between both of us so plenty of stuff to keep us busy. We just like having an old piece of Americana around, they are so simple and robust. I am planning a shop build in the near future and it is going to have a lift in it, I am also tired of wallowing around in the dirt and gavel
I can tell you first half how glad I am my shops up and I don't have to work in the stones or run to someone else's shop to work on my stuff. Make it twice as big as you think it should be. I'm already trying to figure out how to make mine bigger and it isn't even finished yet.

I can tell you first half how glad I am my shops up and I don't have to work in the stones or run to someone else's shop to work on my stuff. Make it twice as big as you think it should be. I'm already trying to figure out how to make mine bigger and it isn't even finished yet.
I always tell guys who are building a shop/barn to make it twice as big as they think they need. What you say @chipper1 ? :innocent: I thought when we bought this place the existing 40x60 pole barn was plenty big. NOT!!! Saving stuff for future use doesn't help me.:crazy2:

Back