Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we'll be getting a substantial amount of rain between today and tomorrow. Works already has the flood gates open at the dam and is letting the creek drain to minimum water level and prepping for lower area flooding. We do need rain, but not all at once. Gonna screw up most of my plans for tomorrow and probably Saturday. Guess I should stop off and fill the diesel cans, in case the power goes out. Good news, I may actually get to keep working in the ceiling in the shop if my other plans fall through.

I always drill a 3/16 hole in the flange. I typically only have air lock trouble on cold side thermostats, not eliminating that as a possibility on this one but don't think it is very likely. Once the rain passes I will mess with it again and also verify the gauge with my laser temp gun.
A 1/16" or 1/8" is plenty big enough to let the air escape. I have been doing this for over 50 years on any thermostat that doesn't have a bleed hole.

IMG_0977.jpegIMG_0982.jpegGood morning

Made some sawdust fly, but not the typical sawdust we make.

This deck was built in 2001 using treated lumber for framing and cedar decking. Had to replace a few cedar boards in 2018 and a few more yesterday. we have a couple of parties at the house over the next few weeks so need to get things whipped back into shape.

Between dealing with the flood, trying to do some camping, and all the projects my kids and I work on (mostly outboards and boats in the summer) there’s no time for anything else so now it’s crunch time.

I know there are many hunters and/or shooters on this site. We have many tools available to us today that give us information that we would just have to "guess at" in yesteryear.

Using the BC from the Bullet Manufacturer's website,
Loading data that is free on the internet from Hodgdon.
New powders like Hodgdon LVR that allow 170 grain bullets to be pushed to velocities that were previously only attained with 150 grain bullets,
A Garmin Chronograph which tells me that my 338-06 is producing velocities that are over 100 FPS faster than the loading data shows,
and the Hornady Ballistic Calculator (also free on the internet)

We can now produce information that was not previously available.

On Tue, both the 338-06 and my 26" barrel 30-30 really produced results that exceeded expectations as follows:

Attachments

• 30-30With170SpeerHotCore_001.jpg
    30-30With170SpeerHotCore_001.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 338-06WithBarnes210TTSX.jpg
    338-06WithBarnes210TTSX.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 0
Finally getting around to fixing the ac in my expedition. The compressor developed a leak around where the two housing slide together. Took it off, tote it apart and the o-ring was torn. Dug around in my spares bin and found one that should work. Put a light coating of 574 loctite on it. Let it set up for about an hour then stuck it back in. Another 5 minutes or so and it's held ~29" vac for half an hour.
Obligatory shop picture, should have built it bigger lol. That air compressor, my older brother was going to throw out. The compressor went put. He bought a new one, then his father in law bought him a new one. Should work out great, my other 5hp compressor doesn't quite keep up with higher demand tools, this one I'll only use for those situations, but the extra system volume will help out quite a bit.

Attachments

• 20240808_180322.jpg
    20240808_180322.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240808_180443.jpg
    20240808_180443.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
The key to good tasting Bluefish is to bleed them out right away. Cooking them in Mayo or Horseradish will suck the oil out of them. I used to fish the Rips off the end of Long Island and always had a blast down there with the Bluefish. One time I pulled in and landed one that had to be almost 2 feet long. It hit the boat floor, threw my hook and jumped right out of my 22 footer cabin cruiser. My friends and I were pissed. We caught over 60 Bues that day in just over 5 hours. The limit was 10 per person. All the small ones went back in and we took home 30 of them.

Wish I was around for the bluefish blitz’s of years past.

I scrounged this guy up in late May out of Lewes, De.

My buddies dad gave me a recipe about soaking the filets for 1 day in milk, dumping that batch with fresh milk for 2 days then they are good. I thought if you really need to go through all that just to get rid of the bad taste/oil is it really worth it? The wife snapped this pic then he went back in the water.IMG_2623.png

Sorry to disappoint you even more. No firewood pics. Haven't had time to work on my saws and I really have enough firewood to last me for years. I'm cleaning up my firewood stack and laying down a new pallet for my Black Locust I cut in the Spring. In the meantime, I'm planning on building a small shed (12' x 16') that will be laying on 6x6 PT beams (up off the ground). Kind of like those pre-fab sheds you see being sold.

Anyone know if those builders use PT floor joists or just untreated pine. The rim joists will be PT but I don't see the point of PT joists if they'll be covered up by the floor.

Wish I was around for the bluefish blitz’s of years past.

I scrounged this guy up in late May out of Lewes, De.

My buddies dad gave me a recipe about soaking the filets for 1 day in milk, dumping that batch with fresh milk for 2 days then they are good. I thought if you really need to go through all that just to get rid of the bad taste/oil is it really worth it? The wife snapped this pic then he went back in the water.View attachment 1196093

When we get them, we cut their throats and chuck them in icewater slurry on the boat. Then fillet back home and then light fry in olive oil with garlic and rosemary on the same day. The fillets can stay in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking no worries.

Sorry to disappoint you even more. No firewood pics. Haven't had time to work on my saws and I really have enough firewood to last me for years. I'm cleaning up my firewood stack and laying down a new pallet for my Black Locust I cut in the Spring. In the meantime, I'm planning on building a small shed (12' x 16') that will be laying on 6x6 PT beams (up off the ground). Kind of like those pre-fab sheds you see being sold.

Anyone know if those builders use PT floor joists or just untreated pine. The rim joists will be PT but I don't see the point of PT joists if they'll be covered up by the floor.

Just kick over one of your stacks, park a saw and an X27 next to it and say you gutsed it out in the 1000° heat for four hours to gittit done. We've had like one scrounge in the last 3 months, most people will have forgotten what it looks like :yes:

While I had the expedition in the shop, I had my wife hop in a wiggle the steering to see where the slop was. Ended up pulling the skid plate off and adjusting the steering box. Have a little play in the carrier arm yet. But the box tightened up and took most the play out. I'll order that carrier arm and it should be good to go for a while again. Changed oil since I had everything in hand. Not because of millage, but it's been close to 3 years since it's been changed. Figured I need to start driving it more or just decide to sell it off.

For the bicycling guys here. My Uncle Dan in the senior Olympics in Clarkston, Michigan in the 5K race. 80-84 year old class. First race ever in his life. All he had been riding were yard sale schwinns till he bought a Cannondale a few weeks ago that he rode in the race.
1723198710224.png

I use PT lumber for anything outside of the vapor barrier, but I am not a professional builder. I would rather spend a few more dollars per board and not worry about it, it gets quite damp here at times.

Back