Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always tell guys who are building a shop/barn to make it twice as big as they think they need. What you say @chipper1 ? :innocent: I thought when we bought this place the existing 40x60 pole barn was plenty big. NOT!!! Saving stuff for future use doesn't help me.:crazy2:
Well, in my case I knew it wasn't going to be big enough. Township ordinances/ property line set back I couldn't put it in the drive way any further, and I'm as right to the property line ad I can be. If I ever am able to get a lot of fill for free/cheap I'll fill in the hill behind the shop and blow the back wall out. Just have other stuff to do before that happens. The shop will be good how it is for the near future.

I tested loads in 4 different guns yesterday. The 338-06 loads were faster than expected, the 30-30 and 220 were close to the velocities I expected, and the 348 loads were all somewhat less than what I was expecting.

I kept all of the ammo in a cooler until I loaded it as to more closely duplicate actual velocities during hunting season.

I will likely modify or change my 220 Swift load. Although it sent a 55 grain bullet out at an average of 3,862.6 FPS the SD was a horrible 61.9 and the extreme spread 151.2. This load has been a tach driver on some days, but not on all of them.

I tested loads in 4 different guns yesterday. The 338-06 loads were faster than expected, the 30-30 and 220 were close to the velocities I expected, and the 348 loads were all somewhat less than what I was expecting.

I kept all of the ammo in a cooler until I loaded it as to more closely duplicate actual velocities during hunting season.

I will likely modify or change my 220 Swift load. Although it sent a 55 grain bullet out at an average of 3,862.6 FPS the SD was a horrible 61.9 and the extreme spread 151.2. This load has been a tach driver on some days, but not on all of them.
Watched a sniper show last evening. The one gun/round they were using was the 300 win-mag. At 300 yards they said it would put a guy out even if he was wearing body armor.

Yea, I have heard at least 2 politicians try to blame the shooting of Trump on AR rifles being available, and all I can think of is good thing he was not using a good bolt action with a good scope or Trump would be dead! So many idiots out there that don't understand what they are talking about.

Yea, I have heard at least 2 politicians try to blame the shooting of Trump on AR rifles being available, and all I can think of is good thing he was not using a good bolt action with a good scope or Trump would be dead! So many idiots out there that don't understand what they are talking about.
You got that right for Politicians and most of the News Media.

I don't know if I ever posted up pictures of our barn restoration that we did back in the 1980's and again in 2004. This barn was build around 1860 - 1865. The barn is 36' x 60'. Back in 1980 we lost the left rear corner support. I replaced that with a new beam and 8' x 8' x 12' sill beam. Then we rebuilt the 36' collapsing stone foundation wall on the right front side of the barn that had pushed the barn sideways 13". The center of the barn had also dropped down by 9" in the center of the barn due to rotting basement upright posts. The first step was to raise the right side of the barn off the 36' collapsing wall and rebuild it. Many of the rocks were too big to manhandle. My FIL, one older brother and I busted them all up with sledgehammers. We rebuilt the wall with those rocks and cement. I would have used my tractor to move the rocks but I didn't have enough clearance to get the tractor under that part of the barn. We pulled the barn back over into position using 12 ton house foundation screw jacks and posts laid up against the left side first floor barn beams. On the opposite side I had my old Ford backhoe up against the new barn foundation wall which is 3' thick at the base. I had cables attached to the opposite side of the barn and my backhoe dipper arm. Once in place we lifted the barn up section by section in the middle to square up the first floor and replaced all the basement posts. In 2000 the left front section had collapsed internally from the ridgeline outward and back 3 rooms all the way to the basement. In September of 2004 I quit my fulltime job to get this barn back up. We hired a guy to do it but he was not up to his reputation and was never there a full day until I started on the barn myself fulltime. All the outer beams and rafters in Barn 23 picture were replaced including the purlings. The 8' x 8' x 12' beans were bought already cut. Finish sizing was done onsite. The roof rafters were brought in as 24' long Lodge Pole Pine trees. I cut these onsite down to 23' length and squared up one side and debarked them all. I did the squaring up using a Husqvarna 55 chainsaw freehand and planed them flat with a Makita 6"planer. . Since December 22nd 2004 the barn has been secure.
Strong work. Hat's off to ya!

Letā€™s not slide into the politics and taxes boysā€¦

I donā€™t wanna see this fine thread turned into a shot show

So, what do you guys think, 1500 diesel or 2500 diesel to drag the mini excavator to camp??

I have access to used of bothā€¦.

Kinda wanna see what that 1500 can do
2500.... no point in over working the half ton. Did that crap as a broke kid. Broke the truck a lot, always over weight and under braked. Few times it was pretty scary trying to stop. Screw that.

2500.... no point in over working the half ton. Did that crap as a broke kid. Broke the truck a lot, always over weight and under braked. Few times it was pretty scary trying to stop. Screw that.
7500lb mini on a 7ton trailer, this bugger should do

But, youā€™re right. Last time, I got the 2500 chipped truck just about stuck in the mud dragging the machine back off the mountain. Was spinning both rear and one front tire getting it out the muck.

Thought I was going to have to unload the machine to get the rig unstuck

Dunno if I want to do all that with a 1500
itā€¦IMG_8284.png

You guys ever seen one of these crawling through the woodsā€¦..

Not the funnest rides on the trails up there, but sometimes you do what you gotta do

I can only get it about half way there on the trails before it gets too narrow and sketchy for the trailer

Even then, itā€™s a ***** to get it back off
IMG_8285.jpeg

I can tell you first half how glad I am my shops up and I don't have to work in the stones or run to someone else's shop to work on my stuff. Make it twice as big as you think it should be. I'm already trying to figure out how to make mine bigger and it isn't even finished yet.

FACT!

My neighbour, nice fella, (Austrian, was in the Hitler Youth and wielded a panzerfaust for a brief period as the Americans were approaching in late 1944) told me to build the biggest shed you can. He said he could have gone a couple of metres further back when doing the cut and fill on his house and has regretted the loss of basement space since.

Well, I assuming that I have a brand new thermostat stuck closed. Drove it up and down the driveway 1 time and it was at 210. Top tank was warm but core itself was cool and so was the air being blow out by the fan which tells me there was no coolant circulating.

1723120349357.png

Letā€™s not slide into the politics and taxes boysā€¦

I donā€™t wanna see this fine thread turned into a shot show

So, what do you guys think, 1500 diesel or 2500 diesel to drag the mini excavator to camp??

I have access to used of bothā€¦.

Kinda wanna see what that 1500 can do
How much is the trailer and mini . New 1500 trucks are pretty capable towing . If I was doing on a regular basis the 2500 . Are these trucks dealership vehicles ?

Edit read your second post minimum the 2500

Well, I assuming that I have a brand new thermostat stuck closed. Drove it up and down the driveway 1 time and it was at 210. Top tank was warm but core itself was cool and so was the air being blow out by the fan which tells me there was no coolant circulating.

View attachment 1195930
There may be air trapped in the system . I always drill a small hole in the thermostat prior to install . Not much water gets through it to effect warmup but air will bleed out

There may be air trapped in the system . I always drill a small hole in the thermostat prior to install . Not much water gets through it to effect warmup but air will bleed out
I always drill a 3/16 hole in the flange. I typically only have air lock trouble on cold side thermostats, not eliminating that as a possibility on this one but don't think it is very likely. Once the rain passes I will mess with it again and also verify the gauge with my laser temp gun.

7500lb mini on a 7ton trailer, this bugger should do

But, youā€™re right. Last time, I got the 2500 chipped truck just about stuck in the mud dragging the machine back off the mountain. Was spinning both rear and one front tire getting it out the muck.

Thought I was going to have to unload the machine to get the rig unstuck

Dunno if I want to do all that with a 1500
itā€¦View attachment 1195861
Id still take the 2500. I know the half ton could do it, but you have a better option available.

Strong work. Hat's off to ya!
Thanks, It was a real ass-busting project that I worked on 7 days a week except for Thanksgiving. I also lost 20 pounds. I did have a contract with him. In the end he tried to up the price by $12K.. I told him that if it wasn't for me quitting my job that my barn never would have been closed in before Winter and that he's lucky that we paid him what we did. The sad part is that he came highly recommended.

Latest posts

Back