Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had a number of maroon motors. Also have the green 1949 Johnson 2.5 that my grandpa and great grandfather purchased together. I do need a new water pump eccentric for it. in 1959 they also purchased together a 12 horse gale buccaneer which I ran until it blew up in the early 2000’s.
You work on those old motors? Where do you get your parts? Carb kits, water pumps etc. I've got a Scott Atwater gifted to me by a cherished neighbor.

You work on those old motors? Where do you get your parts? Carb kits, water pumps etc. I've got a Scott Atwater gifted to me by a cherished neighbor.
I do. I primarily work on motors within the OMC umbrella because of parts interchangeability, often for decades. I’m not sure about Scott Atwater, I’ve only owned one of those and it was not running.

You can still get OMC parts back to the early 50s pretty easily. Older than that, it gets a little bit tougher.

Outboards are pretty easy to work on. The carbs are very simple and very forgiving. Also usually have a decent amount of room for fat fingers unlike a saw that is put together in close quarters.

The one thing with outboards is very few ever die due to being “worn out” or ran hard. Usually they fail due to bad gas and often are running again with a carb kit or a carb swap. Other than that, a lot of lower unit issues from people hitting things.

You can often get 60 to 70-year-old motors and they fire right up as long as they were stored without gas. Then of course you get the occasional problem child with multiple issues. But going back to other comment about collecting within families makes it a lot easier to fix things because once you have a few parts motors, you can fix almost anything on them.

When you get into the mid 50’s and older motors that have the old pressurized “two line” fuel system were often mothballed in the 70s and 80s due to the tank or lines failing. Most of these can be easily converted to the more reliable modern single line system. If you have a newer parts motor that can donate the fuel pump and the impulse system.

Sorry, I know that’s a lot of information but yes, they’re pretty easy to work on.

To be clear – I’m a pretty decent cook, but I’m far from a pitmaster. I’ve had this smoker for almost 4 years and probably used it a dozen times. The propane regular had gone bad because I think a spider built a web in there so it was sidelined for quite a while. I’ve smoked a few things on the Weber as well with varying results.

It seems to hold temp nicely with the new regulator.

I do. I primarily work on motors within the OMC umbrella because of parts interchangeability, often for decades. I’m not sure about Scott Atwater, I’ve only owned one of those and it was not running.

You can still get OMC parts back to the early 50s pretty easily. Older than that, it gets a little bit tougher.

Outboards are pretty easy to work on. The carbs are very simple and very forgiving. Also usually have a decent amount of room for fat fingers unlike a saw that is put together in close quarters.

The one thing with outboards is very few ever die due to being “worn out” or ran hard. Usually they fail due to bad gas and often are running again with a carb kit or a carb swap. Other than that, a lot of lower unit issues from people hitting things.

You can often get 60 to 70-year-old motors and they fire right up as long as they were stored without gas. Then of course you get the occasional problem child with multiple issues. But going back to other comment about collecting within families makes it a lot easier to fix things because once you have a few parts motors, you can fix almost anything on them.

When you get into the mid 50’s and older motors that have the old pressurized “two line” fuel system were often mothballed in the 70s and 80s due to the tank or lines failing. Most of these can be easily converted to the more reliable modern single line system. If you have a newer parts motor that can donate the fuel pump and the impulse system.

Sorry, I know that’s a lot of information but yes, they’re pretty easy to work on.
Depending on the specific 2 line system, you can still get parts for them. My uncle had a guy bring in a old wooden boat with a Chrysler outboard on it. Fuel system was shot. He managed to get new fuel line and all the parts to rebuild the carb and primer in the fuel tank. I figured it would never run again. The owner was so happy he's been bringing it back for regular service ever since.

So, I'm pretty sure I have an air leak in my redmax gz4000. I was having some running issues with it the other day, so ended up finishing the small work with my friends cs400 echo. (That's a story on its own.) Fiddled with it a bit last evening and can't get it to hold idle worth a squirt. As much as I love that saw, parts are getting harder to find for it. Been debating on getting a newer version, replacing it or fixing it. Kinda sucks either way, I don't have the time to fiddle with it and It's probably my most used saw next to the ms400.
In shop newes, the chimney is finished. Ran to Paul b's right after work and grabbed a 2 foot section of insulated chimney, ($139.00 😬) got home, installed it and the cap. Shop looks kinda odd with it poking up through the roof. Made some more furring strips for the ceiling, guess I'll have to run and get a few more, I'm short 5, 10' pieces for the back of the shop. My logging buddy didn't have anymore over 8' long at his place. Kinda sucks, they are an odd ball being 2" wide and 1" thick. Everything commercially available is going to be thicker or thinner. May just grab some 2x3 and cut them down.

Depending on the specific 2 line system, you can still get parts for them. My uncle had a guy bring in an old wooden boat with a Chrysler outboard on it. Fuel system was shot. He managed to get new fuel line and all the parts to rebuild the carb and primer in the fuel tank. I figured it would never run again. The owner was so happy he's been bringing it back for regular service ever since.
Don’t get me wrong you can still make this two line system work and occasionally you even find a vintage tank and line that will hold pressure. But for regular runners it’s much easier to convert to single line.

The boys came home with this tonight. Much like saw brands, you are either a Mercury guy or you are not. I am not. Still like the classic lines of this motor though. Too bad it’s not a tiller model.
View attachment 1197789
Finally you got a "good engine" lol.

Finally made some time for the Mac 1-76. Rebuilt the carb, + nos main check kit. The factory screen was all gunked up. Skipped out on rebuilding the primer, seems to work just fine. Fuel lines all look and feel good. Tank was very clean. Had some sort of floppy plastic liner thing in it, I may leave that out. Looking forward to hearing it run once it's back together.

Attachments

• 20240815_195534.jpg
    20240815_195534.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240815_195528.jpg
    20240815_195528.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
The boys came home with this tonight. Much like saw brands, you are either a Mercury guy or you are not. I am not. Still like the classic lines of this motor though. Too bad it’s not a tiller model.
View attachment 1197789
Never owned a Mercury either, I had OMC's, a dinky little Yamaha and a Honda. I do think the Mercury's they produced in the late 60's and early 70's were the best looking outboards, especially the in-line 6's.

Never owned a Mercury either, I had OMC's, a dinky little Yamaha and a Honda. I do think the Mercury's they produced in the late 60's and early 70's were the best looking outboards, especially the in-line 6's.
I had an 1988 Mercury 50hp outboard years ago that ran great on a 15 foot Larson bowrider. It had the oil injection system on it. We had many Summers of fun on the water using that boat/motor before we moved up to a bigger boat with an I/O in it.

My old man raced in the unlimited outboard class with a 2.3L merc. Pretty much stuck with them till he got the angler, that has Johnson outboards on it, then he got the wellcraft with evinrudes on it. They've been decent for the most part, but a lot newer then the stuff he raced with.

Attachments

• 0131191831a.jpg
    0131191831a.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 2
Does it hover ?

I have one of these View attachment 1197955
It does. The old vids/commercials are pretty cool.
I found a box of the cutters that these use in a batch of misc saw parts I bought from a retired dealer. I had no idea what they were and tried giving them away…nobody else knew either. A little research later and found out they were worth $5-7…each 😳
Sold them on eBay in sets of 4. Box had 100 🤪

I'm really getting frustrated with older age. I jammed my left shoulder this week working on that Maple tree and tore up my rotator cuff. The Superspinatus on the top of my shoulder is partially or fully torn according to the MRI report. It doesn't hurt very much and Advil soothes it nicely. I thought at first that I had just pulled a muscle. After I had the MRI I was out cutting up Maple logs in my woodpile. My left shoulder felt pretty good afterwards. For now I am icing it, have it all taped up in place and taking it easy on it. I do see my surgeon on September 5th to see what is next. Recovery for a partially torn issue like this is the same for having it surgically repaired. If it is not completely torn I will forego the surgery and let it heal. I'm already doing minor therapy on it to keep the blood flowing thru that area which helps with the healing process. Oh I wish I was 30 years old again.

Attachments

• 20240816_093831.jpg
    20240816_093831.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 0
Back