Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does. The old vids/commercials are pretty cool.
I found a box of the cutters that these use in a batch of misc saw parts I bought from a retired dealer. I had no idea what they were and tried giving them away…nobody else knew either. A little research later and found out they were worth $5-7…each 😳
Sold them on eBay in sets of 4. Box had 100 🤪

I should have quoted SR I was responding to his post

Finally you got a "good engine" lol.
lol! I know they had some good models and some that were duds. I’ve mostly dealt with the duds. We had a 84’ 35 horse merc and nothing was nothing but problems. I’ve never been a fan of anything that had the flush spark plugs without the ground electrode. This one had tons of problems with fouling and was kind of a dog overall. When I reacquired the boat, I took that off and put a Johnson on.

When I worked for the marine dealership in college, he refused to work on Mercs. I think that was a mistake because he turned off a lot of people and probably could’ve sold some of them new motors. But they are a pain to work on, especially the ones that don’t have the fully removable hood.
especially the in-line 6's.
Tower of power! Definitely cool to look at

lol! I know they had some good models and some that were duds. I’ve mostly dealt with the duds. We had a 84’ 35 horse merc and nothing was nothing but problems. I’ve never been a fan of anything that had the flush spark plugs without the ground electrode. This one had tons of problems with fouling and was kind of a dog overall. When I reacquired the boat, I took that off and put a Johnson on.

When I worked for the marine dealership in college, he refused to work on Mercs. I think that was a mistake because he turned off a lot of people and probably could’ve sold some of them new motors. But they are a pain to work on, especially the ones that don’t have the fully removable hood.

Tower of power! Definitely cool to look at
ALL big 2-stroke outboards are cool, so long as someone else is buying the gas.

Does it hover ?
I was going to get a pict. of mine, but it's too dark where it's stored. Anyway, it does not hover and here's what "someone else" wrote about them,

They were made by, Snapper Company around 1956. They have a Clinton motor and a 18” wide cut. Has a turtle head on front. Distributed by Henry Diston. “Snappin Turtle” , Southern Saw Works, Atlanta, Georgia. Model 2ST19R.

And, here's a pict. of one, (not mine)

Snapper.jpg

SR

Got the 1-76 back together and running this evening. Man this thing just sounds mean! Straight up pain to get fuel to the carb at first, but then bam running. I think I have the carb set ok. Not super great with governed saws. Idle is good, I guess I'll have to get the chain freed up and put her in some wood to tweak the high side.
Edit: added a short video

Attachments

• 20240817_183426.jpg
    20240817_183426.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000004757.mp4
    45.5 MB
Got the 1-76 back together and running this evening. Man this thing just sounds mean! Straight up pain to get fuel to the carb at first, but then bam running. I think I have the carb set ok. Not super great with governed saws. Idle is good, I guess I'll have to get the chain freed up and put her in some wood to tweak the high side.
Edit: added a short video
Your video sounds great ... but I can't see a thing!

Got the new oil pump ,intermediate shaft and screen . Need to set the screen depth and put it together . I’ll get everything lined up then remove the pump to drive in the tube . IMG_8877.jpeg

Nice to see that it’s a 4 bolt main engine
IMG_8875.jpeg

The new intermediate shaft is solid metal no plastic coupler IMG_8873.jpeg

The old coupler has seen better days IMG_8874.jpeg

The pump I removed was the same as I bought a Melling 55-1s

I bought a tractor in the south and there must have been a hillbilly hobbit running it!

They had taken the stock seat off it and mounted one that was so low and far forward, a "normal sized" guy had all kinds of problems running it.

SO, this is how I fixed it,

Resized-20240813-141405.jpg

I'll probably change it again later, but at least it's a LOT more user friendly for now!

SR

Good morning. Busy but good day yesterday

Venison roast, venison brats, and beef short ribs on the smoker. Especially the venison was superb. Dipped those roast slices in horseradish cream-perfection.

Worked on the brush hog (carb will probably need to come off completely for a full clean.)

Then we built racks for the smaller outboard motors. The main runners are on another rack and only 3 motors were too big for the rack. Sure was nice to get all of that off the ground.
IMG_1196.jpegIMG_1197.jpegIMG_1201.jpegIMG_1195.jpegIMG_1211.jpegIMG_1216.jpeg

Mark, those four bolts were the first thing I noticed when you first posted about the pump

Great block to build on!!

It’s a strong running engine . Had a rebuild just prior to me buying the truck. I put 50k miles on it and it burned no oil . Leaked yes that’s why I’m going through it . One piece pan gasket new intake and valve cover gaskets too

In honor of 5600 pages of other stuff and some scrounging...View attachment 1198380While I was looking for a pic of the Makita EA5600 I found they're only $449.00 on Amazon. That's a good price for what is probably a reliable 50cc class saw. Might have to add one to my stable...:yes:
👍👍👍IMG_3474.jpeg

Back