Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I popped the carb off the brush hog. All the fuel inside was dark brown again from the seafoam dissolving varnish. Gave it a full clean but all the rubbers in the carb need replacement so I’ll grab a kit in the morning.

Otherwise it’s a beautiful day here.
Still raining here. Did the Sea Foam eat the rubber parts? I noticed that I did the 5600 page entry. Now if I only had a pointed finger to celebrate that feat.👆There we go.

Well I'm still a tree ID dumbass. Anyone use and can recommend a tree ID app? Finally bought a smoker, wanted one for years. Used it twice so far and over smoked my meats 😆

Figured it's time to dust off my chainsaw and try to harvest wood chunks myself. That 7910 above may have triggered my chainsaw addiction again.

Good morning. Busy but good day yesterday

Venison roast, venison brats, and beef short ribs on the smoker. Especially the venison was superb. Dipped those roast slices in horseradish cream-perfection.

Worked on the brush hog (carb will probably need to come off completely for a full clean.)

Then we built racks for the smaller outboard motors. The main runners are on another rack and only 3 motors were too big for the rack. Sure was nice to get all of that off the ground.
View attachment 1198351View attachment 1198352View attachment 1198353View attachment 1198354View attachment 1198355View attachment 1198356
Nice collection. I am a fan of the same groups of motors. Currently running a '69 9.5hp and an '83 35hp. I had a few projects before but there's no money in them unless you can get the motors super cheap or free. I give 75 for a 4 hp once and after 125 in parts and about 4 hours, I got 250 for it. Still I dig the johnnyrudes

Well I'm still a tree ID dumbass. Anyone use and can recommend a tree ID app? Finally bought a smoker, wanted one for years. Used it twice so far and over smoked my meats 😆

Figured it's time to dust off my chainsaw and try to harvest wood chunks myself. That 7910 above may have triggered my chainsaw addiction again.
Getter done, 😆IMG_3403.png

It’s a strong running engine . Had a rebuild just prior to me buying the truck. I put 50k miles on it and it burned no oil . Leaked yes that’s why I’m going through it . One piece pan gasket new intake and valve cover gaskets too
Years ago I had a place do up a 350 4 bolt short block for the boat that I bought. The previous owner left water in the block which cracked the block and heads. They repaired the heads by stitching the head gasket surface. The block was junk. I had about 10 hours on it when I knew something just wasn't right. It was feeling a bit sluggish. I pulled the heads off to find a wrist pin had walked out and grooved the cylinder wall really bad. The connecting rod on that cylinder was bent. The place did provide me with a new rebuilt 4 bolt short block and gasket set free of charge.

My 4yr old grandson says, "Grandpa, I don't have any wooden blocks to play with at home."

Well, I'm about to fix that, starting with these,

Resized-20240818-151340-S.jpg

Well, they are too big and there's not enough of them! So, it was time to saw them in half,

Resized-20240818-153948-S.jpg

There, that's a start! Next to sand them and build a nice wooden box to hold them all.

SR

This started out as just another picture of a bear ... till we requested the video!

Harvest one and you get two more (and none of them can be hunted this year!).

Hard to keep up with the proliferation of deer eaters! Second year in a row seeing more bear than deer, and I don't know how do get it to change!

Just not many people want to go bear hunting!

Attachments

• Bear2Cubs08-16-24.mp4
    9 MB
This started out as just another picture of a bear ... till we requested the video!

Hard to keep up with the proliferation of deer eaters! Second year in a row seeing more bear than deer, and I don't know how do get it to change!

Heck, we're just starting to see bear population go up again recently. If it continues I'll start getting my bear tag again. Was pretty much a waste of money unless you headed up state.

I'm grateful we live on Brewster Hill and we are not subject to flooding. They got over 10" of rain a few miles from here, and it is not done yet. Wave after wave of downpours.

There is a lot of flooding just to the East (in CT) and to the South (in Westchester).

It should stop later in the week.

If you get a NY license, I'm right across the border (Hancock NY) is where my property is. 50 Wooded Mountain top acres, 2 miles in off the grid.
If I had any real amount of vacation I'd take you up on that. Just managed to work my rotation at work to get the first week of rifle (deer) season off and only use 3 days of vacation up. (I get 5 vacation days and 3 personal/sick days.)

Sean, you ever get time off

We have permission to Hunt the neighboring properties too

I’ve been pushing him for years to shoot the damn bears, he is FINALLY on board!!

Two in 7 years barely put a dent in what’s up there

I let one walk by my stand as it was a tougher shot, it was headed right for my dad. He didn’t shoot, it came by me again about 150yrd out in thick (I missed) and then it trotted past Mike.

That year was the year I think he finally got convinced we need to start putting them in check

Mine and hisimage000000.jpegIMG_2787.jpeg

If I had any real amount of vacation I'd take you up on that. Just managed to work my rotation at work to get the first week of rifle (deer) season off and only use 3 days of vacation up. (I get 5 vacation days and 3 personal/sick days.)
Sean I started gettin a bear tag a few years ago when the first bear in York co was shot 2 miles from my place. Your welcome to come and hunt deer or anything else anytime. Deer are out of control over this way.

Sean I started gettin a bear tag a few years ago when the first bear in York co was shot 2 miles from my place. Your welcome to come and hunt deer or anything else anytime. Deer are out of control over this way.
thanks Steve, I appreciate that. See how this fall goes for me.

Still raining here. Did the Sea Foam eat the rubber parts? I noticed that I did the 5600 page entry. Now if I only had a pointed finger to celebrate that feat.👆There we go.
I believe the seafoam was just dissolving all the varnish in the carb. The bowl looks like that the day before when I took it apart, and I cleaned that fully clean and it looked the same the next day from all of the other crud.

Long time no see hope you’ve been well, my friend.
Nice collection. I am a fan of the same groups of motors. Currently running a '69 9.5hp and an '83 35hp. I had a few projects before but there's no money in them unless you can get the motors super cheap or free. I give 75 for a 4 hp once and after 125 in parts and about 4 hours, I got 250 for it. Still I dig the johnnyrudes
Thank you, and I definitely know how that goes. This is a labor of love and there’s a very small window in the year to sell motors if you did want to sell them. Most of the motors on this rack came to me cheap or free. But much like saws, unless it's a real clean specimen and only needs minor work (or you have parts motors to get free parts), there is no profit in repairing them.

A couple years ago any running motor would command a lot of money. Now people have gotten picky again and only want modern stuff.

Are these bears of the anterless type that NY allows you to hunt. 🤣 Is bear meat any good to eat? I have a bear permit this year along with a doe permit.

Back