Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We finally got deer (2 full size ones) on a trail camera again today ... we have not had a deer in the picture since 8/11. The still picture is a bit blurry, so we will request a video to see them more clearly. I fear the fawn we had been seeing may have met its demise. The logger (who is finishing up next door and about to start on my property) said he found a deer leg from a young deer nearby.

We have been seeing numerous bears, coyote and fox. The deer up there just have a tough go of it, and it makes them very hard to hunt. There are fewer of them, and the survivors are always on high alert.

For YEARS I split all the wood by hand
9years ago when I got promoted to manager, my first bonus check, a hydro came home!
You will thank yourself for that when you get to be my age. I quit splitting with a maul when I was around 30. I was splitting for my in-laws and myself. My shoulders were taking a beating. Plus I was wrenching for a living back then. It is so much easier putting gas in the tank.

9years ago when I got promoted to manager, my first bonus check, a hydro came home!
I did too, for 60 years, but I sold 12" stove wood or 16-18" fireplace. I preferred a 4 lb double bit. With the long stove I have now, last year I started splitting 24" from the downed popple. That is a bit more difficult. The neighbor brought over a nice upright splitter last year, and that sped up things quite a bit. I will start up again to cut firewood in the next 3-4 weeks. All I have now is splitting maul or 3.5 lb single bit.

The neighbor down the road heats 3 houses (two just to 45º) with wood only. He splits it all by hand, but the furnace can take 8" rounds. He is 83.

I'll unload the rest tomorrow to see if there's anything else worth reporting on.
Kinda, sorta went through stuff around the workbench area and ended up with this. A couple of items I didn't have like the pistol grip grease gun and 60" straight edge, a few supplies, and some other items of curiosity. Lots of used/new grinding wheels, chain sharpening stones, and a handful of miscellaneous used chains. 20240901_104723.jpg

Me too, well maybe it was months lol.
I knew early on I wouldn't want to be splitting with an axe. First splitter was a piece of junk, but, it sure beat hitting the tough ones a bunch.
I know I should probably loose my man card for saying this, but if I had it to do over again, I would have just bought seasoned wood for the first yr burning...

Kinda, sorta went through stuff around the workbench area and ended up with this. A couple of items I didn't have like the pistol grip grease gun and 60" straight edge, a few supplies, and some other items of curiosity. Lots of used/new grinding wheels, chain sharpening stones, and a handful of miscellaneous used chains. View attachment 1201712
Those chains :cry:.
Should have swung by on your way through, I could have set you up with some nice safety chains :p.

They never used to have them around here, but then they stocked some in some of the NYC reservoirs (there are a lot of them around here).

I have never caught one, but I hear they are good eating.
They are in the top 3 best tasting freshwater fish for me. They are in no particular order; walleye, perch and northern pike.
Looks like walleye. Nice fish, btw. I bet they sat on the bottom & just 'Thumped' for a while before you could get 'em in.

Were you fishing out of Suamico?
I was trolling the upwind side of rock reefs. The walleyes stack up feeding on the baitfish that get pushed into the rocks. They definitely dig deep when reeling them in and then splash around when they get to the boat.

We're fishing the east side of the bay out of Little Sturgeon Bay.

I split all my wood by hand till I was 63, and I was selling some also.

At 63 I split 15 cords by hand in just a few months and developed tennis elbow in both arms ... and that is when I got the hydro splitter.

Last year was the first year I brought the hydro splitter up to the cabin. We have been getting a lot more Black Birch lately, and it is harder to split than the Ash or Black Cherry we always used to get (we still get them in addition to the Black Birch).

I guess I'm just getting older!

Latest posts

Back