Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks. Need help identifying this pan. Looks like it has had a rough life.
Soaked it in vinegar and scrubbed it with an SOS pad. It is in the oven at 400° for the first round of seasoning.
View attachment 1203226
View attachment 1203227
View attachment 1203228
View attachment 1203229
It must be pretty old judging by how well machined the inside is. Should be great for cooking and baking. I'm sure it would have cleaned up better with lye or electrolysis, but I'm not setup for that. Have I ever mentioned that all my cast iron is dishwasher safe? I don't have a dishwasher. :laugh:
You need a manufacture stamp or letter to really ID a pan but you can rule some out by the shape of the handle, size, shape and location of the number, heat ring etc. That number 6 is indicating the size opening in a woodstove the pan is meant for. If you take the round opening on the top of the stove off, if it's 6in this pan would sit right in the hole or directly over it. I'll take a guess at a either a mystery maker or a pre 60's Wagner. Wild guess, though as I'm not an expert.
https://www.castironcollector.com/numbers.php
https://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

The new top is on my canopy. It is a 16mil cover that should last for many years. I purposely left the backside partially open for air circulation. I'll throw in a picture of some of our huge 6" tomatoes. If you are wondering why I pick them not fully ripe. We seem to have some critters that are eating our tomatoes as soon as they turn orange. These will ripen in a few days.

Attachments

• 20240907_094053.jpg
    20240907_094053.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240907_094124.jpg
    20240907_094124.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240831_132044.jpg
    20240831_132044.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday I had a big rotary cutting job to do, so my helper and me was on it all day with these two tractors,

Resized-20240624-172318-S.jpg

Today I kinda took it easy, but I did need to get after picking a few tomatoes,

Resized-20240907-131338-S.jpg

These are "Big Boys" and "Romas",

Resized-20240907-132141-S.jpg

of course, that meant BLT's with tomato soup for supper! lol

SR

The new top is on my canopy. It is a 16mil cover that should last for many years. I purposely left the backside partially open for air circulation. I'll throw in a picture of some of our huge 6" tomatoes. If you are wondering why I pick them not fully ripe. We seem to have some critters that are eating our tomatoes as soon as they turn orange. These will ripen in a few days.

I sharpened a few chains this morning, gave the Mrs. a smooch and sent her off to work. Going to get the skins off this half bucket of Italian heirlooms and Amish Paste and cook them down so the Mrs. can make spaghetti sauce. The Pink Brandywine in my hand will be turned into BLT's tonight.

20240908_085753.jpg20240908_085922.jpg

I sharpened a few chains this morning, gave the Mrs. a smooch and sent her off to work. Going to get the skins off this half bucket of Italian heirloomsand Amish Paste and cook them down so the Mrs. can make spaghetti sauce. The Pink Brandywine in my hand will be turned into BLT's tonight.

View attachment 1203385View attachment 1203386
I just took out the last batch of tomato's yesterday before pulling the plants. I put a brandywine in the salad with the last of the cukes and peppers from the garden. Not sure what we are going to do with the rest. The whole garden is now pulled and I planted radishes, spinich, lettuce, turnips and beets for the fall garden using seeds I bought on this sight.

I just took out the last batch of tomato's yesterday before pulling the plants. I put a brandywine in the salad with the last of the cukes and peppers from the garden. Not sure what we are going to do with the rest. The whole garden is now pulled and I planted radishes, spinich, lettuce, turnips and beets for the fall garden using seeds I bought on this sight.
I sill have a bushel of tomatoes that I'll probably end up canning for my BIL. Everything else is done. My second crop would have been broccoli and cauliflower, but I had one rogue deer this summer that refused to stay outside the fence.

I sill have a bushel of tomatoes that I'll probably end up canning for my BIL. Everything else is done. My second crop would have been broccoli and cauliflower, but I had one rogue deer this summer that refused to stay outside the fence.
We had one that ate all our string beans, peas and strawberries in one night. Must have been hungry.

We had one that ate all our string beans, peas and strawberries in one night. Must have been hungry.
My fil says deer were pretty much non-existent around here back in the 40's and 50's. Everyone farmed, everyone had large families and the random deer that showed up was butchered and on the supper table in short order.

My fil says deer were pretty much non-existent around here back in the 40's and 50's. Everyone farmed, everyone had large families and the random deer that showed up was butchered and on the supper table in short order.
Same in VT in that period although in my little corner they were still around. Down here I see 15-20 every day in the fields behind the house. Farmer gave me permission to shoot as many as I want as they eat the heck out of the soybeans. Have not shot any yet, though. Told me I could shoot the geese out there coming off the couple of small irrigation ponds as they are a menace. Flocks go right over the house and I could shoot them from the driveway.

Nice, cool early fall morning with nothing better to do than cut firewood. New tractor is a god-send for handling logs, tops and brush.

View attachment 1203212View attachment 1203213View attachment 1203214View attachment 1203216
Looks like it's serving you well.
Could have used the big one at the house this morning, but I had my boy for a counterweight lol. This piece was only about 4' long.
20240908_092232.jpg
Most of that elm should be gone by tonight. That pile is close to 6' tall. The little butt log in the above picture is on the right(in the firstpicture) , the 28" made it thru for the notch, but not the flush cut.
20240908_094040.jpg
20240908_094518.jpg

Could have used the big one at the house this morning, but I had my boy for a counterweight lol. This piece was only about 4' long.
View attachment 1203401
Most of that elm should be gone by tonight. That pile is close to 6' tall. The little butt log in the above picture is on the right(in the firstpicture) , the 28" made it thru for the notch, but not the flush cut.
View attachment 1203402
View attachment 1203403
So much firewood! Sucks your so far away. Need to yard it up for me and I'll send a truck 😜

View attachment 1203401
View attachment 1203402
View attachment 1203403
Been using my box blade as a counterweight, but I am going to build something a bit more compact here shortly.

This is the pan I asked you folks about.
Wapak Hollow Ware Co.
It is a Wapak made sometime between 1903 and 1926. I think it is pretty kewl. Light weight, very smooth inside and it may give the BSR pans I have competition on the stove and in the oven.
IMG_3163.jpg
Seasoned ready to use. It's just the right size for my jonnycakes.

This is the pan I asked you folks about.
Wapak Hollow Ware Co.
It is a Wapak made sometime between 1903 and 1926. I think it is pretty kewl. Light weight, very smooth inside and it may give the BSR pans I have competition on the stove and in the oven.
View attachment 1203483
Seasoned ready to use. It's just the right size for my jonnycakes.
How did you determine that?

View attachment 1203401
View attachment 1203402
View attachment 1203403
Man I wish I'd live closer. Looks like Red Elm and I'm looking for logs large enough/straight enough to mill. Beautiful lumber.

Back