Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be a bittersweet post. My dog Ellie who is 13 years 9 months is suffering from Congestive Heart Failure. The last month has been a pretty rapid decline and the medication isn't working and she's starting to struggle. She's losing control of her bodily functions. I thought she was going to pass last night with how hard she was struggling. I decided I'm going to have to call the vet tomorrow. It's hard watching a dog who used to be so tough and determined lose her strength.

She's my first dog and we've spent lots of time in the field together. We've hunted in 8 states together and had lots of great times. My only wish is that I would've hunted more with her the last 5 years. Here's a few of my favorite pics.
Her first pheasant...
View attachment 1204966Her first South Dakota limit...
View attachment 1204963
Her last grouse...View attachment 1204965Her last South Dakota pheasant...
View attachment 1204964The boys with her this morning...View attachment 1204967
Lots of tears being shed today for the old girl.
SO sorry for your impending loss.
None of us get out of here alive but it sure sucks a$$ when you have to "Play God" and send a dear, loved friend and partner to her great reward..
I wish you and your family Peace in this very hard part of life.

Hi guys,

Just got back from a quick overnight canoe trip with the GF. The boys were supposed to go with me but their priorities have changed. I did not want to waste the permit (hard to get this entry point) so we went in. 30 hours or so in the bush does the body good.
What entry point did you get?

The Wx has been pretty nice for being in the backcountry.

Third time coming in third. But it was a fun time.
MustangMike had a good time and did pretty good for a guy that doesn’t shoot sporting clays all to often

Uncle Mike, you left before you could see me win a gun!! The 9 of Spades came through!!!

I got a door prize, third place team AND a savage bolt .22!!
IMG_8838.jpegIMG_8836.jpegIMG_8835.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8834.jpeg
    IMG_8834.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
That’s it laying on the right.
View attachment 1205009

Here all 3 are gone.
View attachment 1205013

Drug it down the hill with the loader.
View attachment 1205010

Cut it into 12’ lengths to get it out of my way. I thought it would go in the burn pile, but I got someone that wants it cut to firewood length and brought to her. She loves cedar, so doesn’t care about the holes. I imagine they’ll toss the bad stuff when they split it, dunno.
View attachment 1205011
That last picture looks like you have pavers on the ground there lol.
Cool someone is interested in the wood, I hate burning some of what I do in the bonfire, but I've probably got at least 30 cord in various piles; of splits, rounds, and logs. There's also a bunch more I'll be taking down in the next couple weeks at our place and the neighbors :dizzy:.
Now in ten yrs, I may need more 😆.
I'm definitely glad I have the locust log piles, even though the one in front of the barn is in my way, it won't go bad. But, it doesn't get any easier on chains the longer it sits!

That’s it laying on the right.
View attachment 1205009

Here all 3 are gone.
View attachment 1205013

Drug it down the hill with the loader.
View attachment 1205010

Cut it into 12’ lengths to get it out of my way. I thought it would go in the burn pile, but I got someone that wants it cut to firewood length and brought to her. She loves cedar, so doesn’t care about the holes. I imagine they’ll toss the bad stuff when they split it, dunno.
View attachment 1205011
The butt end would make a beautiful cookie table top with some epoxy IMG_9014.jpeg

Third time coming in third. But it was a fun time.
MustangMike had a good time and did pretty good for a guy that doesn’t shoot sporting clays all to often

Uncle Mike, you left before you could see me win a gun!! The 9 of Spades came through!!!

I got a door prize, third place team AND a savage bolt .22!!
View attachment 1205047View attachment 1205045View attachment 1205046
Looks like a great time.
Congrats 3rd and the raffle :clap:
Never seen guys use caddies before.

Just did a smash and grab on that wood I've been getting 95% pine but nice big dry rounds. I didn't have time to get pics but I am going back Sunday for the monster oak. I will try to get some pics. I work 12.5+ hrs a day with 1.5 hrs total drive time plus I'm working OT and swing shifts. Every sec matters right now. Be safe fellas. Some pine rounds were 20"+ thinking Scotch or red based on bark and grain

Hi guys,

Just got back from a quick overnight canoe trip with the GF. The boys were supposed to go with me but their priorities have changed. I did not want to waste the permit (hard to get this entry point) so we went in. 30 hours or so in the bush does the body good.
Glad things are working out. :innocent:

We noticed when we were up north in VT this summer that the trees were loaded. Going to be a hard winter
We had a great crop last year also . Was a mild winter not much cold or snow so who knows

Maple syrup season was real early too . I missed a good two weeks because I start mid February but the sap was flowing the first week of February

Back