Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count your blessing if your state/province allows for 6 woodies! We are allowed 3.
Black ducks are the ones we have to be careful with. Last I checked, we are allowed 2 per day and 6 in possession at home. It can be hard to tell them from a mallard hen in low light.

6 woodies per man? Our limit is only 3. Those look pretty fat birds for woodies.

Count your blessing if your state/province allows for 6 woodies! We are allowed 3.
We are supposed to go online for a 10 cord permit.
Never have ,, never been questioned,,, only know one person who ever got a permit.

Now that's an idea! Unfortunately I do not have a trolling motor. Well, I do, but it would take some doing to rig up the bow mount foot pedal model from my jon boat into a canoe lol.
You can easily build a rear cross mount with an overhang to clamp on the inside of a canoe with the motor attached to the overhang. My FIL made me one years ago for our canoe. He made it out of a piece of Ash. It had wedges on the outside to go under the top edge and sliding clamps on the inner edge that bolted up to the crossbar. If I knew where I put it years ago I would take a picture of it for you.

My newly acquired dump carryall works great. I can unload it from my seat by putting it all the way up and pulling the lock catch. Closing it is a lot easier if I just tilt the whole basket upwards in the back using the hydraulic top link. I can now carry 3 times the amount of wood in one trip.

Attachments

• 20241021_110743.jpg
    20241021_110743.jpg
    6 MB
  • 20241021_111044.jpg
    20241021_111044.jpg
    3.6 MB
Black ducks are the ones we have to be careful with. Last I checked, we are allowed 2 per day and 6 in possession at home. It can be hard to tell them from a mallard hen in low light.
I have yet to harvest a blackduck. We are between flyways so we pretty much get 85% ringnecks with smorgasbord of puddlers and a few other divers (not counting mergansers)

My son got a pintail the other day (first one at our cabin in my lifetime). I am also waiting on a canvasback.

You can easily build a rear cross mount with an overhang to clamp on the inside of a canoe with the motor attached to the overhang. My FIL made me one years ago for our canoe. He made it out of a piece of Ash. It had wedges on the outside to go under the top edge and sliding clamps on the inner edge that bolted up to the crossbar. If I knew where I put it years ago I would take a picture of it for you.

My newly acquired dump carryall works great. I can unload it from my seat by putting it all the way up and pulling the lock catch. Closing it is a lot easier if I just tilt the whole basket upwards in the back using the hydraulic top link. I can now carry 3 times the amount of wood in one trip.
Thanks Jim. I think I got the jist of it from your explanation. I'm sure I can put something together if I find a tiller handle trolling motor for the right price.
I have yet to harvest a blackduck. We are between flyways so we pretty much get 85% ringnecks with smorgasbord of puddlers and a few other divers (not counting mergansers)

My son got a pintail the other day (first one at our cabin in my lifetime). I am also waiting on a canvasback.
They are fairly uncommon here too, probably why they are limited harvest. I can count on one hand the number I have brought home over the years. Very cool on the pintail, we do not see those here.

I'm headed to a money making job tomorrow,

10-21-2402-S.jpg

Like today, it's going to be another sunny 70's day tomorrow too, so another nice day to be working out.

SR

Back