Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut these beech, sugar maple and oak back in Sept. and left the limbs and leaves on. 3 months later the leaves have all fallen off and the butt end is already cracking. Since the woods are still dry with bare ground, they are getting skidded out, with the old jeep, to the landing. Can't remember the last time I was able to haul out tree length in Dec. Last year there was 3 ft. of snow in the woods. I'm not wasting this opportunity.
IMAG0039.JPG

Mike , old school would say no mixing but heck , we're well passed the seventies LOL
I was thinking of mixing but I think I'll keep the birches from the maples .
I've heard of guys tapping boxelder and mixing it with birch and maple too.

Birch syrup is fantastic but I'm not sure which species it came from.

Scrounged up- more "borrowed" kanuckistanian geeses! Which I did not shoot with any semi over and under pumpenemup action 500 calibers deadly armor piercing giant mag equipped shootemup gun...OUCH! Just slid fell on me butt..dang sideways threads threw my sense of gravitas off...
What a beautiful setting. Honestly you'd be hard pressed to tell me that wasn't northern MN or upstate NY if I didn't know where you are at.

And if definitely put a few of those in the freezer!

A long, long time ago I was fooling around with a 44 cal black powder revolver. I took a shot a leaning Black Birch tree that was about 14" in diameter. It was like you turned on the faucet, sap came gushing out of that tree, pouring onto the ground. I was very surprised.

In researching the Birch, I see they tap Black Walnut also. I've got several of them near my house! What we don't cut, we can drill! They also tap Norway Maple, and I've got them too.

I hope you have some equipment to move those rounds. I am usually up for scrounging anything but when I need a ladder to get the saw over the top of the log (I'm all of 5'6" tall) that might be a deal breaker for me.
Nomad_archer they will be ripped and cross cut in place as the machinery I have is:muscle:
And a Toyota hilux 4x4 got plenty of chainsaws and have access to truck and hiab also 12 ton digger but by the time I get all that equipment there I would have most of those logs ringed up or the logs ripped into 1/4s then bucked into pieces the one can manhandle on to a trailer. It will all go on this trailer not all at once but take a few loads. I'm in no rush as the logs are that big no one can handle them and they are drying out.

The big old man pine in this video is now all down in pieces now the fun begins the pieces are roughly in your fella's measurements haha they are about 5ft 2 inch high and about 10 or 11ft long. The last picture I got my dad (nearly 70 years young) to stand by the logs for a reference he's 5ft 8
Put me in, coach.
170-jpg.455892

Nomad_archer they will be ripped and cross cut in place as the machinery I have is:muscle:
And a Toyota hilux 4x4 got plenty of chainsaws and have access to truck and hiab also 12 ton digger but by the time I get all that equipment there I would have most of those logs ringed up or the logs ripped into 1/4s then bucked into pieces the one can manhandle on to a trailer. It will all go on this trailer not all at once but take a few loads. I'm in no rush as the logs are that big no one can handle them and they are drying out.
You have a Hilux!? Pics! Or are there pics on this thread already? Sucks being relegated to a phone.
I want a Hilux bad ever since I saw that Top Gear episode where they try to kill it. Not that this is a PC view but it's the vehicle of choice for terrorist in distant lands so they are battle tested

You have a Hilux!? Pics! Or are there pics on this thread already? Sucks being relegated to a phone.
I want a Hilux bad ever since I saw that Top Gear episode where they try to kill it. Not that this is a PC view but it's the vehicle of choice for terrorist in distant lands so they are battle tested

Hiliux's seem really nice unfortunatly in the US we get the tacoma which is still a pretty good little truck. It seems the tacoma is also very popular with terrrorists. They always seem to be running around in old beat up midsized toyota trucks.

We are still waiting for pics of the repaired wheelbarrow. :cheers:
Damn, my wheelbarrow is kinda famous lol.
I'll take some pics toniif I remember. It's not pretty though. I scrounged a 2x2 in my crawlspace for the braces. I bought 8 in bolts, washers and nuts but decided not to use them. Just hammered in some nails that kept bending and drywall screws. The drywall screws kept snapping off though. Anyway, it works. I loaded the crap out of the barrow to see how it handled the weight

Latest posts

Back