Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, my wheelbarrow is kinda famous lol.
I'll take some pics toniif I remember. It's not pretty though. I scrounged a 2x2 in my crawlspace for the braces. I bought 8 in bolts, washers and nuts but decided not to use them. Just hammered in some nails that kept bending and drywall screws. The drywall screws kept snapping off though. Anyway, it works. I loaded the crap out of the barrow to see how it handled the weight

2 1/2 deck screws would have gotten the job done. Drywall screws are only good for holding drywall up and removing limiter caps. You could have fashioned new handles out of some zogger wood.

Hiliux's seem really nice unfortunatly in the US we get the tacoma which is still a pretty good little truck. It seems the tacoma is also very popular with terrrorists. They always seem to be running around in old beat up midsized toyota trucks.
I think the Hilux is available with a diesel. Supposef to have a higher payload rating too. Grass is always greener on the other side.

And there I go again, off topic discussion

2 1/2 deck screws would have gotten the job done. Drywall screws are only good for holding drywall up and removing limiter caps. You could have fashioned new handles out of some zogger wood.
True. I only had drywall screws and nails in my toolbox though so I used that. If it breaks I'm buying new handles

Since we have a lot of hunters lurking here, Cabelas has a today only online special of 10% off order of $49 or more with free shipping. Which is pretty good considering cabelas shipping is usually at least $10-$12. I just picked up some new hunting pants because I am addicted to the new wind proof materials they are finally putting in hunting clothes.

Guess I missed all the excitement around here. :popcorn2:

I scrounged a small >8" diameter oak that had broken in half. I had to push around a bunch of pine tree's that had fallen with the FEL. I wish I had gotten to the pine before it rotted. I also bought a pallet of "Liberty Bricks" which are compressed saw dust. It's working well to extend my burning of wood that isn't quite ready. I throw a couple of the bricks in and get them burning well then toss on some oak splits. The boys and wife always help moving the splits to the stack. They teamed up on a bigger oak split I had since it was so heavy.

Attachments

• 20151213_154615.jpg
    20151213_154615.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36

I scrounged a small >8" diameter oak that had broken in half. I had to push around a bunch of pine tree's that had fallen with the FEL. I wish I had gotten to the pine before it rotted. I also bought a pallet of "Liberty Bricks" which are compressed saw dust. It's working well to extend my burning of wood that isn't quite ready. I throw a couple of the bricks in and get them burning well then toss on some oak splits. The boys and wife always help moving the splits to the stack. They teamed up on a bigger oak split I had since it was so heavy.
Yep, you missed a session of kick the can (aka ambull lol)
When you burn less than ideally seasoned wood, are you seeing some shiny residue in the back corner of your stove? Thought my oak mix was dry as its been seasoned at least a year and the tree was down for several more. I see what I assume is creosote in the upper rear corner of the stove when I run it less than secondary combustion temps throughout the burn cycle. The residue is easily removed and comes off in flakes. Going to sweep the liner this weekend just in case

Yep, you missed a session of kick the can (aka ambull lol)
When you burn less than ideally seasoned wood, are you seeing some shiny residue in the back corner of your stove? Thought my oak mix was dry as its been seasoned at least a year and the tree was down for several more. I see what I assume is creosote in the upper rear corner of the stove when I run it less than secondary combustion temps throughout the burn cycle. The residue is easily removed and comes off in flakes. Going to sweep the liner this weekend just in case

The chunk that was moved came up in the Similar Threads so I did get to read it. I'm very glad I didn't get to participate.

I have not seen any issues but plan to clean the stove pipe in Jan. I've definitely been burning some less than ideal stuff. I do try and get a very hot fire going from time to time to clean everything out. My pipe is 10-12 feet long and goes straight up so should be pretty easy to clean.

You kinda asked for it. :dumb:
I respectfully disagree. Sure we may have to sacrifice some things for the hopefully greater good. That's ine thing I admire about Japanese culture. Perhaps the greatest generation was so because of joint sacrifice as well. Anyway, I digress.

I didn't get anywhere near the woods today, but I made a very good deal... picked this up, brand new, for about half price. It's no custom, industrial duty machine... but a whole lot better than the 22-ton CountyLine one I've been using. Comes out of the same factory as the CountyLine splitters.

LogSplitter1.JPG LogSplitter2.JPG

9.5HP Kohler Command Pro engine, 5x2x24 cylinder, 16gpm pump, 8x10 beam, auto return, 14 second cycle time, blah blah. Bastard weighs 660 lbs. and it's not going to impress you guys, but it's probably more machine than I actually need. Tomorrow, I'm going to run some mulberry and ash through it that I failed to get split before it turned ugly outside.

I respectfully disagree. Sure we may have to sacrifice some things for the hopefully greater good. That's ine thing I admire about Japanese culture. Perhaps the greatest generation was so because of joint sacrifice as well. Anyway, I digress.

”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” .. Thomas Jefferson. Perhaps we can learn from the past, but maybe not ...

...what did you not like about yours?

Nothing, actually. I keep it at the house we live in. We have another property in a nearby town, and the bulk of the firewood is there (we run the business out of the house there), and I wanted a bit more robust machine at that property. I happened to be at the right place at the right time, and got this one for the same price I paid for the 22-ton. Couldn't pass it up!

Nothing, actually. I keep it at the house we live in. We have another property in a nearby town, and the bulk of the firewood is there (we run the business out of the house there), and I wanted a bit more robust machine at that property. I happened to be at the right place at the right time, and got this one for the same price I paid for the 22-ton. Couldn't pass it up!
I have a 22 ton DHT splitter and prefer the faster sub 10 second cycle time over the higher tonage slower cycle splitters. But at half price you got a smoking deal I would have picked it up too. Nice scrounge.

Thanks. My 22-ton CountyLine's cycle time is 13 seconds, so really not any faster. Just looked on the spec sheet in the manual, and was surprised it wasn't faster. So, looks like I won't have to get used to a slower pace! But I do know that some of the smaller ones are under 10 seconds.

Great picture of those two working together. Great teamwork:numberone:

The cycle rate on my CountyTime suits me just fine. Some with faster cycle time don't open as wide, so you have to take that into account.

The advantage of the bigger ton one is on the really tough stuff it will not slow as much. That is the only time it does not work as fast as I can keep up with.

My 22 ton will slow, but it does not stop. Will go right through a Y, really impresses me.

Latest posts

Back