Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. I hit the "dirt" once when I put the saw down and it walked on me. When I grabbed it, the nose went into the pile of noodles and saw "dust" thankfully. Now I know to stop the saw and have a working chain break.

If I'm just moving a log to buck it or something, and I put the saw down running, I've developed the habit of just flexing my wrist forward on the top handle to push the chain brake lever as I do it. It'll still walk if it's on a hard surface, but I don't have to worry about the chain digging into the dirt - or my boot, for that matter.

Anyone want to share pictures or just descriptions of their go kit that you take with you on site? Bar oil, gas and what else? Someone mentioned putting it all in a crate. What do you carry it in? What do you consider absolutely essential to take, and then what's nice to have but can get by without?

Thanks!

PS thanks Dancan - don't want to be a thread hog but I have so many questions. Everyone here's been really helpful, and I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what kind of two stroke mix are you using?
So far I'm using the weedeater mix which is Briggs & Stratton oil mixed with ethanol 40:1

What do you use? Got a favorite oil? One repair guy on youtube swears by Marvel Mystery Oil, but I haven't been able to find it so far.

My home made box (with a rope handle) had chainsaw gas, oil, various chain files (round, square, and flat), a stump vice, bar wrench, tuning screwdriver, torx wrench, spare chains (both 20 & 24") and sometimes I also include a spare bar. Plus a rag and some cleaning wipes. Also good to have some first aid stuff.

I had to look up stump vise and found this:

The Stihl video mentioned an old toothbrush for cleaning. I figured I would include that, too.

I had to look up stump vise and found this: . . .

That's pretty elaborate. And artsy. The plain, $10 -$20 stump vises work fine. Lots of people clamp their guide bar in a machinists type vise (if you have one on a work bench). Here is a thread on some variations I was playing with for filing vises you can clamp to a table, at home, on a worksite, etc.: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/tree-machine-filing-clamps.240030/.

I carry, and encourage others, to take 3 chains per saw with them. If you just need a light sharpening with a file, you can do that. But if you hit a rock, or don't have a good place to sharpen, it can be easier to swap out a chain and take care of it back at home. If you have gone through 3 chains, it is probably time to 'call it a day'.

What you take with you is up to you, your preferences, what types of cutting/scrounging you do, what type of work/maintenance you do on your own saw(s), etc. Here is a related thread (sorry, some photos lost): http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/whats-in-your-saw-box.89533/

Philbert

So far I'm using the weedeater mix which is Briggs & Stratton oil mixed with ethanol 40:1

What do you use? Got a favorite oil? One repair guy on youtube swears by Marvel Mystery Oil, but I haven't been able to find it so far.

I 'think' that Briggs and Stratton is an Ethanol FREE mix. Guessing it's not cheap but you should do well with it.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/shop/canned-fuel

Anyone want to share pictures or just descriptions of their go kit that you take with you on site? Bar oil, gas and what else? Someone mentioned putting it all in a crate. What do you carry it in? What do you consider absolutely essential to take, and then what's nice to have but can get by without?

10 gal tuff box sits beside me in the truck holding all my physical and small gear: helmet, gloves, chaps, files, stump vice, wrench etc and some food and water.

Messy stuff like chains, bar oil, gas mix, axe, peavey, flat repair (getting a flat tire with full load of wood on mountain roads isn't much fun), all ride in the back.
crate.jpg

We put sunscreen and bug spray in there today. Here are my helpers unloading the Elm and Ash from today's load. Going for more once I get the saw started.
u8a6enyh.jpg

Edit to add: no elm today, heat got to me I guess. Elm was before I realized that our elms are as hard to split as everyone else's elm

10 gal tuff box sits beside me in the truck holding all my physical and small gear: helmet, gloves, chaps, files, stump vice, wrench etc and some food and water.

Messy stuff like chains, bar oil, gas mix, axe, peavey, flat repair (getting a flat tire with full load of wood on mountain roads isn't much fun), all ride in the back.
View attachment 358830
Good idea. We all have gloves and safety glasses etc, and I think I have an old empty bin out in the shed too.

Seems that carrying a vice would be super heavy. I think I'll go the extra chain route since I haven't learned sharpening yet and the only vice we have is attached to a table

rate7emy.jpg

That's pretty elaborate. And artsy. The plain, $10 -$20 stump vises work fine. Lots of people clamp their guide bar in a machinists type vise (if you have one on a work bench). Here is a thread on some variations I was playing with for filing vises you can clamp to a table, at home, on a worksite, etc.: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/tree-machine-filing-clamps.240030/.

I carry, and encourage others, to take 3 chains per saw with them. If you just need a light sharpening with a file, you can do that. But if you hit a rock, or don't have a good place to sharpen, it can be easier to swap out a chain and take care of it back at home. If you have gone through 3 chains, it is probably time to 'call it a day'.

What you take with you is up to you, your preferences, what types of cutting/scrounging you do, what type of work/maintenance you do on your own saw(s), etc. Here is a related thread (sorry, some photos lost): http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/whats-in-your-saw-box.89533/

Philbert

I caught CAD hanging around here..I just carry extra saws....hehehehehe

What's a peavey?

Big log mover arounder. There's different kinds, some lift the log for cutting, some just roll it around. There are various store bought and guys who are good welders here make their own. You can see cheap ones on the shelf at tractor supply and I think home despot might carry them.

Basically a lever with a hook and/or hook and swinging additional hook.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peavey_(tool)

Speaking of home despot, they carry echo mix oil, I like it, priced reasonable. I have tried it 50 to one, 40 to one and 32 to one, I am thinking I like 40 to one the best. Comes in a squeeze bottle with a measuring area at the top. Has added in fuel stabilizer as well. 40 to one is 3.2 ounces per gallon.

for bar oil I just pay attention to the shops when I am out getting stuff, when a jug goes on sale, that's what I get and use, not seeing any hugemongous difference in the brands really. I guess guys up north need "winter grade" for real below zero cold weather, I don't worry about that.

I carry all my junk to the cutting site in plastic crates mostly. Looks like a freaking safari when I go out, bunch of saws, crates with stuff, various axes, log lifter, big pry bar, chains, come along, ropes, small tactical nukes, whatnot.

Big log mover arounder...

I carry all my junk to the cutting site in plastic crates mostly. Looks like a freaking safari when I go out, bunch of saws, crates with stuff, various axes, log lifter, big pry bar, chains, come along, ropes, small tactical nukes, whatnot.
:) :) :)

I was wondering about chain oil differences. The echo brand oil I got is thinner than the other brand I got before. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back