Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I'm using the weedeater mix which is Briggs & Stratton oil mixed with ethanol 40:1

What do you use? Got a favorite oil? One repair guy on youtube swears by Marvel Mystery Oil, but I haven't been able to find it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
briggs oil is good oil i usually run lucas semi syn 2 stroke oil from the parts house it is 6.99 per quart and the rate you mixing at that quart would make you 10 gallons.

The Briggs is 2 cycle oil. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
a4aruga9.jpg

I would like to try the premix

mix that bottle with 2.5 gallons of gas would give you 40:1 or mix it with 2 gallons to give 32:1

Today's scrounge was in here , they wanted just a little bigger back yard .

1405168983513.jpg

We loaded the fir in Pioneerguy600's truck and then drug it home .

IMG_20140712_113057.jpg

Since it was mid 80's I decided to go to the beach this afternoon .

IMG_20140712_160103.jpg

XleNePvIlZ-O4oaJBcqek4Skq7WaKkVRBmvyKKwsCHA=w1436-h638-no

After it cooled off I blocked it up , loaded the UTV and gave the load to a retired couple that I know .

IMG_20140712_201120.jpg

Great looking firewoodin team marcy !!!
Thanks Dancan! They're great :)

That picture of your van! I love it! Great wood score made even better by passing it on.

We're going to choose 20 or so of the best split pieces to take back to the homeowner with the Ash tree. She keeps saying that she would take it to her Dad in East Tx, but gas prices are too high. We figured that a small bundle might fit in her trunk when she goes for a visit.

Ash will dry faster than any other hardwood. In fact, you can almost burn it right after you cut it, but it is best to season it for a while.

Thanks. I didn't know that. Great to know. In the same neighborhood we've been working on that 60+ yr old Az ash we saw another 1/2 cord of ash already cut to size and ready to split :)

torx wrench

I keep seeing these torx wrenches mentioned in saw boxes. What are you doing with them? I added headbands to the box today to help keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Yesterday's load

y6a3apaj.jpg

I guess the measurements are 6x4 1/2 x 2 1/2 which equals 67.5 if my mental math is up to par. According to this

http://northernwoodlands.org/knots_and_bolts/a_cord_is_a_cord_is_a_cord

It takes.200 cf of loose pile to make a cord, so is it safe to think that was 1/3 cord? I'm pretty sure that number was based on already split wood, though. So maybe that little trailer will hold 1/4 cord?

When you see a pile of wood, what numbers do you use to estimate how many cords it'll end up being?

Edit to add: or was I thinking in the wrong direction, and being that it's logs it'll be more than 1/3 cord? I can't get my head around the air space between logs and no air space within the log as compared to air space of splits. Also the front of the trailer is filled with logs cut to size on the first tank of gas. I'm really, really terrible so far at starting the saw after that first tank. If I could have cut everything to 16" lengths, how many cords do you think will fit in that little trailer (6x4.5x16" = 36 cf = ? 1/5 of a cord? That seems too low a number, seems more like 1/4 or maybe even 1/3 cord. Confusing :)

I carry all my junk to the cutting site in plastic crates mostly. Looks like a freaking safari when I go out, bunch of saws, crates with stuff, various axes, log lifter, big pry bar, chains, come along, ropes, small tactical nukes, whatnot.

"Safari - tactical nukes" . . . . :D :D

Yesterday's load

I guess the measurements are 6x4 1/2 x 2 1/2 which equals 67.5 if my mental math is up to par. According to this

http://northernwoodlands.org/knots_and_bolts/a_cord_is_a_cord_is_a_cord

It takes.200 cf of loose pile to make a cord, so is it safe to think that was 1/3 cord? I'm pretty sure that number was based on already split wood, though. So maybe that little trailer will hold 1/4 cord?

When you see a pile of wood, what numbers do you use to estimate how many cords it'll end up being?

Edit to add: or was I thinking in the wrong direction, and being that it's logs it'll be more than 1/3 cord? I can't get my head around the air space between logs and no air space within the log as compared to air space of splits. Also the front of the trailer is filled with logs cut to size on the first tank of gas. I'm really, really terrible so far at starting the saw after that first tank. If I could have cut everything to 16" lengths, how many cords do you think will fit in that little trailer (6x4.5x16" = 36 cf = ? 1/5 of a cord? That seems too low a number, seems more like 1/4 or maybe even 1/3 cord. Confusing :)

I like to keep it unscientific and simple - 4'x4'x8' is a cord ... how many of cords do I estimate is in that pile - bob's your uncle :p :chop:

I like to keep it unscientific and simple - 4'x4'x8' is a cord ... how many of cords do I estimate is in that pile - bob's your uncle :p :chop:

no difference between split wood and logs?

It really depends on how you stack it, too many variables. A tight stack holds more wood, a looser stack dries much mo bettah.

Technically, to sell, it should be tight stacked for a good measure, realistically around here, everyone gives everyone else slack, if we have a pic of a stack and say it is lebenty cord..we accept it unless wildly off.

My stacks can sometimes be a little loose and I get woodalance, a wood avalanche. Started doing it bit tighter. Trying to find a happier medium, with nothing holding the wood up except gravity works.

You get that 3400? Those are nice saws, really.

Things pretty much work the same as zogger's location here - people ballpark cords. For those selling firewood, then a generous cord is best practice, or people simply won't re-order.

I've pegged my single load capacity at about 1 & 1/3 cord with my trailer when it's riding on flat springs, with a mix of hard and soft wood. My scrounging buddy gets a full cord+ handily into his 3/4 ton without the need for a trailer. I have my eye out for a nice 3/4 ton pre-1994 4x4. Something that I can still fix without needing computer diagnostics.

When you get your wood home, split it and stack it, then measure it, that will give you a good idea what you can carry.

What I'd really like to be able to do is see a bunch of wood and know about how many loads it'll take to get it & how much fence room I'll need to stack it. My daughter and I couldn't resist, so we picked this up in time to still make the late service :)

bunese9u.jpg

You get that 3400? Those are nice saws, really.
No, it was probably sold - didn't reply. I texted someone about a poulan pro. They immediately replied that they still had it. I answered right back asking when it was last started, if gas/oil mix was used. The ad said it had been used for only an hour. I also asked if it would start and stay running. No more replies after those questions :(

We actually found a Walmart with the Fiskars x25 and x27. My daughter chose the longer x27. If she doesn't like it, we'll probably be taking it back. I'm curious to see the difference.

What I'd really like to be able to do is see a bunch of wood and know about how many loads it'll take to get it & how much fence room I'll need to stack it. My daughter and I couldn't resist, so we picked this up in time to still make the late service :)

I bet you are actually sneaking up on that level of expertise. It won't take long, after a dozen or so trailer fulls and thinking about it, you'll be able to look at a pile or even just a downed tree and know pretty close how much ya got there and how many trips to move it.

No, it was probably sold - didn't reply. I texted someone about a poulan pro. They immediately replied that they still had it. I answered right back asking when it was last started, if gas/oil mix was used. The ad said it had been used for only an hour. I also asked if it would start and stay running. No more replies after those questions :(

We actually found a Walmart with the Fiskars x25 and x27. My daughter chose the longer x27. If she doesn't like it, we'll probably be taking it back. I'm curious to see the difference.

Lots of those kind of saws out there. guys use ethanol fuel, use it a coupla times, leavee it in there, go yank it, it won't run. that's why you see so many that look near new for sale used. Those saws typically need new fuel ines and filter and carb cleaned, maybe a kit iwth new gaskets, etc IF they weren't straight gassed with the phase separation that happens with ethanol fuel.

I pay five bucks or ten tops for junkers in that shape. Usually there is absolute crud in the tank. guys buy a saw, don't use it much "save money" by mixing the absolute cheapest gas they can find, then wonder why it won't work next year. then they start cussing out the saw calling it a POS and so on. Too cheap to dump out a partial tank and mix one gallon of fresh, or just use the canned fuel, which is what real light duty users should use anyway.

Old saying that fits, penny wise, pound foolish.

Guys even do that with expensive saws!

The good part is, this is how a lot of us wind up with a lot of good saws for cheap.

Last load I got, I think 50 or 60 bucks, back of my ratsun truck heaped up with saws trimmers and blowers.

I bet you are actually sneaking up on that level of expertise. It won't take long, after a dozen or so trailer fulls and thinking about it, you'll be able to look at a pile or even just a downed tree and know pretty close how much ya got there and how many trips to move it.

well said!

Latest posts

Back