Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpeg image.jpeg Well good and bad news today guys.... Good news beautiful day to cut, got 3 loads of walnut, Osage , and some honey locust....well for bad news, ol lady called while I was cutting which she never does, and said someone broke into my father in laws and stole his damn chainsaw....what a pathetic bastard!!!!....I tell you there are some absolutely worthless people who don't know what it's like to be a real man, so they steal off other people!!!!....anyway I have parts coming, (from great people I met from this site!!!!), for a 362 I been dieing to get rebuilt...and if all goes well I may just give him my ol trusty ms290.... Yes she is heavy, and has her issues, so he may not even want her....
Anyway onto pics, what a day!!!!image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
That base is going to be a noodle fest. The this is as big as the front end of my truck. I think I will noodle before the bucking cut just so the partial rounds are manageable. I am a touch jumpy around this butt section. I was thinking boy a ported 395xp or 046 with a 36" bar would make short work of this. I warned my wife that I will be making a mess getting that cut up.

>That base is going to be a noodle fest. The this is as big as the front end of my truck.

omg! wow! no sh*t!!! Gzzzz.... :surprised3:

nomad_A noodling bigger than truck's front end tree base: :chainsaw:

;)

View attachment 493679 View attachment 493676 Well good and bad news today guys.... Good news beautiful day to cut, got 3 loads of walnut, Osage , and some honey locust....well for bad news, ol lady called while I was cutting which she never does, and said someone broke into my father in laws and stole his damn chainsaw....what a pathetic bastard!!!!....I tell you there are some absolutely worthless people who don't know what it's like to be a real man, so they steal off other people!!!!....anyway I have parts coming, (from great people I met from this site!!!!), for a 362 I been dieing to get rebuilt...and if all goes well I may just give him my ol trusty ms290.... Yes she is heavy, and has her issues, so he may not even want her....
Anyway onto pics, what a day!!!!View attachment 493677

I hate hearing bad news like that! :mad: hope the worthless bum is caught. good pix, u cut up a lot of wood! :)

COMMENT:

I have to admit... you guys really put on a show!... from felling almost a whole woodlot, or a tree bigger than BIG itself... to rigging cables, pulleys and skidders to hauling out your trunks... logs, trees and often as not, well currently anyways... even out in the snow!! omg. trucks, tractors, trailers, double trailers loaded to the hilt! firewood or firewood to be! down here we got lots of oil and gas ops... no shortage! we are a world-class O&G center in this town!! but, especially with the smller operators, there is always the issue of the drillers and riggers out drilling the hole on the lease... and the white collar shirts back in the office called petroleum engineers... never enough time in the field... they always drill from their desks! lol... armchair engineers! well, not quite the same, nor as bad... but... even with my rather impressive in-town urban logging operations, sawmill ops and firewood making... :rolleyes: compared to the scale many of you operate at... as a matter of routine...

well, kinda makes me feel like I am close to being little more than just another...

" armchair lumberjack" !!! lol :laughing: :givebeer:

"ok, boys... have that woodlot felled by 5 pm, please... hauler will be there in the morning!" :havingarest:

the pix :picture: you put up, the threads and all the cool stuff to look at and see... is really quite a show! :numberone:

constantly, and continually... I never cease to be amazed!!

nor not entertained! :)

:yes:

went down to where we cut sat to finish up an ash log that was there. this is right along a pretty big creek and i always have to explore a little. i got the ash log bucked and loaded and then scrounged this from the creek. it was laying upside down and i had to get a rope and lasso one of the wheels to get it out of the creek and up the 20 foot bank.

Attachments

• 20160321_145221_resized.jpg
    20160321_145221_resized.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 20160321_145210_resized_1.jpg
    20160321_145210_resized_1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • 20160321_145232_resized.jpg
    20160321_145232_resized.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
went down to where we cut sat to finish up a ash log that was there. this is right along a pretty big creek and i always have to explore a little. i got the ash log bucked and loaded and then scrounged this from the creek. it was laying upside down and i had to get a rope and lasso one of the wheels to get it out of the creek and up the 20 foot bank.

Nice haul there FS

Take lots of pics and don't leave us hangin. Good luck, looks like a half assed tree service did the work.

I will take lots of pics. I think it was a 1/2 effort friday job from a not so good tree service. They dropped a few sections on the homeowners concrete sidewalk and caused some new cracks and a large chunk taken out of the edge of the side walk. The tree service that I usually pickup wood for wouldn't have left that mess. Heck even if the homeowner was going to give the wood away for free firewood on there own, the service would have cleaned it up and had it in manageable pieces. There is a few other things I wouldn't have been happy about had I been paying the bill. It is a sweet score for me.

svk: I like your round fuel can. I have 2 just like it, a 1-gallon and a 2-gallon... :)
Thanks. I have a bunch of them but the ones with rubber spouts and air vents have been breaking off in the last few years. Trying to condense all of the solid caps/vents to keep several of them usable!

I absolutely hate plastic cans, especially the ones with no rear vent.

. . . today I got around to cleaning my 019T and sharpening its chain, . . .I noted a lot of hard, gummy stuff on my chain's links... PITA! . . . it is cedar sap residue from cutting what I consider a small amount of cedar, but left a lot of gummy residue... actually more hard than soft. and this is after I cleaned it!!
How are you cleaning your chain? Scaling, brushing, soaking?

Thanks.

Philbert

went down to where we cut sat to finish up an ash log that was there. this is right along a pretty big creek and i always have to explore a little. i got the ash log bucked and loaded and then scrounged this from the creek. it was laying upside down and i had to get a rope and lasso one of the wheels to get it out of the creek and up the 20 foot bank.

I like your 'dump' trailer! :)

How are you cleaning your chain? Scaling, brushing, soaking?

Thanks.

Philbert

very slowly... one link at a time... :sweet: [not]

this time I scraped, chipped, wire brushed, back filed, picked, etc... each link... o_O then cleaned in L thinner... couple times. hardly touched the stuff, but did clean the chain's mechanicals well, of course! since I had sharpened my teeth already, and tweaked my rakers, dint want to kiss sides with fine wire wheel... less I dull what is now quite sharp... could have used dremel, I guess with small wire wheel... but, next sharpening I will dress out the sides, etc first, to further 'descale' the crud off. imo, at this point its mostly cosmetic, maybe running thru some oak will purge it of its 'virus'... in any event, I like how it all went back together and have no probs with it. other than cosmetics... bar showed no accumulation. just chain's links.

of course, and perhaps you will agree....a new chain would be the ultimate cleaning. lol ;)

Thanks. I have a bunch of them but the ones with rubber spouts and air vents have been breaking off in the last few years. Trying to condense all of the solid caps/vents to keep several of them usable! I absolutely hate plastic cans, especially the ones with no rear vent.

I concur... my round fuel can's cork gaskets bit like me... old and withered! :laughing: so, I leave the fuel cans in clean area of shop and just tighten when using... seems to help their life and don't drip when pouring... :)

very slowly... one link at a time... :sweet: [not]

this time I scraped, chipped, wire brushed, back filed, picked, etc... each link... o_O then cleaned in L thinner... couple times. hardly touched the stuff, but did clean the chain's mechanicals well, of course! since I had sharpened my teeth already, and tweaked my rakers, dint want to kiss sides with fine wire wheel... less I dull what is now quite sharp... could have used dremel, I guess with small wire wheel... but, next sharpening I will dress out the sides, etc first, to further 'descale' the crud off. imo, at this point its mostly cosmetic, maybe running thru some oak will purge it of its 'virus'... in any event, I like how it all went back together and have no probs with it. other than cosmetics... bar showed no accumulation. just chain's links.

of course, and perhaps you will agree....a new chain would be the ultimate cleaning. lol ;)
I would have soaked it over night in krud cutter, given it a quick once over with a nylon brush and wiped it down. It would have been good to go. I do that before I put a chain on the grinder. It gets all the junk off.

I would have soaked it over night in krud cutter, given it a quick once over with a nylon brush and wiped it down. It would have been good to go. I do that before I put a chain on the grinder. It gets all the junk off.

thanks for the tip! grinder? :eek: well, what do you think about a new chain... I prob could expect it to be crud n junk free, no? ;)

crud cutter? please tell me type, etc you would use... thanks

. . . this time I scraped, chipped, wire brushed, back filed, picked, etc... each link... then cleaned in L thinner... couple times. hardly touched the stuff, but did clean the chain's mechanicals well, of course!

Lot of guys scoff at the idea of cleaning chains, but I believe that 'a clean chain is a happy chain'. Couple of related threads, linked below. Tars, pine sap, and general grunge from doing storm cleanup work can be a challenge. Generally, I am going to look for a chemical type cleaning agent first. This may vary, depending on the nature of the gunk. A lot of guys start with gasoline or diesel fuel, but I like to start with water or citrus based degreasers first.

Of course, these remove all of the oils as well, so the chains have to be dried and re-lubed after. But beats the heck out of heavy wire brushing IMHO.

Philbert

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philbert-meets-the-stihl-rs3.202969/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-chain-salvage-challenge.245369/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-cleaning.258897/

thanks for the tip! grinder? :eek: well, what do you think about a new chain... I prob could expect it to be crud n junk free, no? ;)

crud cutter? please tell me type, etc you would use... thanks

I only use a grinder when bad stuff happens. Like when someone thinks it was a good idea to hide a 1/2 lag bolt in a tree or when rocks attack my chain.

I literally use Krud Kutter to clean the chains. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kutter-1-gal-Original-Concentrated-Cleaner-Degreaser-KK012/202525368

Scrounged up a test drive with one of the newer updated brushless motors Oregon battery saws. My friend the local Husky wrench bought it for himself for his own personal "small saw" grab and cut a branch deals. It has *noticeably* more chain speed and torque over my saw, the original model. It's nice. His new one on the right, and yes, I scrounged all the cookies he had laying around from these and other tests and brought them home..hehehehe

Attachments

• IMG_20160322_115816.jpg
    IMG_20160322_115816.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
Back