Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did someone say noodles. I went back again today and got two full loads of wood from the maple scrounge. I was able to finish one of the cuts the tree service made and had to noodle to get the round off of the rest of the stem. Lots of wood here. I am going back today with the 28" bar to do some bucking and noodling.

It is amazing how much the tune of the saw changes with weather changes. I realized today with the warmer weather 70* versus the 30* I cut in last time that the H was rich and I did notice the L was on the lean side. I made the appropriate adjustments and I think I am good to go. I did over do the L needle and went to rich. I let her idle for a little and then tipped the bar down or sideways she would die but start right up. I am guessing it was loading up with fuel. I corrected my over corrections and all seems to be good. At this point at least I am erring on the side of being a touch rich but I am still learning about this tuning thing and hearing when things arent right. I guess I am hyper sensitive to what is going on since I dont want to ruin any equipment due to not paying attention.

I do like running the 40:1 in this big saw makes me feel better when I make a 4'-5' noodling cut. The 365 seems to feel just right with the 24" bar.

Enough talking now for the pictures.
04f1de9f198c09435ee07829bd3795fe.jpg
9cc5a25902c4ffb1d946b0d227dd7f56.jpg
af8ceb54810552b26f34c462591ebea0.jpg

Another butt section that needs to go. Only 36" in diameter.
8244dbc16802e0707d732faf8e5a6bc3.jpg

Noodles
78640fe64641f6e3f2b6a5b1122b59f3.jpg
59e392091f99591cb68a7d5cfed76661.jpg

Time to go home
00d2fe761d4b3f9ee467b81f5bb7e59f.jpg

Did someone say noodles. I went back again today and got two full loads of wood from the maple scrounge. I was able to finish one of the cuts the tree service made and had to noodle to get the round off of the rest of the stem. Lots of wood here. I am going back today with the 28" bar to do some bucking and noodling.

It is amazing how much the tune of the saw changes with weather changes. I realized today with the warmer weather 70* versus the 30* I cut in last time that the H was rich and I did notice the L was on the lean side. I made the appropriate adjustments and I think I am good to go. I did over do the L needle and went to rich. I let her idle for a little and then tipped the bar down or sideways she would die but start right up. I am guessing it was loading up with fuel. I corrected my over corrections and all seems to be good. At this point at least I am erring on the side of being a touch rich but I am still learning about this tuning thing and hearing when things arent right. I guess I am hyper sensitive to what is going on since I dont want to ruin any equipment due to not paying attention.

I do like running the 40:1 in this big saw makes me feel better when I make a 4'-5' noodling cut. The 365 seems to feel just right with the 24" bar.

Enough talking now for the pictures.
04f1de9f198c09435ee07829bd3795fe.jpg
9cc5a25902c4ffb1d946b0d227dd7f56.jpg
af8ceb54810552b26f34c462591ebea0.jpg

Another butt section that needs to go. Only 36" in diameter.
8244dbc16802e0707d732faf8e5a6bc3.jpg

Noodles
78640fe64641f6e3f2b6a5b1122b59f3.jpg
59e392091f99591cb68a7d5cfed76661.jpg

Time to go home
00d2fe761d4b3f9ee467b81f5bb7e59f.jpg

That's a huge scrounging score, nice haul!
I let my saw tune itself, but I've been running 45:1 as a trial.

No idea what kind of maple it is. The heart wood seems very hard. I took 4 truck/ trailer loads out already. Now I need to do the work to break down the rest of the tree.

Here is what it looked like standing.

606dcd9b6a085bf2c912aec15720b5c0.jpg
By the shape of the tree it looks like silver maple but the picture isn't clear enough on my screen to give 100%.

The trunk section of that tree is going to be difficult to split by hand. Usually those big boys are pretty twisted. But the trunk wood also seems much more dense than the limb wood even when fully dry.

By the shape of the tree it looks like silver maple but the picture isn't clear enough on my screen to give 100%.

The trunk section of that tree is going to be difficult to split by hand. Usually those big boys are pretty twisted. But the trunk wood also seems much more dense than the limb wood even when fully dry.

The bark and shape of the tree looks like silver maple. These are popular yard trees because they grow quickly. They are also quick to fall over in storms and drop limbs on your house. I've burned a lot of it, not quite as good as red maple but good enough. It's like hackberry, keep it off the ground and dry because it rots very quickly.

Shape fits, as well as multiple stems and the way it died back, but the bark looks like Norway maple to me. In New England at least, silver maples have pretty shaggy bark. I've found all maples will get darker staining in the heartwood, especially when old or infirm.

Norway is pretty close to sugar in density, and like sugar is great firewood. Takes longer to dry though, silver dries very quickly.

Norway:
norway_maple_16_bark.jpg

Silver:
acsa7559.jpg

I figured it was some type of maple but I will compare some to the silver maple in the front yard. I actually think it may be a norway maple. I am a firewood scrounger so it all burns for me. As for splitting, I use a hydro or it gets noodled. No dickin' around with a maul or sledge and a wedge.

I was gonna guess it was Red Maple, but it may be Norway, but they don't usually fork out that way. Red is harder than Silver, but not Norway or Sugar.

I cut a Maple down last year that I was not sure what it was. I wonder if the cross pollinate sometimes. The leaves looked like one thing, and the bark like another.

I was gonna guess it was Red Maple, but it may be Norway, but they don't usually fork out that way. Red is harder than Silver, but not Norway or Sugar.

I cut a Maple down last year that I was not sure what it was. I wonder if the cross pollinate sometimes. The leaves looked like one thing, and the bark like another.

Personally I have trouble with ID of maple types without the leaves but I have read about structural differences. The silver will multi-stem more often. The red and sugar tend to have a more rounded canopy. The silver canopy is frequently irregular, jutting in different directions. The silver has many more bent, droopy limbs. That old devil in the picture looks to have silver tendencies but it also has had some hard years with disfigurement. I do know it is firewood now.

Loaded up to split a giant driftwood log. 5-6' diameter at the base 20' long, chock full of silt. Not looking forward to it but my boss asked if I could take care of it so I will. I'll post pics and complain about sharpening my chain twice per bucking cut. Stay tuned kids.

IMG_20160324_194439809_zps308d5q66.jpg

Had to take the big boy saw out today to work on that massive trunk. Ran 2 tanks through before the cutters dulled. Some cutters look a touch ragged so I may have caught a surprise in the wood. Hopefully nothing a few passes with a file won't fix.

I was amazed at how well the 365 did with the 28" bar. It wasn't screaming like it does with a 20" bar but it was a long long way from bogging. Cut that hard maple without a problem.

I wonder why the 365 isn't more popular. The balance was pretty good as well. Not as good as with a 24" bar but good. I liked running the big bar. It was lots of fun. Now I am wondering what it's like to run 90cc.

I did the noodling with the 20" bar today. Now I have a lot of cutters to touch up. I'm tired tonight. 2 1/2 hours of full throttle cutting will do that. I only quit because the 20" chain needed touched up and I ran outnof gas. It does not take long to go though 3 tanks of gas with the big saw.

c8c017a344a6061f5dc9c8b8be43613b.jpg

6b0faa225b41d577b5aa21fd78ab2a34.jpg

7da30b60bb6ed26f2f8e18f51bfd4cbc.jpg

ddbb37290a18dc672b52eb34e1dbb2ea.jpg

Our boy Linus enjoying the warm weather, posing on the deck.

He thinks he is a Sphinx!

Beautiful dog. Same color pattern as my lazy, affectionate Am Staff.

Since tax season is just about over, are you planning on going full speed with scrounging soon? I have to go to NJ soon for a month so no chainsaw for me. I'm going to miss my Makita blue friend.

On another note, if any of you gun nuts have an AR or know a lot about them please send me an PM. When I get back from NJ I'm going to pick up a Beretta A300, possibly a 870, and either a AR (complete or build one myself) or pistol caliber carbine. I want a pistol but don't really see a use for it without a CCW. Thanks

Beautiful dog. Same color pattern as my lazy, affectionate Am Staff.

Since tax season is just about over, are you planning on going full speed with scrounging soon? I have to go to NJ soon for a month so no chainsaw for me. I'm going to miss my Makita blue friend.

On another note, if any of you gun nuts have an AR or know a lot about them please send me an PM. When I get back from NJ I'm going to pick up a Beretta A300, possibly a 870, and either a AR (complete or build one myself) or pistol caliber carbine. I want a pistol but don't really see a use for it without a CCW. Thanks
I have an A400 it's a sweet light gun. It does cost a good bit more that the A300's

Back