Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally agree w/all the advice, I usually have 3 size saws (4 saws, the 2-70s just seem to be able to do everything), and I have double/triple cut a lot of times also to avoid a pinch, and even cut with the second saw right next to the pinched bar to relieve the pressure an let it go free, but sometimes when a tree goes down hard and there is internal splitting, you don't see the pinch till it grabs you. It is always nice to be prepared to get out of it.

When I'm cutting logs, I watch how they are stacked...usually you can tell which side is under compression. I've been using wedges for a while, and rarely do I even get a snug bar. A lot of cutting is reading the tree, not just haphazard cutting.

ya if 2 saws are good, 3 have to be better ;)

Many of you probably also use this technique - I frequently wide cut or double cut logs when bucking large logs or wood under tension - it has saved me quite a few stuck bars. When a log looks like it might pinch and I dont have large enough wedges, I make 1 cut and stop when it starts to get tight, then make another cut adjacent to the first, and after the log moves or compresses, shave out the middle wood. Not a perfect panacea if you blindly scream into the logs, but if you take things a little slower and get in the 2 cut habit, it can save your bacon.

Some other tricks: Cut a V into a tree to allow it to relax. Roll pieces under a trunk to support the weight before cutting. Cut along the trunk every 14" (length of my firewood), each cut to the depth of where the bar gets a bit tight which can allow the trunk to settle on soil.

I only carry one saw although I do carry spare bars and chain. I usually work alone and there's zero reason in my mind to prove to a downed tree that one particular strategy is the best. If the best way to cut looks like a few more steps than I'd like, well, then it takes a few more steps.

Tricks work nice if you see it coming, but like Philbert said, it some instances you don't see it coming, and when you have to get things done in a time frame, sometimes stuff will happen. Most of the time, things go smooth as glass, and then there are those other times!!!

Tricks work nice if you see it coming, but like Philbert said, it some instances you don't see it coming, and when you have to get things done in a time frame, sometimes stuff will happen. Most of the time, things go smooth as glass, and then there are those other times!!!

"Other times" like up on the roof during a T storm trying to cut away enough side branches from the oak that tornado that just passed overhead decided to rearrange to get a tarp over the big hole in the roof.

Tin roofs in a storm are rather slickery to try and keep your footing on, for one...

Yep, chainsawing can get sorta adventurous at times.

View attachment 362805 Bringing home plenty of loads like this.

Wind blown braches etc.. off trees. These have been down for quite some time. I can get close to 1.5 metres of wood on the deck of the ute

I'd get some screen on that back window guard , I''ve not popped a back window yet but I know plenty that have LOL
I've started the process of mechanization for wood scrounging :)
I picked up a free atv that fits in the utv :)

IMG_20140807_072237.jpg

Mountainhill, sometimes you can have a really bad day. I got a couple of saws pinched in this tree one day. Knew I should have just stayed in bed. Finally realized the damn loader was holding the tree up. I've bought a few more saws since then so I don't get caught in a pinch again.
IMG-20120427-00818.jpg

Took down 7 trees today, but none were really big so it was fairly easy. Two were on a steep bank right over the road, so they had to be tied, but it went well.

Then came the hard part. Due to some "miss communication" the excavator operator buried the wood logs that I previously cut in dirt, then dug them up again to be cut to length.

I was not happy. As you know, I like to use square file chain, but this was semi chisel chain work. Luckily, that Smittybilt 046 has the extra oomph to pull the semi chisel just fine. Here is a pic of my work in progress!

Attachments

• Aug8-2014 005.jpg
    Aug8-2014 005.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 39
Those little Suzuki's are tough little workhorses. Hard to beat that deal.

Might be time for a trailer tho. Or 2 - one for each rig.

(This is the first weekend in a long time I've managed to line up free time for scrounging - wish these darned thundershower things would just go away. Grrrr...)

Don, I respect your opinion, but I think if you run square file in freshly fallen clean wood you will be hooked!

And I know 50 cc will pull it, any your saws are ported, but they won't pull it in that big wood like that ported 046. With them, the saw wt is not a factor, and I just want to get it done, and it gets done much faster with that.

I have other people, like Bret, telling me to run more aggressive square file for firewood cutting.

I guess it depends on what you normally cut. Most of what I cut either I have dropped, or it came down recently in a storm. It is rare that I have to cut up wood that was buried in dirt. I can not envision wanting to give up the advantage of square file in that stuff. Have you tried it yet?

Don, I respect your opinion, but I think if you run square file in freshly fallen clean wood you will be hooked!

And I know 50 cc will pull it, any your saws are ported, but they won't pull it in that big wood like that ported 046. With them, the saw wt is not a factor, and I just want to get it done, and it gets done much faster with that.

I have other people, like Bret, telling me to run more aggressive square file for firewood cutting.

I guess it depends on what you normally cut. Most of what I cut either I have dropped, or it came down recently in a storm. It is rare that I have to cut up wood that was buried in dirt. I can not envision wanting to give up the advantage of square file in that stuff. Have you tried it yet?
Mike, I've not tried square filed, as 90% of my wood here is dead Oak that sometimes throws sparks when cutting. I understand sq is the fastest chain, but I also want a chain to stay sharp through a couple tanks. I can also get semi to cut just as fast as round filed chisel... I will have a couple sq loops for the next gtg saws races this Fall. :D

Latest posts

Back