Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you posted, as usual. 90% of my cutting is recently dropped wood, 90% of yours is dead Oak that throws sparks, that is why we have different preferences, and why we choose different chain most of the time. But as you see, there are times I go with what fits the situation.

I like Oak, and I cut a good deal of it, but I cut Maple and Ash just as much, and upstate a lot of Cherry. Also run into Locust now and then, but not as much as the others (but when you find it, it is usually in a stand and there is more of it).

In clean wood, the square file holds up just as well as RS, and it cuts a little faster.

Those little Suzuki's are tough little workhorses. Hard to beat that deal.

Might be time for a trailer tho. Or 2 - one for each rig.

(This is the first weekend in a long time I've managed to line up free time for scrounging - wish these darned thundershower things would just go away. Grrrr...)

Yes they are. Ive got onr like that a few years newer but essentially the same. 300cc that can pull like a 600. And they take a good beating.

We'll see how much of a beating they'll take when I get it running , the previous owner spent a tonne of dough on it , parked it for a year , now has a fuel issue .
I wasn't looking for a trail runner , just a small traktor :)

Dan, your photos show TWO ATV's - did you get both FREE? :dizzy: :eek:

The first one was free but the parts list was just too large to make it a runner so I started looking at the local ads for a complete runner , he was asking 1800$ with a pos trailer , I offered less than 1/2 and he keep the trailer but he had to deliver it to my shop , he settled for 800$
The nice thing about these old Suzuki's is that they have a high ,low and a super low range plus a front differential lock making it a true 4x4.
The first one is almost the same so it's now a spare parts department :)

While out of the house yesterday, I passed a tree company doing some work. I noticed they had stacked the wood- and quite a bit of it, along the driveway. So I stop and ask about it and the boss says take it all. I go,home and get my dump truck, pull right up to the wood and proceeded to fill it twice....that's 4 cords almost all oak in just under 2 hours! I tell them I sell wood and the boss asks for my number and says, you are my new firewood guy! What a great find.

While out of the house yesterday, I passed a tree company doing some work. I noticed they had stacked the wood- and quite a bit of it, along the driveway. So I stop and ask about it and the boss says take it all. I go,home and get my dump truck, pull right up to the wood and proceeded to fill it twice....that's 4 cords almost all oak in just under 2 hours! I tell them I sell wood and the boss asks for my number and says, you are my new firewood guy! What a great find.

Proof that it's as important to be lucky as much as good!

Great for you!!!

neba2uda.jpg

Still cutting brush and saplings at my sportsmens club. Bringing all the decent sized poles home.
Had a friend bring a present yesterday. All cherry.

5ybama6e.jpg

I was able to go get an 8' trailer full today. It was storm damage layimg on the side of the road waiting to be picked up and hauled to a Dump. I did not even need to bring a chainsaw. It was all cut up to 4' lengths! It was mostly (what I call) Black Jack Oak. It is loaded with figure and color and hell on a chain.
gy8egu4y.jpg

I'd get some screen on that back window guard , I''ve not popped a back window yet but I know plenty that have LOL
I've started the process of mechanization for wood scrounging :)
I picked up a free atv that fits in the utv :)

IMG_20140807_072237.jpg
That's why I added a backrack...after the Wife bounced a round off the back window...it didn't break, but no sense tempting it.

Glad you posted, as usual. 90% of my cutting is recently dropped wood, 90% of yours is dead Oak that throws sparks, that is why we have different preferences, and why we choose different chain most of the time. But as you see, there are times I go with what fits the situation.

I like Oak, and I cut a good deal of it, but I cut Maple and Ash just as much, and upstate a lot of Cherry. Also run into Locust now and then, but not as much as the others (but when you find it, it is usually in a stand and there is more of it).

In clean wood, the square file holds up just as well as RS, and it cuts a little faster.
Mike, I ordered two loops of sq ground chain today. Will give it a shot, but will mostly use it for racing... :cool:

I'm using the PFERD Three Square files, they are almost like using a round file. It is the only one I have used, but I'm happy with it.

Even in clean wood, it is good to touch it up after about 2 tanks. Square is much better if you keep it sharp. Remember, you now have to go from the outside in, and keep the corner of the file in the corner of the chain. Your experienced at sharpening, you will pick it up quick.

Back