Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone run across this before? I’m thinking it’s been like this since right after I put it in 2 years ago . Truck wouldn’t get warm when it was cool out . I’m the only one who drives it so I can say with confidence it’s never been overheated . This was in the 350 that came out of my 72 and going into my other 68 . It’s a Motorad 180 thermostat IMG_8557.jpegIMG_8558.jpeg

You can use boiled linseed oil, or polyurethane. I've seen drying problems with both when applied in high humidity. If you go polyurethane, I would only use fresh oil based Varithane. The only other brand I liked was made by DeMert (Heet) and was discontinued 45 or 50 years ago, and DeMert is long gone too. The varithanf folks told me it should be applied only when the relative humidity was 20% or less. I laughed in his face. Realistically, pick a nice low humidity sunny day to put it on, or heat the room.
I actually have used varathane in the past, never gave it a thought as a floor coating. The room will eventually be hest/ac controlled but not at present time. Probably best to wait till closer to fall to put something like that on. Humidity is killer this time of year.
Anyone run across this before? I’m thinking it’s been like this since right after I put it in 2 years ago . Truck wouldn’t get warm when it was cool out . I’m the only one who drives it so I can say with confidence it’s never been overheated . This was in the 350 that came out of my 72 and going into my other 68 . It’s a Motorad 180 thermostat View attachment 1182441View attachment 1182442
It's one of those stupid "fail safe" designed thermostats that inevitably always fail. Get a normal stant/ oe thermostat as a replacment.

I actually have used varathane in the past, never gave it a thought as a floor coating. The room will eventually be hest/ac controlled but not at present time. Probably best to wait till closer to fall to put something like that on. Humidity is killer this time of year.

It's one of those stupid "fail safe" designed thermostats that inevitably always fail. Get a normal stant/ oe thermostat as a replacment.
I bought a stant 180 for the new motor .

Anyone run across this before? I’m thinking it’s been like this since right after I put it in 2 years ago . Truck wouldn’t get warm when it was cool out . I’m the only one who drives it so I can say with confidence it’s never been overheated . This was in the 350 that came out of my 72 and going into my other 68 . It’s a Motorad 180 thermostat View attachment 1182441View attachment 1182442
Have seen them stuck open or one side broken

I FORGOT to say that varathane has a specific floor varnish. It is what is used commonly on gym floors and stages. It is more wear resistant, although regular varathane stands up well.

I have had hearing aids for about 10 or 12 years and am on my second set. Two different brands. I got them through an audiologist. There is no setting up to do with them. There may have been, and might still be, an option to be able to change some settings, such as for in a noisy restaurant (they all are) with a cell phone, but i did not go for that. I thought: I have to get my phone out, turn it on, find the app, figure out what it is I need to find on it and turn that on. No, I will keep it simple; things like that you need to do often enough to not forget and have to relearn how to use it every time (like setting your VCR). All I have to do is turn them on in the morning, put them in my ears and change batteries as needed. Those usually last about 6 days. I am probably about due for another checkup, another set. To promote domestic tranquility.
Thanks for the reply. I use phone aps for mine as well. I should make an appointment to get them checked out.

When the brother in-law says hammer down, so you down shift and all hell breaks loose at 65….

It was scary!

Took my belt off to get us home, boy was that wild. The rear would steer me hard right with any kinda throttle input…..View attachment 1182520View attachment 1182522View attachment 1182521
Backing plate not really made to handle anything over 40hp . Needs to make some real trailing arms to those rear leaf spring purches .

Even when they were designed to handle big block (stock ) hp they don’t hold up to 570 Hp :omg: My Chevelle a few years ago car wanted to go left every time I gave it gas . IMG_8559.jpegThe fix IMG_8560.jpeg

Did you ever pick up a set of chainsaw pants? After spending quite some time in them over the winter and yesterday being it was 80f, I'm really happy with them.

I did, ended up going with the arborwear ironwood. More than I wanted to spend but they are sized to fit (no elastic waist) and have more of a straight leg design like I wanted instead of the tapered more tight fitting ones. Pretty happy with them so far, fit well, not restrictive, zippered leg vents are nice when it’s hot.
IMG_2040.pngHopefully they provide some protection from this guy😳IMG_2041.png

Looks like one of those "just needs the carb cleaned" marketplace ads.:crazy2:
I was given a saw on here a few years back from a guy who went to the other site.

“Just needs the carb cleaned.”

Ended up having no spark, nearly no compression (cylinder wouldn’t clean up so needed a new one), bad kill switch, bad clutch, carb still didn’t run right after kit so put in a new one.

I wanted a project saw anyhow but got more than I bargained for. And of course the rest of the components weren’t tested till the cylinder was replaced.

Have you disconnected the alternator? I've seen more than one go bad and create a draw even though they charge just fine.

GrizG might be a drain back through the alternator ( rectifier- diodes), which means its on it way out. There also a time delay relay ( solid state ) on the dash display board, they go bad causing a drain also. it also turns a security system on in some units of that era.

Family issues have consumed me... elder care has become a big part of my life. I'm not complaining. I've had a good life through their efforts and we've always had a good relationship. Anyhow, I am just getting back to the Blazer.

This was the IPC with the battery and alternator connected:
IMG_6764.gif

This is the IPC with the battery and alternator disconnected. It seems to have overheated and nearly run out of gas sitting for the past 8-9 days. 😉

IMG_6780.gif

I'm waiting for a new alternator to arrive at the auto parts store around noon today. I'm so done with remanufactured alternators... When I replaced the alternator in my father's truck two remanufactured units were bad... voltage regulator in the first one and the stud for the wire was broken off inside the housing of the second--I bought a new one. I'm going straight to a new one this time as 1 out of 3 swaps to get a working one is a bad ratio!

I'm going to pull the IPC and send that out to the place that MechanicMatt recommended. The repair to the IPC in my father's truck worked out well... I didn't know I'd be sending out another one!

I need the Blazer working as they can get in and out of it reasonably well. They have a hell of a time with my Accord... The Blazer is a stop gap until I get my brother's handicapped van back on the road. I'm pretty sure the wheel chair lift will be needed in the fairly short future. The van has been sitting since my brother died and needs things like a battery, brakes all around, and who knows what else. I'm excited to tackle that project! Not... 😉

I did, ended up going with the arborwear ironwood. More than I wanted to spend but they are sized to fit (no elastic waist) and have more of a straight leg design like I wanted instead of the tapered more tight fitting ones. Pretty happy with them so far, fit well, not restrictive, zippered leg vents are nice when it’s hot.
View attachment 1182582Hopefully they provide some protection from this guy😳View attachment 1182584
Nice! They're a buy once cry one kinda deal that will really ruin your weekend if you're not wearing them when needed.

Chaps are a thing of the past.

Latest posts

Back