Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some fun over the last week with a Monitor 422 kerosene heater that I bought for a backup a few years ago for $200. The seller swore that it worked great Blah blah blah. This one looks like new. My present one needs a rebuild to the frebox. I hooked the newer one up and turned it on. It lights up but the fan won't work and then it shuts off. I tore the frebox all down. There is a pot inside that the cover came off of it somehow. I welded that back on. While I was in there I glued down a new mat on the base. The mat spreads out the kerosene. I replaced the firebox gaskets and let her rip. I still had the same issue. I replaced a heat probe and the heater is working great now. These heaters are really great units. It is a shame that they stopped making them. I use one of these for heating my 3 car garage. Here is what they look like. They vent thru an outside wall.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240609_183810_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240609_183810_Chrome.jpg
    649.5 KB
Better than your nuts and bolts if you leave them in your pockets. 😆
Reminds me of changes in my life… When I was a kid you were likely to step on BBs or ball bearings for a sling shot. Over time that changed to spent primers when I started reloading at 16.😉

This recently popped up on Marketplace, 1989 John Deere amt 600

448091696_10160899946552746_6206399318712146592_n.jpg

Mechanics get this girl running within 15 mins everytime I take it to them, I can never keep it running past Nov. When it gets cold it starts having issues for me. My back is now gone, so I can no longer load it up to get it fixed each time. It has been gone over in everyway last few years, in VERY good shape for what it is. Owned by our family since 1989. Time to let her go. Be best for someone good with engines.

Sentimental value.

When do you guys call it quits for a beloved 2 cycle tool? I have a Ryobi SS30 I bought in 2007 and have used it regularly every season since then. Around 2011 I simply did a muff mod and carb tune. It’s been flawless really. I also have a Stihl FS46 I use for brush cutting.

That Ryobi just runs. When it sees some heavy work the vibrations get a bit much which could be a loose hex shaft.
I am not sure I know how to call it quits, considering all but 1 of my saws were passed down or freebies from the trash. As long as used and NOS parts are available on eBay I will keep using and fixing them. Just used a Super XL auto that was from a good friend of my dads yesterday.

Took this four pronged “birch” I think, out for a neighbor because it uprooted and was taking up her whole back yard. The leaves look similar to Beech but it’s not a beech tree. Just curious what you guys thought of it.
I got to run the 261 for 3 tanks, and the 400 for 2 tanks. Needless to say I’m a little tired today after all that. I guess I’ll go back in a week and collect the rounds for firewood. Nice to holler at you guys again.

Attachments

• IMG_1649.MOV
    25.3 MB
I had some fun over the last week with a Monitor 422 kerosene heater that I bought for a backup a few years ago for $200. The seller swore that it worked great Blah blah blah. This one looks like new. My present one needs a rebuild to the frebox. I hooked the newer one up and turned it on. It lights up but the fan won't work and then it shuts off. I tore the frebox all down. There is a pot inside that the cover came off of it somehow. I welded that back on. While I was in there I glued down a new mat on the base. The mat spreads out the kerosene. I replaced the firebox gaskets and let her rip. I still had the same issue. I replaced a heat probe and the heater is working great now. These heaters are really great units. It is a shame that they stopped making them. I use one of these for heating my 3 car garage. Here is what they look like. They vent thru an outside wall.
I sure wish I could come up with something like that for the shop. I'd really like to have something other then just wood to keep some sort of heat in it over winter when I'm not out there. I have an omni sun and whatever generic kero heaters, but something like what you have looks like it would be great for supplemental heat.

I sure wish I could come up with something like that for the shop. I'd really like to have something other then just wood to keep some sort of heat in it over winter when I'm not out there. I have an omni sun and whatever generic kero heaters, but something like what you have looks like it would be great for supplemental heat.
But kerosene? I don't know how efficient those heaters are, but kerosene is $5-$6/gal around here.

But kerosene? I don't know how efficient those heaters are, but kerosene is $5-$6/gal around here.
I usually have an omni sun and a dynaglow running during shoulder season in the house anyway. They are very efficient at heating and fuel usage. 5-6 gallons lasts a week with how we use them. Not having anything other then wood as primary heat + the investment to get natural gas or propane leaves kerosene as a good alternative.
Side note, you can burn diesel in them, need an additive, but it doesn't burn as cleanly and stinks, so a no go in the house. The shop is a different story. Won't be any worse then one of those torpedo heaters and much less noise.

Why not put in a propane unit heater? Set the thermostat for 40° and they just sip propane. I heat my shop all winter on 100-150 gallons of propane.

Why not put in a propane unit heater? Set the thermostat for 40° and they just sip propane. I heat my shop all winter on 100-150 gallons of propane.
Simple answer is my wife wouldn't allow it, without hooking up the house as well. Cost aside, there are a few odd township ordinances I have to contend with since the house sits too close to the property line on 1 side, not allowed to have an exposed tank in front of the house and septic is behind the house. Shop is in a similar situation, property line too close on one side, the front is the driveway, the back is the hill. Which leaves the lean to side, again buried tank would be the way to go there. But I'm planning on doing all my splitting/log pile to move in that area.
I know, I know, first world problems.

Simple answer is my wife wouldn't allow it, without hooking up the house as well. Cost aside, there are a few odd township ordinances I have to contend with since the house sits too close to the property line on 1 side, not allowed to have an exposed tank in front of the house and septic is behind the house. Shop is in a similar situation, property line too close on one side, the front is the driveway, the back is the hill. Which leaves the lean to side, again buried tank would be the way to go there. But I'm planning on doing all my splitting/log pile to move in that area.
I know, I know, first world problems.
I see, that makes sense.

Same here. And fuel oil is pricey and sometimes hard to come by. Alot of guys were using off road diesel in my area
At this point you'd be hard pressed to find any fuel/oil supplier that uses anything other then ulsd for heating, off or on road diesel. Sulfur content was really the only thing separating them to begin with, heating oil traditionally was 4k ppm sulfur content same as off road diesel. With the advent of interim tier 4 and tier 4 engines, pretty much everyone was forced to switch to ulsd. We had loads of wrong fuel issues with generators and off road engines, everywhere till the fuel suppliers got their act together. Basically came down to being easier for the suppliers to stock ulsd for all uses vs finding out if it's going to be used in an engine or for heating, and depending on the customer not to use heating oil in their tractor, truck, etc.
Only difference at this point is if it has die or not, or if it's taxed or not.
There was some legislation pertaining to heating oil back around 2012, possibly as late as 2015 for sulfur levels, but I never followed along to see if it ever took effect or came to more then north estern usa.

Latest posts

Back