Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m down in the valley for a couple days, then back up to our mountain place. Haven’t been using the loader, it developed a lift cylinder leak. That’s not an easy fix because it’s a big heavy cylinder, so I’ve been gathering what I need and devising a way to do it.

F9549B36-399D-4C80-A14B-EF701B6DF92A.jpeg

I’m down in the valley for a couple days, then back up to our mountain place. Haven’t been using the loader, it developed a lift cylinder leak. That’s not an easy fix because it’s a big heavy cylinder, so I’ve been gathering what I need and devising a way to do it.

View attachment 1194597
I'd plan on doing both cylinders if you're able/willing. Usually one follows the other if it's the gland packing. Does it still lift at all? Would make getting the boom up a lot easier. In times we didn't have a crane or another loader/ big excavator we would resort to shoving the bucket up on a pile of dirt or stones to get the boom up. Good luck and be careful.

I'd plan on doing both cylinders if you're able/willing. Usually one follows the other if it's the gland packing.

I’m also thinking of doing both, with the tilt cylinders the second one followed the next year. They’ve all been the gland packing. I had to replace the gland on one of the tilt cylinders, it was too pitted to seal.

Sorry Cowboy!!!

Seems our Rugby girls are just a little tougher than yours!!!

Don't make me do this, Mike :laugh:

GT7_IxDW4AAMEJg.jpg

Yes, I did steal that from the interwebs.

Hey, I just found out that the olympics has a second week. Australia generally checks out once the swimming is done (apart from the smoking hot Jess Fox in the kayak, she could give me a paddling anytime :crazy2: )

as far as I can tell non of the hvac has any connection to the can bus wires, or shared power/ grounds with the abs, air bag or cluster modules. The ecu has independant wiring that signals the cooling fan to activate and compressor clutch to enguage. I'd like to think the correlation between running the ac/ high outdoor temps is coincidence, but i won't rule it out. It's an issue that's been on and off since it got hot out, and has happened without the ac on, but I've never been able to get home and get the laptop on it and start eliminating modules to see what changes.
I had thought of low voltage issues causing the issue, all the fuses, wiring are in good shape, short run to the fan controller too, and independent of the ecu and other models power and ground supply. The "battery" power distribution/fuse box is noted for getting overheated, however it's pretty new with heavier wiring coming from the alternator and new fuse strips.
Vcds faults seem to point to one of the 3 models taking a poop, or a wiring issue, not low voltage issues. Additionally, I don't have any faults on the engine can bus (different bus then the other modules use.)
If I have time when I have off I'll have to take the dash completely out to get at the "splice" where the 3 modules all connect before going to the cluster. The can bus wires exit the cluster then go to the ecu. It's a stupid set up, and there's a possibility all the issues are being caused by the cluster, which is its own can of worms if it needs replaced.
I did rule out all associated under hood wiring from the ecm to the fire wall connector. Cleaned up a bunch of unused wires from whoever did the manual swap, and removed all the power wires and can bus wires from the tcm, which removed several potential issues/failure points.
I appreciate anymore thoughts or ideas, being how infrequently it actually acts up I'm pretty stumped at this point, with less but more invasive things to check out.
So far the only good thing that's come from all this mess, is I'm pretty sure I figured out why the cruise control doesn't work. One of the clutch pedal switches isn't activating correctly, so the car thinks the clutch is pushed in all the time. (Yep, stupid design there too, 2 different switches, one for the starter and one for the cruise control)
I had a cruise control thing a while back that traced to an ABS non - comm code. If that helps, or hurts... cruise would only work to kick up the idle when it was stopped. Yours is likely different, but a can bus can be tempermental.

VWs used to be infamous for ground issues. You might try a temporary jumper from the alt. mounting bolt directly to the bat ground terminal, and or a jumper from the body to ground terminal. Poor grounds lead to all kinds of funky things. If either jumper improves things, you can chase the problem or make the temp jumper permanent.

may or may not be related to your problems, but easy to try. My last one had a permanent jumper from the alt.

I had a cruise control thing a while back that traced to an ABS non - comm code. If that helps, or hurts... cruise would only work to kick up the idle when it was stopped. Yours is likely different, but a can bus can be tempermental.
Whoever did the manual swap must have not known th add the second pedal switch for cruise. The deeper I dig the less impressed I've been with the wiring. With I knew what I know now when I bought it. The cruise is a simple fix though. Just need to run to the junk yard and grab a switch and a pig tail for the wiring.
VWs used to be infamous for ground issues. You might try a temporary jumper from the alt. mounting bolt directly to the bat ground terminal, and or a jumper from the body to ground terminal. Poor grounds lead to all kinds of funky things. If either jumper improves things, you can chase the problem or make the temp jumper permanent.

may or may not be related to your problems, but easy to try. My last one had a permanent jumper from the alt.
I'll try a jumper, can't hurt, easily enough to do.
This reminds me of my grandpa talking about how they used to shoot a deer with a 22, take it home and have it all canned by the morning. He grew up in northern WI during the depression. View attachment 1194803
truth right there....

Did a family vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula last week and managed to squeeze a few hours in for ol' dad. The rest of the family humored me and we all toured the Tahquamenon Logging Museum.
20240729_121201.jpg
I know some of you are considering renaming your shop to match this building that was on site.
20240729_120900.jpg
An eclectic mix of old and older saws.
20240729_120819.jpg
20240729_121025.jpg
Some two man saws, including one with a motorcycle style throttle that @Sawdust Man may have helped his grandpa run when he was still Sawdust Boy (note chain).
20240729_122827.jpg
Log marking tools used to identify log ownership when they were all intermingled in the water.
20240729_121316.jpg
Of course some wheelbarrow põrn.
20240728_222604.jpg
And a (nearly) firewood related refreshment back at the cabin at the end of the evening. It was a good week, though it was quite warm for the UP.

Did a family vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula last week and managed to squeeze a few hours in for ol' dad. The rest of the family humored me and we all toured the Tahquamenon Logging Museum.
View attachment 1194939
I know some of you are considering renaming your shop to match this building that was on site.
View attachment 1194941
View attachment 1194942
View attachment 1194940
Some two man saws, including one with a motorcycle style throttle that @Sawdust Man may have helped his grandpa run when he was still Sawdust Boy (note chain).
View attachment 1194945
Log marking tools used to identify log ownership when they were all intermingled in the water.
View attachment 1194944
View attachment 1194943
And a (nearly) firewood related refreshment back at the cabin at the end of the evening. It was a good week, though it was quite warm for the UP.
Tension looks fine, but it kinda looks like it's on backwards.....🤔

Pretty neat place. 👍

View attachment 1194939
View attachment 1194941
View attachment 1194942
View attachment 1194940
View attachment 1194945
View attachment 1194944
View attachment 1194943
Ya der Hay! Yoopers! Looks like a good place. If I ever get way up dere in that part of the UP, I hope to go there. We just went to Pioneer park in Rhinelander, WI. I took some pictures to post, but have not processed them to the computer yet. It is several museums in one place. Logging museum (++) Sawmill Museum (+) Railroad Museum, with narrow ga. Baldwin logging locomotive (2-8-0) (+) CCC museum, fire museum, drum corps museum, and more. Got chased out by a Hodag, and went home. (If you've never been to Rhinelander, you will never understand about the Hodag)

Well, going to try and rebuild the carb on the 1-76 Mac while I'm on call today. So long as plans hold out, in 2 Mondays I'll be helping a friend take a bunch of trees down around his place. I did convince him to rent a high reach. 2 of the trees spread out over his shop, and while I could climb and rope everything down to the roof and off the roof, I think the high reach will just be faster, safer and a lot easier. Wanted to use my buddies bucket truck, but he's so busy I hated to ask him, and we just couldn't make a date work for both of us.
Anyway, hopefully I get the Mac running and I can take it with. Have a huge old locust to take down in the corner of the property, figured that would be a good work out for the 1-76

Back