Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So that was the press fit pick up?
Yes GM used the press fit design once it moves it’s no good anymore unless you weld it . I could just get a new pickup but for 33$ from Rock Auto for a standard volume pump it’s a no brainer . I also change out the pump shaft because the stock unit uses a plastic sleeve to align the pump to the shaft . The aftermarket is all metal

This may not be right but I remember for every turbine put up 3.5 acres of farmland was lost. 80 to 100 turbines put up in this windfarm. Sure the landowner gets payment for the use of the land. But this land will never be usable again because there is like 100yd of concrete/rebar in the ground to hold it up. Make sure you have firewood for heat, garden and a hand pump for water for when the grid goes down. That is how I plan to square the circle..
They have already told us their plan for that. "You will have nothing, and like it" "because we told you so... ... and you believed cnn". That means THEY will have electricity. You won't, unless you figure out a way to generate your own.

Electricity isn't inherently difficult to generate, there are loads of ways that have been proven to work for years on end, with little to moderate upkeep. Storage has been and will remain the biggest issue for reliable cost effective electric in point of use systems.

Yesterday afternoon was all fun for me with this Maple tree. I have wanted this tree gone for years as it shades one of our gardens in the afternoon. It also blocked a bar way in the stonewall that I haven't been able to use. My little Husqvarna 550mkii made mincemeat out of it. All the wood is now in my woodpile waiting to be bucked up. This morning I will clean up the leaves with my mower.

Attachments

• 20240813_142120.jpg
    20240813_142120.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240813_142146.jpg
    20240813_142146.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240813_150117.jpg
    20240813_150117.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240813_181538.jpg
    20240813_181538.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Good morning

I don’t know that I shared too much about it in here, but my boys and I have kind of gotten into collecting outboards. Amazingly, we now have more outboards than chainsaws, although I did have more chainsaws at the peak a few years back.

Started to clean out the pole barn yesterday because outboards laid on the ground take up a lot of space lol. Two of my teenage boys have gotten into wrenching and I’m giving each of them two spots in the garage, one spot for storage and one spot for a vehicle. Hopefully this will give them some vested interest in keeping things clean otherwise. I told them anything that doesn’t fit into their storage spot has to go out into the junkyard or to the dump.

We are going to construct a two-tier rack on the one wall of the barn to hang outboards. This will help us organize the parts motors anyway.

We’ll see how this goes.

Good morning

I don’t know that I shared too much about it in here, but my boys and I have kind of gotten into collecting outboards. Amazingly, we now have more outboards than chainsaws, although I did have more chainsaws at the peak a few years back.

Started to clean out the pole barn yesterday because outboards laid on the ground take up a lot of space lol. Two of my teenage boys have gotten into wrenching and I’m giving each of them two spots in the garage, one spot for storage and one spot for a vehicle. Hopefully this will give them some vested interest in keeping things clean otherwise. I told them anything that doesn’t fit into their storage spot has to go out into the junkyard or to the dump.

We are going to construct a two-tier rack on the one wall of the barn to hang outboards. This will help us organize the parts motors anyway.

We’ll see how this goes.
sometime around getting our drivers license, we couldn't hardly walk through my dad's shop. There was a little path from the man door over to the compressor where we could sneak the hose under the one garage door. (Couldnt open it up, too much junk woukd fall out) He told me and one of my brothers to "clean up the shop if we wanted to work in it so bad." Well. We waited till he went to work (dad worked out of town at that time.) And cleaned the shop out. Anything we didn't see a need for got scrapped or trashed. Opened up both bays, cleared the bench off, rearranged the welders, Air compressor, press etc. Dad came home that Friday and nearly had a heart attack. Shop was clean and 100% clutter free, just like he told us. Just didn't have all his junk laying around anymore. Dad never asked us to clean up the shop again. (And its stayed ckeaned out ever since.)We laugh about it now, but man he was so mad at us at the time.

After my brother Matt and I moved out of my parents' house, we left behind a garage filled with engines and parts taken off engines (like exhaust manifolds that were replaced with headers, etc.). There was also a complete 390 Police Interceptor engine, etc. My Dad had a client that owned a business restoring Mustangs to original, so he arranged for them to clean out the garage, take what they wanted, and sell the rest. Part of the package deal was me selling them two of my Mustangs that I could no longer keep (no garage space). I got $1,500 each for my 1970 Boss 302 (w/o the engine) and for my 1968 Factory original 428 CJ Mustang with the 4:30 drag pack option. I made money on both of them, but knew I would regret selling them, but I had no choice.

At the same time, they wanted to sell me a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang for $2,500. It had a blown head gasket, and no one was making replacements at the time. I had no interest, would rather have kept either of the ones that I had to sell.

sometime around getting our drivers license, we couldn't hardly walk through my dad's shop. There was a little path from the man door over to the compressor where we could sneak the hose under the one garage door. (Couldnt open it up, too much junk woukd fall out) He told me and one of my brothers to "clean up the shop if we wanted to work in it so bad." Well. We waited till he went to work (dad worked out of town at that time.) And cleaned the shop out. Anything we didn't see a need for got scrapped or trashed. Opened up both bays, cleared the bench off, rearranged the welders, Air compressor, press etc. Dad came home that Friday and nearly had a heart attack. Shop was clean and 100% clutter free, just like he told us. Just didn't have all his junk laying around anymore. Dad never asked us to clean up the shop again. (And its stayed ckeaned out ever since.)We laugh about it now, but man he was so mad at us at the time.
Thats awesome! I can imagine the chagrin of arriving home and having all of the treasures gone though!!!!

I am trying to teach the boys the art of scrounging with a purpose. IE saws, outboards etc from a "family". I collect the clamshell huskys in the 36/41/136/141 as well as poulan versions, 350 family, and 65/77 family. For outboards I like the 6/7.5/8 hp OMC, 9.9/15 OMC and 18/20/25/30/35 OMC families. After you get 5 or so parts donors you really never need to buy parts beyond consumables like fuel line, carb gaskets, etc.

They haul home everything they find so we have outboards from 1.5 hp to 115 in the boneyard. Plus about 20 riding lawnmowers and a few snowmobiles lol.

I am trying to teach the boys the art of scrounging with a purpose. IE saws, outboards etc from a "family". I collect the clamshell huskys in the 36/41/136/141 as well as poulan versions, 350 family, and 65/77 family. For outboards I like the 6/7.5/8 hp OMC, 9.9/15 OMC and 18/20/25/30/35 OMC families. After you get 5 or so parts donors you really never need to buy parts beyond consumables like fuel line, carb gaskets, etc.

They haul home everything they find so we have outboards from 1.5 hp to 115 in the boneyard. Plus about 20 riding lawnmowers and a few snowmobiles lol.
Eventually I will need a motor. This is not my boat but I have one very similar that is just a shell. Now I know where to go.

1723654200972.png

Any idea what hp it originally had
I think it had a 50's Merc Mk20 on it. The other motor available was a 35hp 60's Evinrude but that was too big for the boat. My dads favorite motor was a 50's maroon 5.5hp seahorse. It would be cool to find a 15/20hp seahorse in that color for "his " boat.

I think it had a 50's Merc Mk20 on it. The other motor available was a 35hp 60's Evinrude but that was too big for the boat. My dads favorite motor was a 50's maroon 5.5hp seahorse. It would be cool to find a 15/20hp seahorse in that color for "his " boat.
I stihl have my 1955 3.5 hp seahorse in that color. Hasn't been run since the early 90's.

Let’s not slide into the politics and taxes boys…

I don’t wanna see this fine thread turned into a shot show

So, what do you guys think, 1500 diesel or 2500 diesel to drag the mini excavator to camp??

I have access to used of both….

Kinda wanna see what that 1500 can do
1500 will pull more than it will handle/ stop .

The interesting thing is they used to put 40 horse motors on those little 14 foot boats. The big difference was the weight was upfront due to the console steering. Could never pull that off with a tiller.

That would probably run pretty cool with a period correct 18 horse.

I stihl have my 1955 3.5 hp seahorse in that color. Hasn't been run since the early 90's.
I’ve had a number of maroon motors. Also have the green 1949 Johnson 2.5 that my grandpa and great grandfather purchased together. I do need a new water pump eccentric for it. in 1959 they also purchased together a 12 horse gale buccaneer which I ran until it blew up in the early 2000’s.

Latest posts

Back