Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is. It's belt driven with 2 different sized pulleys (for either gas/diesel or steam), but since I've been volunteering the past 10 years we've just used a Massey Ferguson 97, a rebadged Minneapolis-Moline G705 if memory is correct. It came from Amish in WI that could use tractors as stationary power and this one was used to power one of their sawmills, but I don't know if they used PTO or a belt to power the mill. It has pex valves on the radiator so they could hook them up to another radiator with a belt driven blower fan that hung from the rafters as a "heater" for sawmill in the winter.

View attachment 1200567
View attachment 1200568

The mill as a 48" dia blade, it's only primarily used for the thrashing show once a year or if someone asks the owner. Here's a couple older pictures of me running the mill and some of the bigger piles of milled lumber. If someone brings in logs to mill we will mill them to how they want them, otherwise the ones the owner brings are "get whatever you can or want out of them". The owner calls me the "saw master", but more or less I can run the mill and put on a show but I'm still learning how to properly run it. It's as easy as it looks but it can be hard too.

View attachment 1200569
View attachment 1200570

View attachment 1200571
View attachment 1200572

View attachment 1200573

View attachment 1200574
Looks like you know what you are doing. I was the idiot pulling the boards off a circle mill and stacking after each cut. It was on a concrete floor which was loaded with sawdust and crap. Made for a slippery footing. Guy running the mill didn't like me "wasting" time cleaning the floor so I would have a good footing. I had nightmares about tripping and falling into the blade.

Will be up there in a few weeks for the kid's 3rd grade field trip. Hiked into Avalanche lake last year with his 2nd grade class. Not a bad area to grow up in.

View attachment 1200621
Back packed to Lower Quartz lake in GNP and camped overnight there one year. I was the early riser, so I took my UL rod and small spoon and went fishing. After a few casts, I saw a dark object following my lure and when I stopped my retrieve, I saw a flash of color as the fish struck my lure. Reeled in a 18-20"? rainbow. Good times out there.
Scan-22-21.jpg

P.S. I woke my hiking buddy up to take the picture. Then he went back to bed.

Good morning everybody!

Love the western fishing pics. If I didn’t have ties to Northern Minnesota and all of the lakes up here, I definitely would’ve ended up somewhere with mountains and trout either out west or Northeast.

In regards to the hiking, it baffles me as to how many people go into the woods unprepared. Like people that go into long hikes and do not bring any water at all and then need to be rescued.

We are getting a lot more emergency calls up here because of the expanded cell phone service of the Boundary Waters. People chicken out halfway through their trip and expect to be rescued. They usually won’t unless you have an actual emergency.

This summer has been a cluster-ef of interruptions, but I did get the new transom put on one of our small boats. We have a number of long shaft motors and no boat small enough to run them adequately so now we do. Still need a couple more bolts and to trim off the long ones at the bottom.

Nearly went bankrupt buying stainless fasteners for this project but this should be good for a very long time.
IMG_1452.jpegIMG_1455.jpeg

My son found this vintage 20 horse that needs a new water impeller and lower unit seal but should be a good runner.
IMG_1456.jpeg
After I put together a couple couple more transoms, I get to tackle this guy. At least we can wash the old seat down the drain hole lol.
IMG_1450.jpeg

Good morning everybody!

Love the western fishing pics. If I didn’t have ties to Northern Minnesota and all of the lakes up here, I definitely would’ve ended up somewhere with mountains and trout either out west or Northeast.

In regards to the hiking, it baffles me as to how many people go into the woods unprepared. Like people that go into long hikes and do not bring any water at all and then need to be rescued.

We are getting a lot more emergency calls up here because of the expanded cell phone service of the Boundary Waters. People chicken out halfway through their trip and expect to be rescued. They usually won’t unless you have an actual emergency.
On my second hike in GNP, we met a group of guys from MN? One was carrying a large machete to protect himself against bears! Everyone knows that a griz will just rip the guy's arm off if he tries to strike a bear with that thing. :laugh: Nothing like packing light.

I noticed that sawtroll had not been active since June 2022 when he posted he is no longer using saws so he will be around less. I hope he is well in whatever he is doing.
One of the last things he had posted was that he had taken up old Bait casters as a hobby. I did wish him a HB on FB.

Yes it is. It's belt driven with 2 different sized pulleys (for either gas/diesel or steam), but since I've been volunteering the past 10 years we've just used a Massey Ferguson 97, a rebadged Minneapolis-Moline G705 if memory is correct. It came from Amish in WI that could use tractors as stationary power and this one was used to power one of their sawmills, but I don't know if they used PTO or a belt to power the mill. It has pex valves on the radiator so they could hook them up to another radiator with a belt driven blower fan that hung from the rafters as a "heater" for sawmill in the winter.

View attachment 1200567

The mill as a 48" dia blade, it's only primarily used for the thrashing show once a year or if someone asks the owner. Here's a couple older pictures of me running the mill and some of the bigger piles of milled lumber. If someone brings in logs to mill we will mill them to how they want them, otherwise the ones the owner brings are "get whatever you can or want out of them". The owner calls me the "saw master", but more or less I can run the mill and put on a show but I'm still learning how to properly run it. It's as easy as it looks but it can be hard too.
Cool Tractor! 101 PTO HP as tested in the Nebraska Tests. Produced 62-65. A very big HP tractor for then. It was contemporary to the John Deere 5010 with 109 PTO HP, tested. A rare bird now in Massey clothing. With Amish wheels, it is even more rare.

Back