Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that in 2007 at th end of a 180 mile two week hike that ended in Yosemite Valley.
Sure like to do the John Muir Trail , but don’t know if that will happen, with permit issues and such ,tried to one for Mt Whitney but was unsuccessful, when I was out that way , hike to the portal , of the Mountain,

I've been lucky enough to hike some nice trails. Half Dome, Grand Canyon, Mt Washington and Katahdin. My favorite although not in the US was Kilimanjaro. Took a week and it was so much fun. Lucky enough to be the first to the sign on top and be the first in Africa to see the sun rise as we left for the final push at midnight. First in North America to see sunrise on Katahdin. Left before dawn on that one, too.

Hey, are you sick of fish pics yet? Drove up to the north fork along the western border of Glacier National Park. Was a beautiful day, caught 10 cuttys before noon. Was 43° at 8am, mid 60's by 12.
View attachment 1200349View attachment 1200351
View attachment 1200358View attachment 1200359
View attachment 1200368
Never! Many years ago we flew west to Seattle and took Amtrak back east to the Izzak Walton Lodge in Montana. Would have taken train from here all the way but some tracks were out due to a flood in MN as I recall. Our two boys were junior high school age and they were excited about the trip. Fished rivers and a couple lakes within hiking distance of Izzak Walton Lodge. Got a rental car and spent some great time in Glacier National Park. It truly was a trip that none of us will ever forget! I fell in love with Montana but our boys, now grown men both have their own families (and our 7grandkids) so we are pretty well tied to SC. Now in our early 70’s and with some acreage and a nice place here I know that moving is no longer an option. Have been back a few times over the years for business and pleasure. Still in love with Montana 😀

Don't worry, next week they are going to hire teachers to teach the deer to cross at the Deer Crossing Signs!

And did you ever hear the woman who called into the radio station because she wanted the town to "move" the Deer Crossing Sign because "they should not have put a deer crossing sign in such a dangerous place"!
Sure did hear that idiot.

Sure like to do the John Muir Trail , but don’t know if that will happen, with permit issues and such

So choose a different starting or ending point, or both. One group I know started at Florence Lake and went south to Whitney Portal, then drove back to Florence Lake and went north to Yosemite Valley. Florence Lake is an easy permit to get. You could also chose a start point near one end.

That's not the problem, shoving them through and dragging them back out is, it just plain sucks.

These are just waaay better,

Resized-20200324-143201-9186-S.jpg

They are easy to build, easy to load and unload and they hold a half cord of splits.

SR
Mine are covered by the inner tubs and the wood stays dry.

A bunch of the homes next to the brook pictured in the Lyndonville, VT coverage were just taken by eminent domain. The state said there was no way to put septic systems in them that would not leak into the water system. With the amount the State will give them for the property vs the skyrocketing cost of housing up that way those people will be homeless and unable to afford something else.
Thank Bernie Sanders, he is probably behind it.

Tractor powered mill? You must have a circle mill? Thought I was silly having 16-18" Cherry milled once. But I got some beautiful lumber.

Yes it is. It's belt driven with 2 different sized pulleys (for either gas/diesel or steam), but since I've been volunteering the past 10 years we've just used a Massey Ferguson 97, a rebadged Minneapolis-Moline G705 if memory is correct. It came from Amish in WI that could use tractors as stationary power and this one was used to power one of their sawmills, but I don't know if they used PTO or a belt to power the mill. It has pex valves on the radiator so they could hook them up to another radiator with a belt driven blower fan that hung from the rafters as a "heater" for sawmill in the winter.

21055247_481080245610089_281875842129633989_o.jpg
21122452_481080215610092_6651009528614109383_o.jpg

The mill as a 48" dia blade, it's only primarily used for the thrashing show once a year or if someone asks the owner. Here's a couple older pictures of me running the mill and some of the bigger piles of milled lumber. If someone brings in logs to mill we will mill them to how they want them, otherwise the ones the owner brings are "get whatever you can or want out of them". The owner calls me the "saw master", but more or less I can run the mill and put on a show but I'm still learning how to properly run it. It's as easy as it looks but it can be hard too.

Picture1.jpg
Picture3.jpg

Picture2.jpg
Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Mine are covered by the inner tubs and the wood stays dry.
That's fine, but I've found that I only need to cover mine for a couple weeks before the splits go into my basement, so I cover the ones going down about 2 weeks before moving them.

The way my boxes are designed, a lot of air goes through them. I've double checked that, and it works out great.

SR

That's fine, but I've found that I only need to cover mine for a couple weeks before the splits go into my basement, so I cover the ones going down about 2 weeks before moving them.

The way my boxes are designed, a lot of air goes through them. I've double checked that, and it works out great.

SR
I've got to agree with you. Difficult for me to load and unload them unless you have a way to tip them over. I use a couple, though, just for my cut-offs. I built hip roof covers to keep my nubbins piles dry.

Back