Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You use sticks? I bought a pair but didn't like them so they sit in the corner. Maybe if I was fording streams on a regular basis
Once in awhile I’ll use them , most often on steep pitches , going down a long steep declines they help save ur knees and quads from getting tired , especially if ur carrying a heavier pack , I hadn’t use them for a long time , until I realized they do help in the longer hikes in steep terrain like below , IMG_1298.jpeg

One year during early season we were out the duck blind and it was well into the 70s. That was when I thought I was tough and shot 3 1/2 inch shells at everything. Got a major concussion headache after a flurry of active shooting in a T-shirt lol.
Years ago I was in a local gun shop and some kids were in there and one wanted a shotgun for geese I think it was. Insisted he needed a Browning SP 10 (?). Salesman tried to talk him out of it but the kid was determined so out the door it went. I told the guy I'd be back next week for it as it would be slightly used. Sure enough, the next week it was in the used gun rack. No, I didn't buy it as those hurt and I have a 416 I shoot with little problem

Years ago I was in a local gun shop and some kids were in there and one wanted a shotgun for geese I think it was. Insisted he needed a Browning SP 10 (?). Salesman tried to talk him out of it but the kid was determined so out the door it went. I told the guy I'd be back next week for it as it would be slightly used. Sure enough, the next week it was in the used gun rack. No, I didn't buy it as those hurt and I have a 416 I shoot with little problem
I have a Ithaca Mag 10 auto loader , she kicks a little when you rip off 3 shots in 5 seconds, lol 😆 👍

I have a Ithaca Mag 10 auto loader , she kicks a little when you rip off 3 shots in 5 seconds, lol 😆 👍
Just the standard 870 Mag for me. With my eyesight I'd just be wasting shells ($$). and besides, where I hunt on public land, there is a 25 shell max you can carry. And I've been checked twice on that. Sky busters ruin many hunters hunts so they complained. Cuts down on the barrage of shot going into the air when a single flies by. You still get those guys hunting in groups of 4 or 5 still unloading flak of a dozen shots when a bird comes over the decoys (who hit it?) but that occurs less now. No more pot shots at a passing bird out of range.

Just the standard 870 Mag for me. With my eyesight I'd just be wasting shells ($$). and besides, where I hunt on public land, there is a 25 shell max you can carry. And I've been checked twice on that. Sky busters ruin many hunters hunts so they complained. Cuts down on the barrage of shot going into the air when a single flies by. You still get those guys hunting in groups of 4 or 5 still unloading flak of a dozen shots when a bird comes over the decoys (who hit it?) but that occurs less now. No more pot shots at a passing bird out of range.
I’ve had it for a few decades, it came 32” full , I had it cut to 30” and chokes installed,

You guys have been busy lol. Been a busy weekend + my daughter has been sick. Actually took off yesterday to stay home with her. Her Fever broke last night so she's headed Into school today. Managed to get most of my knee wall done in the wood shed section of the shop. Just need to grab a coupple bags of sackrete and flow behind the wall to fill In the void.
Going to get another wood stove this evening, should be in a lit better shape then the one I got. As of last year it wad in use at a friend's house. He upgraded to a Kuma, giving him a coupple bucks for his old stove, but it doesn't need any work. He even has new fire bricks for it. I'll get up some pictures when I have free time.

My friend Harold and I made some progress (Tue-Wed) on the bathroom attachment to the cabin.

Plumbing and bringing in the shower are the next steps.

I'm thankful I can still do this stuff, but I'm hurting today.

Attachments

• IMG_20240827_165909428_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240827_165909428_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240828_131624818_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240828_131624818_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240828_131648592_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240828_131648592_HDR.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240828_131658395_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240828_131658395_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
You guys have been busy lol. Been a busy weekend + my daughter has been sick. Actually took off yesterday to stay home with her. Her Fever broke last night so she's headed Into school today. Managed to get most of my knee wall done in the wood shed section of the shop. Just need to grab a coupple bags of sackrete and flow behind the wall to fill In the void.
Going to get another wood stove this evening, should be in a lit better shape then the one I got. As of last year it wad in use at a friend's house. He upgraded to a Kuma, giving him a coupple bucks for his old stove, but it doesn't need any work. He even has new fire bricks for it. I'll get up some pictures when I have free time.
Glad she's feeling better. How's the school issues going.
What brand stove.

After a hard day's work, we broke for dinner including Venison Buck Backstrap!

It was delicious, and the Youngling was not bad either! We had both Lager and Black & Tan.

Also, pasta with Broccoli, Red Peppers, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20240827_174459903_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240827_174459903_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240827_174513818_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240827_174513818_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
I am NOT a mushroom guy, anyone know what these things are? They are large!

About 8" across. Did not know I had a mushroom farm!

The Logging guys are starting on my property today, got a call from him this morning.

That should keep the wife from complaining about what I spend on construction materials! HD is getting rich!

Attachments

• IMG_20240828_084606881_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240828_084606881_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Glad she's feeling better. How's the school issues going.
What brand stove.
Yet to be determined with her "friends" at school. One of the girls that moved away (Madeline) moved back to our area, and is in my daughters class which is good. However, the 2 jerks girls are in her class again. Considering school just started this week and she missed school yesterday, we'll just have to see how things go. So far nothing to report. My wife did have a conversation with this teacher the other day about the issues we had last year, so she's been informed.
Stove is a shenandoah, one of the square models with the auto draft feature. Can't remember the exact model number.

Yet to be determined with her "friends" at school. One of the girls that moved away (Madeline) moved back to our area, and is in my daughters class which is good. However, the 2 jerks girls are in her class again. Considering school just started this week and she missed school yesterday, we'll just have to see how things go. So far nothing to report. My wife did have a conversation with this teacher the other day about the issues we had last year, so she's been informed.
Stove is a shenandoah, one of the square models with the auto draft feature. Can't remember the exact model number.
Just asked him to send over a few pictures of it. Best guess is it's an r-76 or r-77. Side outlet, and a crinkle on that side. Pretty sure they bolt together, so an easy panel to replace if that's the case.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    823.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 1.jpg
    Screenshot 1.jpg
    899.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    959 KB · Views: 0
I’ve had it for a few decades, it came 32” full , I had it cut to 30” and chokes installed,
32" probably for lead shot on geese. Mine came with a 30" full and it was deadly (my eyes were better too!) back in the days of lead. Had I nice reach. Went to a 26" choke barrel so I could use it on quail but had trouble hitting ducks. Went back to a 28" choke and shoot much better. They say size doesn't matter, but I think it does.

Good luck. I think I may have mentioned before but if the school wont deal with bullies you have to be a PITA to get action.

Good luck. I think I may have mentioned before but if the school wont deal with bullies you have to be a PITA to get action.
with everything we went through last year, were (my wife) practically has the school principal on speed dial. Not dealing with the bs this year.

I've owned three ten's. An old spanish double with dual triggers, a Browning BPS 10, and a Browning Gold ten. The double was heavy as heck but recoil was manageable. The BPS was abusive. The Gold was ok but I got headaches even with heavy clothing on.

Haven't owned a Mag-10 or SP-10 (basically the identical gun first made by Ithaca and then licensed to Remington but I am told they kick less than a Gold.

With my neck issues I draw the line at 3" 12 ga magnums these days. I mostly hunt divers so a smooth swinging gun is much more useful than a cannon in those instance.

Back