Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back up to the cabin tomorrow morning through Wednesday to put shingles on the new bathroom roof, etc. I also plan to "re-locate" our solar panels above the new roof.

Also, the logger is about ready to start on my land, he is just finishing up next door. They will take all Ash over 12" and other hardwood over 18". Luckily, Ash does not have any sapwood.

All of my wood fits thru the square holes which makes it so much easier to load and unload.
That's not the problem, shoving them through and dragging them back out is, it just plain sucks.

These are just waaay better,

Resized-20200324-143201-9186-S.jpg

They are easy to build, easy to load and unload and they hold a half cord of splits.

SR

I’ve felled 21 trees since the loader has been down, that’ll give me plenty of logs to move around once it’s fixed. I want to take some to our buddy’s sawmill, just down the road.

900E967A-C6D9-4996-A96A-6B8DE8102A93.jpeg

That’s a 2 foot level, I was using it because I keep letting the bar tip droop. I hope doing this will help me get used to how I actually need to hold it, and will only be temporary.
0D79AF7E-61A4-4B24-BC92-A5348B55AE05.jpeg

Different tree, I did this because the outside couple inches is rotten. It doesn’t do any good to knock a wedge into rotten wood.
03860901-8CD8-45DA-8BA3-488A59D5ECA9.jpegF81A95D2-CDD3-4685-A744-132699BF2EC2.jpeg

Look how far the tree fell from the stump on this hill.
43C0C6F0-C876-4F46-8F37-E55FA6B3152A.jpeg

I’ve felled 21 trees since the loader has been down, that’ll give me plenty of logs to move around once it’s fixed. I want to take some to our buddy’s sawmill, just down the road.

View attachment 1200424

That’s a 2 foot level, I was using it because I keep letting the bar tip droop. I hope doing this will help me get used to how I actually need to hold it, and will only be temporary.
View attachment 1200425

Different tree, I did this because the outside couple inches is rotten. It doesn’t do any good to knock a wedge into rotten wood.
View attachment 1200426View attachment 1200427

Look how far the tree fell from the stump on this hill.
View attachment 1200428

I love the smell of crisp hinges in the morning....

I saw some of the flood videos on the news yesterday my wife said there was heavy rain at home I’m in southern Pa at the moment
A bunch of the homes next to the brook pictured in the Lyndonville, VT coverage were just taken by eminent domain. The state said there was no way to put septic systems in them that would not leak into the water system. With the amount the State will give them for the property vs the skyrocketing cost of housing up that way those people will be homeless and unable to afford something else.

College friend of mine lived there one summer. Her dad was a big deal in the Park Service and ran the park. She said it was pretty awesome.
Yea , it’s definitely the most remote and wild ,NP besides Denali ,AK and definitely go in off season, never in season, you’ll regret it ,

Can we move this one to the You Suck thread...No seriously, you live in a special place in this world. I've heard Glacier NPS can be hard on even the minimalist through hikers though.
Plenty of short hikes and day hikes available for all levels and ages. My Dad did Trail of Cedars and Sunrift Gorge Trail.

Refresh my memory. What Lk and Mtn is that? I recognize the Mtn but can't place it. I agree, GNP is my favorite of the ones I've been to. I hope to get back there one more time in my life, but I have been lucky to have been ther 6 or so times on the trails or with family. I hear the roads are getting really congested and they're thinking of making it a Red Bus roads only. That'll suck.

Refresh my memory. What Lk and Mtn is that? I recognize the Mtn but can't place it. I agree, GNP is my favorite of the ones I've been to. I hope to get back there one more time in my life, but I have been lucky to have been ther 6 or so times on the trails or with family. I hear the roads are getting really congested and they're thinking of making it a Red Bus roads only. That'll suck.
Hidden Lake, at Logan’s pass entry way .

College friend of mine lived there one summer. Her dad was a big deal in the Park Service and ran the park. She said it was pretty awesome.
I never knew about the student work program when I was in college, or else I would have been there. Ahh to be there when you're young and all the joints are working. I bet she had a blast.

Back