Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you just hate that.. getting free wood that's cut up in a wide variety of lengths. I would prefer cutting it up myself. I've got one more load of Mulberry a neighbor gave me that has to be 're-sized'. Lot of cut off nubbins to deal with.
Some of us just can't cut consistently even if it comes from a tree not cut up. My wood is anywhere from 10 to 20inches. I need more time with the saw and to step off or mark consistent lengths. :chainsaw:

My friend Harold wanted me to measure and mark rounds to cut up at the cabin. I asked him how long he wanted them, and he said 18". I proceeded to cut 4 rounds w/o measuring or marking.

The wise guy pulled out his tape measure, looked up at me and said "You son of a Bit**". I said what is the matter, he said they are all within 1/4"!!!

Don't ask me to repeat this feat, but I am often very close!

Always cut large rounds shorter than you think you should, and thin rounds a little longer and they will all be about the same length.

All of what you say is quite right. I struggled over the 338-06 and have an old Mauser I'm still thinking of converting to it. The reason I went 35 Whelen is it will do what I wanted, I've got the brass and I can load squib loads with cast 38/357 bullets I make myself.
35 Whelen, 338-06, 8mm-06 all good I think
I got a brand new in the box Ruger American Rifle on Gun Broker (through auction) for $405.- plus $35.- shipping.

It has a strong, smooth three lug bolt that will be a good deal stronger than the Mauser. Barrels are readily available for it, and it has a barrel nut (which will make installation a lot easier). In addition, the stock/recoil pad substantially reduce recoil, and I like rubber on the bottom (does not slip on hard surfaces and is quite).

You will likely save a good deal with the combined cost of the barrel and installation. (Replacement barrels for Ruger and Savage barrel nut rifles are generally more available and less expensive and much easier to install).

Also, since I formerly used lever action rifles, I like a tang safety. I just find them to be more convenient. I also like that is uses magazines as I purchased an extra and can just load it and take it with me for extra shots if ever needed.

Can't see any thru the thick layer of rust. The handle is very unique where it meets the side of the pan. After combing the internet for several hours i could only find that style on fotos of wapak.
Wapak bought molds for their first pans from others and just put them out there. Hang it for electrolysis. A plastic tote from Walmart and a trickle charger is all you need. I've done a couple of yard sale finds like this

Man, Northwoods in deer season. I haven't seen snow in 3 yrs. That picture makes me want to head north in November
Both those critters were harvested when he was up at my property in the NW Catskills (near Hancock).

Sometimes our trail cameras have registered 30 below up there!

It is best to have a lot of wood for the stove when that happens!

Oh my back! I go vertical when I got them that big.
Oh MY back! I don't bend over at all! I roll them right onto the splitters beam when I got them that big,

Resized-20230826-164626-S.jpg

SR

In addition, MechanicMatt came up with a shower unit, and I attached the gutter to a plastic 55-gallon drum and made an overfill that runs into our drainpipe. I also put a leaf guard on the gutters to keep the water free of leaves and other debris.

Next, we installed the fabric cover on the blind we got the bear out of last year.

I also found a small snakeskin shed (likely from a garter snake) when I moved a rock.

Attachments

• IMG_20240908_083638113_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240908_083638113_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
One of the fellas here told me to use the Fiskars more often, well that ash tree fell victim to it tonight. Got my cardio workout for sure. But it felt good, slowly but surely I’ll knock this “office chub” off. Gotta get back in shape if I want to be as active as pops and uncle Mustang when I’m their age

I was talking with my brother in-law on the drive up. He asked me how I used to get deer back to the cabin before we had ATV’s. I answered, my uncle, that guy was like a Terminator, he’d usually come over with a big smile on his face admiring my harvest, then whip out this harness thing. Hand me his rifle and just lean forward and drag. (One time he did accuse me of shooting HIS Buck, but he still dragged it)

If I had to do that, I’d need at least 50 breaks to catch my breath….

One of the fellas here told me to use the Fiskars more often, well that ash tree fell victim to it tonight. Got my cardio workout for sure. But it felt good, slowly but surely I’ll knock this “office chub” off. Gotta get back in shape if I want to be as active as pops and uncle Mustang when I’m their age

I was talking with my brother in-law on the drive up. He asked me how I used to get deer back to the cabin before we had ATV’s. I answered, my uncle, that guy was like a Terminator, he’d usually come over with a big smile on his face admiring my harvest, then whip out this harness thing. Hand me his rifle and just lean forward and drag. (One time he did accuse me of shooting HIS Buck, but he still dragged it)

If I had to do that, I’d need at least 50 breaks to catch my breath….
I didn't think anyone would take me literally :).

Oh MY back! I don't bend over at all! I roll them right onto the splitters beam when I got them that big,

Resized-20230826-164626-S.jpg

SR
Yeah, you've got a nice set up there. I almost had a farm wagon like that, but then I'd hurt my back lifting the rounds onto it (No tractor etc).

Latest posts

Back