Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is why I snag old free pressure washers and the like. I have 4 that were free, 3 with bad pumps but good running old school Briggs engines. When ever the old 8hp on my splitter decides its time is up, if it does since I have never lost an old flattie, I got a nice selection to choose from.
What will you do about the tapered shaft on the washers to go to the straight shaft you will need for your splitter??

SR

What will you do about the tapered shaft on the washers to go to the straight shaft you will need for your splitter??

SR
I am good friends with a machine shop that I use at work, they come in handy for my leggo style builds.

Edit: Also the one that I have that I would use for this is a horizontal shaft and it is not tapered.

Edit: Also the one that I have that I would use for this is a horizontal shaft and it is not tapered.
That's cool, how are they connected? I have two washers; both have tapered shafts and all the ones I've seen that are factory are tapered too.

I also have a tapered shaft engine; I made my own adapter.

SR

I hope your guys at work or anyone else that rags on Hobo Freight does not shop anywhere else like northern, TSC, etc for anything. Equipment and tools are a foreign wonderland and it is next to impossible to avoid, China, India, Taiwan, Mexico etc if you buy new.

That is why I snag old free pressure washers and the like. I have 4 that were free, 3 with bad pumps but good running old school Briggs engines. When ever the old 8hp on my splitter decides its time is up, if it does since I have never lost an old flattie, I got a nice selection to choose from.
95 percent of my tools are made in the USA or Europe, except the cordless power tools which are Milwaukee.

Around here it's $50-100 for a pressure washer or snowblower that doesn't run. People don't give anything away here. Even if I could find one I have enough old crap laying around and I don't need to add to the pile. I threw the old 8 hp flattie Briggs off my splitter right in the scrap. Needed a carb and points. Wasn't gonna screw with it. Don't have the time for that now. Time with my family is far more important than saving a couple hundred bucks.

I have had a HF generator (7,000 - 8,750 watt) with a Predator motor for over 10 years now and it has been rock solid (other than I replaced the wheels because I was using it for construction projects up at the cabin).

The motor has been flawless, even if left outside (but covered) for long periods of time. (I cover it with a grill cover). I try to make sure I run it at least once a year even if I don't have to use it.

It is also powerful enough to run my house during a blackout, and my well pump is 850 feet down.

Most everything is either made in China or made from Chinese parts anyway, and I don't think I could have gotten as much bang for my buck anyplace else. I believe, at the time, I only paid $450 for it when it was on sale. I don't like junk, but I don't regret getting quality at a good price.

It is similar to the argument regarding AM saw parts. If not for AM parts (that you can afford), most of my saws would have wound up in the junk pile.

I prefer OEM cylinders, but many of my saws have AM tank holders, pistons (usually Meteor) or cases. Using good quality oil at a good ratio (I use Saber at 40:1) seems to keep the AM bearings healthy, as most of my milling has been done with AM 660 saws (some with Cross cylinders).

AM carbs have been hit or miss, but AM coils have generally worked very well for me. I've had better luck with the AM 660 carbs than with the 440 or 460 carbs and have sometimes replaced OEM 660 carbs with AM ones (for tree pros) because it was easier than rebuilding them, and they work just as well.

My 8.6 Hp 660 is an Asian saw with a ported Cross cylinder and Meteor piston.

95 percent of my tools are made in the USA or Europe, except the cordless power tools which are Milwaukee.

Around here it's $50-100 for a pressure washer or snowblower that doesn't run. People don't give anything away here. Even if I could find one I have enough old crap laying around and I don't need to add to the pile. I threw the old 8 hp flattie Briggs off my splitter right in the scrap. Needed a carb and points. Wasn't gonna screw with it. Don't have the time for that now. Time with my family is far more important than saving a couple hundred bucks.
I buy old USA stuff at estate sales or hang on dearly to stuff that I inherited. I will always avoid Chinesium if I can afford to or find a better alternative.

I fix stuff often because I have more time than spare money, and I would have been doing jack all otherwise as working on this junk is more of a hobby than anything so if it does not get done immediately that is ok. We do have a little one coming in 3 months so that is about to change (for the better).

Kids change everything. I wish I was more dollar and time wise before them, I'd be a lot better off. Now I'd rather spend my money then blow time for no real reason. I can make more money, can't make more time. Old junk is a time sap. Don't get me wrong, I like tinkering amd fixing things but it's taken a big back seat in the past coupple years. I'd rather be screwing around with the kids. Fortunately they are into the same kinda stuff I am so it's a but easier to justify some of my "projects". Like the China junk 4 wheeler from my wife's step dad. Bit of time and money and it works, and the kids love it. (And as a bonus, I don't walk to get the mail anymore. 🤫)

Kids change everything. I wish I was more dollar and time wise before them, I'd be a lot better off. Now I'd rather spend my money then blow time for no real reason. I can make more money, can't make more time. Old junk is a time sap. Don't get me wrong, I like tinkering amd fixing things but it's taken a big back seat in the past coupple years. I'd rather be screwing around with the kids. Fortunately they are into the same kinda stuff I am so it's a but easier to justify some of my "projects". Like the China junk 4 wheeler from my wife's step dad. Bit of time and money and it works, and the kids love it. (And as a bonus, I don't walk to get the mail anymore. 🤫)
Yea if we waited until "we were ready" then we would die alone lol. We were also given less than a 5% chance of becoming parents, 2 years later and surprise here we are! I hope my kid(s) are into my hobbies/interests, I know when I was a little tike anything my dad was doing was for me too. He always involved me and let me help when it was safe to do so, even at the expense of what ever he was working on timewise.

We are right in the middle of renovating a 150 year old house too, it will probably get interesting at times, but we will figure it out. I always think that we have it much easier than even 2 generations earlier, my grandparents did not have electricity until the late 40s-early 50s. My grandpa said they used to wake up in the winter and snow would have blown in around the windows and be dusted on top of the 7-8 layers of blankets they were sleeping under.

If they survived that then we can certainly make it.

Most are belt drive or have a couppler. Industrial pressure washers are still made like that. Most the under 3k psi units arnt anymore.
My "good" ? one is a John Deere and it's on a tapered shaft, second one is probably china and its tapered shaft too.

I wish the JD was a coupler attachment, but it doesn't owe me anything anymore as I've had it a long time.

SR

My grandpa said they used to wake up in the winter and snow would have blown in around the windows and be dusted on top of the 7-8 layers of blankets they were sleeping under.
My Dad used to talk about taking bricks off the potbellied coal stove to put along the side of your bed so you would stay warm long enough to go to sleep! (And that was in Queens, NYC).

My Aunt on the Farm (upstate NY) had 7 kids, and I was alive before they moved to a farmhouse with indoor plumbing! Hard to imagine 7 kids and an outhouse on a farm near the Finger Lakes where is gets VERY cold! As if running a dairy farm was not tough enough!

I hope your guys at work or anyone else that rags on Hobo Freight does not shop anywhere else like northern, TSC, etc for anything. Equipment and tools are a foreign wonderland and it is next to impossible to avoid, China, India, Taiwan, Mexico etc if you buy new.

My last one, was BULLET PROOF!!

This one was such a disappointment

Such a letdown

I know, right? Up front 16.67 and let the firewood sales pay it off! 🤣. How many ricks is that? Are we talking full ricks or a facerick?
That's one way to pay for it lol.
I was also impressed it was actually made in the good ole us of a, don't see that very often these days.

In your boat motor video I was thinking you should have been bagging up that 2-stroke smoke to resell, maybe you can offer a payment plan too 💵.

View attachment 1204359
They make an adapter from tapered to straight.... In the U S of A.
Price is in Canuck bucks
Yeiks! That's expensive.
I know, right? Up front 16.67 and let the firewood sales pay it off! 🤣. How many ricks is that? Are we talking full ricks or a facerick?
Still trying to convert a Rick to a cord.... but I'd guess selling one should about cover it.

I get so confused. I thought a rick was a face cord (1/3 of a real cord). If that's correct what would a facerick be?

Back