Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Oak Veneer should be quite valuable! Capital gains rates are generally lower than normal tax rates (unless you get pushed into a higher bracket) and may even be -0- of your income is low (in the 15% bracket). Selling it on the installment basis may lower your year-to-year tax liability.

Or you could just let them harvest a little each year. You may also have some costs deductible as a cost basis (property taxes not deducted, travel expense, etc.).

I'm sure the value of your White Oak is much greater than the value of my (dying) Ash! They took everything over 12" diameter.

Square filing glitch!

I square filed the chains on two saws I brought up to the cabin. I thought I did them both exactly the same. My little ported 261 cut like a light saber, my more powerful ported 462 seemed to struggle to cut. If you dogged it in, it cut just fine, but it was not self-feeding and did not feel nearly as nice as the 261.

I checked the raker depth and trust me, there was no problem there.

After careful examination, I decided to try something. I re-filed the chain making sure the tilt the file was 45*. Walla! The 462 now cuts like a light saber also!

Mind you, the difference between what I did initially and what I did to correct the problem was VERY MINOR, but the difference is performance was GREAT! The side plate still had some angle to it (before I refiled), just not quite as much, but the additional bit of angle made a big difference in how it self-feeds.

So, if anyone square files their chain and has lackluster performance for no apparent reason, check to make sure this is not the problem.

IMO, nothing feels better (when cutting) than a sharp self-feeding chain! You just touch branches, and they fall off as if you were using a light saber!

Square filing glitch!

I square filed the chains on two saws I brought up to the cabin. I thought I did them both exactly the same. My little ported 261 cut like a light saber, my more powerful ported 462 seemed to struggle to cut. If you dogged it in, it cut just fine, but it was not self-feeding and did not feel nearly as nice as the 261.

After careful examination, I decided to try something. I re-filed the chain making sure the tilt the file was 45*. Walla! The 462 now cuts like a light saber also!

Mind you, the difference between what I did initially and what I did to correct the problem was VERY MINOR, but the difference is performance was GREAT! The side plate still had some angle to it (before I refiled), just not quite as much, but the additional bit of angle made a big difference in how it self-feeds.

So, if anyone square files their chain and has lackluster performance for no apparent reason, check to make sure this is not the problem.

IMO, nothing feels better (when cutting) than a sharp self-feeding chain! You just touch branches, and they fall off as if you were using a light saber!
Little adjustments make a good difference, Have you tried the RS PRO chain yet ,?

Amen to both of those comments.

Plus the fact that many hunters do not take care to cool their game quickly, store it properly if aging, and/or remove all fat and silverskin before cooking.

When people tell me XYZ wild game "tastes like ****" I tell them, "well you haven't let me cook it for you"
Seriously!! I’ve cooked venison where people thought it was filet mignon

Had one of the shottiest days at work in a long time

Got crap news from the Dr visit this morning, went into work and just dealt with BS after BS after BS

Day ended with me telling the used car manager, “one day I’m just gonna say fook his job and knock your teeth out so you learn to talk properly to people”. My boss was standing next to him. He actually didn’t discipline me, told the guy “Matt’s had a shotty day and you need to change your tone”

Then at dinner….

Actually had a nice refreshing conversation with the usda guy about governments being asinine and not knowing anything

Told me in 5 years the Ash tree will be nothing more than a memory

Great conversation about bow hunting

Our two wives were talking kid stuff 😉

It’s amazing, after a **** day at work, God puts a guy you can connect with at different levels in your path to help you “reset” so your weekend isn’t ruined

Got crap news from the Dr visit this morning, went into work and just dealt with BS after BS after BS

Day ended with me telling the used car manager, “one day I’m just gonna say fook his job and knock your teeth out so you learn to talk properly to people”. My boss was standing next to him. He actually didn’t discipline me, told the guy “Matt’s had a shotty day and you need to change your tone”

Then at dinner….

Actually had a nice refreshing conversation with the DSDA guy about governments being asinine and not knowing anything

It’s amazing, after a **** day at work, God puts a guy you can connect with at different levels in your path to help you “reset” so your weekend isn’t ruined
Bummer about your day, good thing for the weekend :happy:.
Ash trees are everywhere up here, not sure if the EAB will continue to terrorize them or what, but they are very plentiful again :).

Square filing glitch!

Awesome you figured it out.
Cant wait to get the shop finished and my grinders set up.
I've had the corner slightly high before, acted just as you described. Two of my favorite things about square, how nicely it feeds, how smooth it is; if I had to add a third, it would be how much nicer it is to clean out the corner when falling.

Square filing glitch!

Love that little 261

You know, that 261, 036, 044 and the not “black” hybrid is all you need

Love that little 261

You know, that 261, 036, 044 and the not “black” hybrid is all you need
You're forgetting about my milling ... need my 660s for that!

I do have a nice collection of good running saws!

Years of collecting saws and parts, and contacts with some good builders really helps!

I also got several saws by fixing other saws. One tree guy brought me 8 dead saws in one day. I fixed and modified 4 of them and asked if he wanted to pay me for parts and labor or just give me the other saws and the others were mine. Fixed and sold three and kept a beat up 066 that came back to life nicely! Was a lot of work, but I made some money and ended up with a free saw.

But I'm the only one who has touched the 044, it was my first Stihl saw and I bought it new in 92. I've also done the work on some of my 066/660s but 3 other builders have also done work on some of my 066/660s, and I have a 661 built by another builder.

Then at dinner….

Actually had a nice refreshing conversation with the usda guy about governments being asinine and not knowing anything

I hear ya brother, that’s what the weekends are for , get ya some 👍

You're forgetting about my milling ... need my 660s for that!

I do have a nice collection of good running saws!

Years of collecting saws and parts, and contacts with some good builders really helps!

I also got several saws by fixing other saws. One tree guy brought me 8 dead saws in one day. I fixed and modified 4 of them and asked if he wanted to pay me for parts and labor or just give me the other saws and the others were mine. Fixed and sold three and kept a beat up 066 that came back to life nicely! Was a lot of work, but I made some money and ended up with a free saw.

But I'm the only one who has touched the 044, it was my first Stihl saw and I bought it new in 92. I've also done the work on some of my 066/660s but 3 other builders have also done work on some of my 066/660s, and I have a 661 built by another builder.
Yea Mike, got some newly ported saws need some break in time, just need to find the time now to do it , looking forward to cooler temps,

Bummer about your day, good thing for the weekend :happy:.
Ash trees are everywhere up here, not sure if the EAB will continue to terrorize them or what, but they are very plentiful again :).
Hopefully they thrive and grow, unfortunately my area the Ash trees 🌳 are decimated, 🤬

Found it.
Looked them up and found a video. There's a link for a 12 pack. They look pretty good, but it seems that the biggest problem guys are having is they dont last very long.

here's the brand I was looking at
Limited-time deal: 10-Pack 8ft LED Shop Light Fixture - 90W T8 Integrated LED Tube Light - 6500K 12000LM V-Shape Linkable - High Output - Clear Cover - Plug and Play - 270 Degree Lighting for Garage, Shop, Barn https://a.co/d/j2ujbwE

I'll look for that other brand. Thanks.

Then at dinner….

At least you had a positive ending for your day where you could relax a bit. Today so many people in Society just plain s-ck. Your used car manager needs to go.

Back