Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's something I've never done, but the rest of the family has. We have a friend who normally does thousands a yr at his place. Unfortunately he has been waiting on hip surgery for like 7 months because it was infected, and to ad insult to injury(literally), their home just caught fire. I guess they were in the barn butcher a small batch of chickens, the power went out, he walked out to see what the problem was and saw the fire trucks they had heard were in their driveway :oops:. Quite a ways out before it's finished, and he's scheduled for his surgery early this month. Oh yeah, he just retired last fall.
Man, that's a rough year. I hope things turn around for him and his retirement gets more enjoyable.

My mother in law had a tough time with her hip replacement and had to have one redone. She was just about done with rehab and an infection settled into it so they replaced it.

Anatomy of a failure: My first hung ring!

This saw started out as an OEM 066 round top that I brought back from the dead. It ran good, but the OEM P&C were slightly scored, even though the rings were free.

So, when the Cross Cylinders with Randy's influence came out, I got one and installed it. The saw ran very well and is the one on the HL Supply website video promoting the Cross P&C. It ran well for several years and was one of two 066/660s I used as a "tag team" for milling (both set up with 36" light bars with full comp square file). (The other saw is the Asian 660 Doc Al built for the competition).

Last fall, in the middle of milling a White Oak board, it abruptly stopped. I tried to re-start it, but it obviously did not have much compression, so I just replaced it with another 660.

Well, today I decided to rip it down to see what happened. I'm always VERY careful to make sure exhaust ports are properly beveled, even if I did not touch them, but I guess I did not pay enough attention to the upper transfers.

I have spare Meteor pistons in my inventory, and an OEM 066 and an OEM 660 cylinder too. But I may just clean this one up and re-use it. I know the squish is .020 w/o a base gasket, it ran strong, and the transfer ports look great! (I don't have an angle grinder). The minor damage to the squish band would be easy to repair, and if I play with the exhaust and intake ports a bit if should run very strong!

I'm going to pull out the other two cylinders and decide if I want to make it OEM again! Enjoy the pics of my FIRST hung ring failure!

Attachments

• IMG_20241001_150617521_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241001_150617521_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_20241001_150626936_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241001_150626936_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_20241001_150644416_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241001_150644416_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB
  • IMG_20241001_150703146_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241001_150703146_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB
I've got a crapton of stuff in the basement, before any of it goes into the barn, the barn needs to be way more finished and I have to go thru everything. I have so much that was bought to resell, I just need to get the barn finished so I have the time to unload it all. Before I built the barn I sold a bunch of saws, that helped, but there's still a good number of them down there.
I do know within 8' of where I want my door to the main bay, so I have that going for me :laugh: .
Is your loft going to be in the whole thing like an attic, or just one side. I plan on having a shelf around much of mine, it needs to be high enough to walk/work under so I can have benches and storage underneath, but low enough that I can put a pallet up there with the tractor.
I have a cheaper Craftsman compressor, but it's fairly tall, I will enclose it, as I don't want to listen to it either. It should be enough for my needs, I'm more concerned about its longevity. Hopefully it actually works, I did get a good deal on it though lol.
One of my most used garage tools , IMG_3809.jpeg

Only about 60% sure where I want the door between the shop and side room right now, let alone recept boxes or anything else.
Put in more outlets than you think you need. Box, receptacle, wire nuts, and cover are cheap - still only cost about $3. My dad (who was a commercial electrician) even laughed at me because in my last garage shop, I had over 20 boxes. And it was only a 20'x20' garage. But I could stand anywhere near a wall and reach at least two outlets. If tools are plugged in or something is mounted in front of an outlet you still have options. Use 12 ga wire and have one or more 20 amp circuits. Use a GFCI at the beginning of every circuit. Take photos of each wall before you cover it for future reference on wiring. And don't use the push in wire feature on the back of the receptacle, use a pigtail attached to the screws.

I've got a crapton of stuff in the basement, before any of it goes into the barn, the barn needs to be way more finished and I have to go thru everything. I have so much that was bought to resell, I just need to get the barn finished so I have the time to unload it all. Before I built the barn I sold a bunch of saws, that helped, but there's still a good number of them down there.
I do know within 8' of where I want my door to the main bay, so I have that going for me :laugh: .
Is your loft going to be in the whole thing like an attic, or just one side. I plan on having a shelf around much of mine, it needs to be high enough to walk/work under so I can have benches and storage underneath, but low enough that I can put a pallet up there with the tractor.
I have a cheaper Craftsman compressor, but it's fairly tall, I will enclose it, as I don't want to listen to it either. It should be enough for my needs, I'm more concerned about its longevity. Hopefully it actually works, I did get a good deal on it though lol.
Loft on the man door side, right now I think 8'wide x16' long. I have a triple stack palette rack in the basement too. 4' wide x 12' long. Thought with that, is to use it as an actual rack vs a junk storage shelf. We'll see. My wife thinks it's staying in the basement lol. I will be putting a shelf up across the front of the shop at the header of the main door. Gonna store my antique saws and nick nack collection up there.
I've thought about separating the compressors from the tanks and mounting the tanks up on the one back wall, motors and compressors mounted out in the wood shed section. May still happen. I'm just too undecided to commit, other then they arnt staying in the shop permanently.
Great saw.
Yes, made by makita, well sort of; like huskys are made by Electrolux.
View attachment 1208416
Shame they are being phased out. I've often thought about picking one of their smaller 30-40cc saws up, but I'd have the same lack of parts issue like I have with my older zenoah/red max saws. Such a shame.
Put in more outlets than you think you need. Box, receptacle, wire nuts, and cover are cheap - still only cost about $3. My dad (who was a commercial electrician) even laughed at me because in my last garage shop, I had over 20 boxes. And it was only a 20'x20' garage. But I could stand anywhere near a wall and reach at least two outlets. If tools are plugged in or something is mounted in front of an outlet you still have options. Use 12 ga wire and have one or more 20 amp circuits. Use a GFCI at the beginning of every circuit. Take photos of each wall before you cover it for future reference on wiring. And don't use the push in wire feature on the back of the receptacle, use a pigtail attached to the screws.
I hear that. I already have 8 recept full most of the time. Part of the issue is I'm not committing to where anything is getting placed. I've moved my tool box around to several spots to see if I like it, but I still don't have my welding bench out there yet either, which will take up a decent amount of space against a wall. Still trying to be mindful of where the lift posts will eventually be going and how much room my crew cab will hog up. Should have made the shop bigger.... first world problems lol. I can say, I'm already planning on 4-6 220v outlets for the welder and plasma cutter. Wherever one of those ends up I'm gonna put a air bib too. Oh, all the reception will be surface mount in the shop, so I can kinda get everything sorta placed then run conduit. It's a bit more expensive upfront, but if I ever need to change or add on it won't be too difficult.

I highly recommend these

https://store.leviton.com/products/...e-15-amp-tamper-resistant-duplex-outlet-white

Loft on the man door side, right now I think 8'wide x16' long. I have a triple stack palette rack in the basement too. 4' wide x 12' long. Thought with that, is to use it as an actual rack vs a junk storage shelf. We'll see. My wife thinks it's staying in the basement lol. I will be putting a shelf up across the front of the shop at the header of the main door. Gonna store my antique saws and nick nack collection up there.
I've thought about separating the compressors from the tanks and mounting the tanks up on the one back wall, motors and compressors mounted out in the wood shed section. May still happen. I'm just too undecided to commit, other then they arnt staying in the shop permanently.

Shame they are being phased out. I've often thought about picking one of their smaller 30-40cc saws up, but I'd have the same lack of parts issue like I have with my older zenoah/red max saws. Such a shame.

I hear that. I already have 8 recept full most of the time. Part of the issue is I'm not committing to where anything is getting placed. I've moved my tool box around to several spots to see if I like it, but I still don't have my welding bench out there yet either, which will take up a decent amount of space against a wall. Still trying to be mindful of where the lift posts will eventually be going and how much room my crew cab will hog up. Should have made the shop bigger.... first world problems lol. I can say, I'm already planning on 4-6 220v outlets for the welder and plasma cutter. Wherever one of those ends up I'm gonna put a air bib too. Oh, all the reception will be surface mount in the shop, so I can kinda get everything sorta placed then run conduit. It's a bit more expensive upfront, but if I ever need to change or add on it won't be too difficult.
I don't know how you're planning on running your compressed air lines but I have a recommendation. I used RapidAir nylon pipe and push lock fittings. I was hesitant at first but 10 years later it's holding up well. I have drops every 8 ft around the shop and at the bay door and the walk door. Easy to put up and easy to change if you don't like something.

Your shop's looking good. Have fun with it!

Back