Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had to put a B+C on it and run it today! The bar was only 24", never ran it with one that short before ... she feels very strong (both crosscut and ripping).

Last year my tree guy gave me some logs for milling ... said there was just some surface metal I could remove!!! The small red oak is 36" and over 8' long, the bigger one is just over 7' long.

Today, the 066 did some partial crosscuts and then ripping so I could wedge the pieces up to get a look at the wiring! I thought there was steel in there with it, but I guess it was just a weathered copper ground wire.

What do you guys think, will my chain survive milling through copper? Or should I just keep going till I remove it?

Climbing up and down logs and hitting the wedges with a 16lb hammer is not as easy as it used to be, but I got it done!
Id mill threw it. Copper is pretty soft, may dull the chain a bit though.

Well, I wasn't allowed to take any pictures, but we started on my buddies logging truck last night. Bunks are off, trucks all blocked up level, suspension is more or less free from the cross member we're replacing. Started taking the cross member bolts out and ended up breaking the 3/4" to 1/2" adapter. Decided we were in a good place anyway. He's gonna get a 3/4" drive 1 1/8" and 15/16" sockets today.
Since it's by sons birthday tomorrow (a whopping 6 years old!) This weekend is going to be pretty full preparing for his birthday, plus it's the first weekend of archery so we won't get much work done on the truck till Monday. All good, and more or less part of the plan.

pffffffffff why go to all of that trouble when you can do this!! Twist and tape baby!

In case you're actually wondering yes this is in my house and yes it is live, no I did not do it. So dude named Albert probably did it in the 50s while smoking an unfiltered Camel. I am currently getting all outlets on it rewired, hopefully will be able to turn it off tonight.

View attachment 1208581
When I renovated the bathroom on our new old house, actually tore it off and put on a new one I got into the space above the small room next to it to run new line upstairs. Sitting on a rafter was a giant ball of electrical tape about the size of a softball and 6 or 7 wires going in and coming out. Not ideal.

More power to you Jim ... especially at our age!

I never did climb, was afraid of heights.
At 71 I didn't know if I could still do it. I never climbed for a living. It all started when I was around 50 and needed to drop trees in front of the farm house. I guess that I have been lucky by not having a fear of heights. I used to climb a tree at my childhood home when I was around 10 years old. I would go all the way up to the top and sit up there for a long time. My mother would come out and yell at me to come down from up there.

At 71 I didn't know if I could still do it. I never climbed for a living. It all started when I was around 50 and needed to drop trees in front of the farm house. I guess that I have been lucky by not having a fear of heights. I used to climb a tree at my childhood home when I was around 10 years old. I would go all the way up to the top and sit up there for a long time. My mother would come out and yell at me to come down from up there.
Haha, that was me too when I was young. Power Co. came and trimmed neighbors tree in the front yard running along the power lines. My Mom found me sitting on the uppermost branch stumps only feet from the power lines. A storm was coming and the tree was swaying. Man did I get a whooping.

Id mill threw it. Copper is pretty soft, may dull the chain a bit though.
I hate sharpening the 36" chains any more than I have to, so I will try to continue with my "dental surgery" to remove the offending wire.

It if gets too difficult, I'll just mill through it. A lot of boards in that Oak log!

Nice air runs
For air, II rn Schedule 40 Pvc water pipe and fittings change to NPT at the ends. I put a T and a drop enging in a ball valve below each chuck, to catch water and drain it. If you have a nice drier ahead, you don't need that in theory.

For air, II rn Schedule 40 Pvc water pipe and fittings change to NPT at the ends. I put a T and a drop enging in a ball valve below each chuck, to catch water and drain it. If you have a nice drier ahead, you don't need that in theory.
I personally wouldn’t use pvc for compressed air . The pipe manufacturers don’t recommend it and here it’s a code violation .

Nice catch, James! Here's a couple good size Browns from today's trip. It was 26° this morning, nice and sunny.
View attachment 1208800View attachment 1208799View attachment 1208798
View attachment 1208805

Could really go for those right now fried up in the cast iron skillet on the camp stove! We’re without power or running water since 27 September with earliest possible availability 07 October. It’s bad but not as horrible as our neighbors just to the north of us in WNC☹️. Praying for everyone.

Not a good idea. PVC is too brittle, and compressed air works like a spring. I had an "I told you so" moment at work. We had PVC installed for water at one of my buildings, and it got converted to air. I said it was a bad idea, argued and argued, finally gave up. When it finally let go, nobody was in the building, but one of the shards busted a window in a truck. The guys I argued with cleaned up the mess, but never did admit that I was right.

Added Edit: I would be interested in how PEX would do as airline. I suspect it would be excellent, flexible, as far as I know it doesn't break, and I believe it is oil resistant. I only use copper fittings, I'm not impressed with compression fittings. I could see it being a good alternative.

I'm glad I followed my instincts! I had some success this morning!

Large brown insulator with a steel screw, and luckily, not as deep as I thought! I can still mill the full 8' for mor than 1/2 the log!

That definitely would have ruined a milling chain!

Attachments

• IMG_20241004_104859110_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241004_104859110_HDR.jpg
    6.2 MB
  • IMG_20241004_104917856_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241004_104917856_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB
  • IMG_20241004_105658411_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241004_105658411_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB
  • IMG_20241004_110645803_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241004_110645803_HDR.jpg
    6.4 MB
Had one of the shottiest days at work in a long time

Got crap news from the Dr visit this morning, went into work and just dealt with BS after BS after BS

Day ended with me telling the used car manager, “one day I’m just gonna say fook his job and knock your teeth out so you learn to talk properly to people”. My boss was standing next to him. He actually didn’t discipline me, told the guy “Matt’s had a shotty day and you need to change your tone”

Then at dinner….

Actually had a nice refreshing conversation with the usda guy about governments being asinine and not knowing anything

Told me in 5 years the Ash tree will be nothing more than a memory

Great conversation about bow hunting

Our two wives were talking kid stuff 😉

It’s amazing, after a **** day at work, God puts a guy you can connect with at different levels in your path to help you “reset” so your weekend isn’t ruined
Hope everything is OK my friend.

A-holz like that need a good attitude adjustment! Glad your boss stood up for you!

Back