Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is "overland" just a fancy name for hipster car camping? Why is the tent on the roof of the truck? Lions, rhinos, snakes?
When my great uncles headed west to North Dakota to homestead, they told me they would circle the model T with a sisal/hemp rope to keep the snakes away while they slept under the car. Guess Ben an Elmer were hip back in da day. :innocent:

When my great uncles headed west to North Dakota to homestead, they told me they would circle the model T with a sisal/hemp rope to keep the snakes away while they slept under the car. Guess Ben an Elmer were hip back in da day.
Didn't they know they were supposed to camp up on the roof? Overlanding rookies, Ben and Elmer.

Well, a good scrounge today from our favorite Chinese food joint. We went for lunch, hadn't been there for a few months. We saw a tree service taking down a good size tree. When we went in there was a sign saying free maple from the Chinese restaurant. We ask the waitress about it, who then has a cow about the question. We had good food and I head out to ask the tree company about it. They said we could take all we wanted so I went home and got the Sierra. When we got back an started loading we found out this was a small husband wife operation. She tells us that they do not sell firewood because good help is hard to find and after paying them for labor there was a small profit, so they stopped selling. Once she found out we had an OWB she asked if we would take pine, of course I said yes and she even offered to cut it 20" long and free delivery. I was going to buy a load of log length to play with this spring but no I'll wait and see how this goes. I got a full bed of cut up maple and I will go back tomorrow for the big rounds and cut up the larger part left of the tree if it's still there.
sierra firewood.jpg

Well, a good scrounge today from our favorite Chinese food joint. We went for lunch, hadn't been there for a few months. We saw a tree service taking down a good size tree. When we went in there was a sign saying free maple from the Chinese restaurant. We ask the waitress about it, who then has a cow about the question. We had good food and I head out to ask the tree company about it. They said we could take all we wanted so I went home and got the Sierra. When we got back an started loading we found out this was a small husband wife operation. She tells us that they do not sell firewood because good help is hard to find and after paying them for labor there was a small profit, so they stopped selling. Once she found out we had an OWB she asked if we would take pine, of course I said yes and she even offered to cut it 20" long and free delivery. I was going to buy a load of log length to play with this spring but no I'll wait and see how this goes. I got a full bed of cut up maple and I will go back tomorrow for the big rounds and cut up the larger part left of the tree if it's still there.
View attachment 1209048
Big to go box! :surprised3:

View attachment 1209048

I like seeing a newer truck being used as a truck

Latest posts

Back