Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll take any form of progress lol. Heck you're further ahead then me, I'm not even to the point where I know where a shelf can go!
That's a fact! If anything gets done it's better than nothing. LOL

The attached garage is further along than my barn to be sure. I was supposed to have $50k in equity for barn building from selling the old house when we bought this place. But... then the great recession hit. The day we listed the old house was the day the stock market crashed. And then for good measure it crashed again the next day. So we ended up with two houses for almost three years (not what it's cracked up to be). Finally sold it at basically a break even price. So now the 38x80 barn structure is built, but I'm still living with a dirt floor and no electric service. Like I think you've said before, first world problems, right?

They attack Maple? Dang! I don't have any ash here, but quite a bit of Big Leaf Maple on my property.

On a different note, I'm glad I got firewood done for this winter on Thursday. I got a call while I was at a birthday party for my granddaughter requesting that I go to North Carolina with a PNW Incident Management Team to assist with Hurricane Relief. I fly out tomorrow night or Monday.
Safe travels and as a guy with family down there, THANK YOU

If anything gets done it's better than nothing
Darn. It didn't take long to fill those shelves. Many of the jugs were purchased on clearance or other sales prices, so I try to stock up. Maybe I need to continue the shelving over the man door. 🤔 20241006_135221.jpg

Darn. It didn't take long to fill those shelves. Many of the jugs were purchased on clearance or other sales prices, so I try to stock up. Maybe I need to continue the shelving over the man door. 🤔 View attachment 1209612
Good Heavens! How much bar oil do you have! You've got BOAD (Bar Oil Acquisition Disease). Or LAD (Lube Acquisition Disease).

Good Heavens! How much bar oil do you have! You've got BOAD (Bar Oil Acquisition Disease). Or LAD (Lube Acquisition Disease).
LOL! Only 26 gallons (plus a partial in my chainsaw box). When it is on sale for $4.49, you buy more than you need in the immediate future. Same with synthetic oil for diesel engines and synthetic oil for gas engines. Oh, and washer fluid. I probably paid full price (ugh!) for a few of the bottles there.

The worms in my Maple look like this and they match the EAB photos on the internet. There were also a few pink ones like this that run fast. I believe the first picture with all the holes was done by a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker.

Attachments

• 20241006_114622.jpg
    20241006_114622.jpg
    3.1 MB
  • 20241006_145937.jpg
    20241006_145937.jpg
    2.1 MB
  • 20241006_150147.jpg
    20241006_150147.jpg
    1.2 MB
I split up quite a few of my big rounds this afternoon to get them down to manageable size to split on my SuperSplit. I was able to roll these monsters up on my 3pth splitter. I have 7 pieces left to go on Tuesday.

Attachments

• 1000001689.mp4
    16.4 MB
  • 20241006_161422.jpg
    20241006_161422.jpg
    4.1 MB
  • 20241006_161429.jpg
    20241006_161429.jpg
    5.7 MB
More tests scheduled, gonna have to start some changes in how I eat and pray they can figure out what’s going on with my right kidney

But, I’m a tuff little bastard, not gonna let it get me down
Hang in there my friend. You'll be 100 percent soon.

Blade tip speed is a real thing. Have a look. It's a good thing to know.
I'm very familiar with it... not only from outdoor power equipment but also from other tools (e.g., circular saws, grinders, etc.). In the context of the book's comment, the notion of having a sonic boom under a rotary mower deck is intriguing... as is having one in my Snapper SG8000 chipper/shredder. 😉 That said, I put a tach on the Snapper yesterday to see how close my ear was when I set the throttle the day before. I found I was about 200 RPMs too fast... but it did chip better! At 3,600 it seems anemic in comparison. 😉

Had a productive day up at the cabin. Weather was great, mid 40s in the morning and a bit over 70 in the afternoon.

Harold worked on the carpentry while I unloaded and stacked 42 - 80lb bags on Concrete on a pallet, then covered it with a tarp. I'm pleased my body is not hurting much at all after playing with the concrete for two days in a row.

I also sanded and re-stained a Red Oak bench that we keep outside, it was in need.

We saw 4 grouse all together in the dirt road on the way up the mountain ... they did not even fly, just walked away! It is the most I've seen together in several years ... hope it means they are coming back! The season is actually open, but I didn't even bring my gun!

I also let Harold run my recently revived 066 in the woodpile. That saw is running very strong, and Harold was Ga Ga over it, I could not get him to put it down! He says he wants one even though he has little use for one. I told him anytime he needs it for anything to just let me know.

The logger left us with an "improved" view, but I plan on making further improvements. I think the view will improve a lot with a few more trees removed.

Attachments

• Testing066-10-06-2024.jpg
    Testing066-10-06-2024.jpg
    66.5 KB
  • IMG_20241006_094320311_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241006_094320311_HDR.jpg
    7.2 MB
I had a great weekend up north with my wife celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary. The grandparents were kind enough to watch the kids for us. I went grouse hunting while she slept in. We went for a 60 mile ride on the UTV. Thankfully we made it back because the belt started slipping when taking off. Just one more thing to fix!

It was cool enough that we had a fire both mornings in the woodstove. Warmed the place up from 64 to 74 which my wife likes. Felt good to watch the fire while sipping some coffee. 20241006_085057.jpg
Hope everyone has a great week!

I had a great weekend up north with my wife celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary. The grandparents were kind enough to watch the kids for us. I went grouse hunting while she slept in. We went for a 60 mile ride on the UTV. Thankfully we made it back because the belt started slipping when taking off. Just one more thing to fix!

It was cool enough that we had a fire both mornings in the woodstove. Warmed the place up from 64 to 74 which my wife likes. Felt good to watch the fire while sipping some coffee. View attachment 1209728
Hope everyone has a great week!
Nice 👍

Morning guys

Busier than a bee over here. Many fall projects to wrap up but we make a little progress every day.

Yesterday I ran the saw and brush saw for about 45 minutes. We’re opening up a brushy area off the driveway for additional trailer parking. I don’t have the 3k to gravel it right know but at least we can back across the rough ground. There were 5 trees from 5-10” I couldn’t cut due to the extreme winds but the rest of the area is clear. Way too dry to burn so the boys have most of the brush loaded on the trailer to go to the dump.

Back to the scrounged pile for a few minutes late yesterday, cutting several of the large rounds and the poles and to OWB length. I need to start another oak stack as I've filled all of the ones I had previously. 20241006_175542.jpg
Had another cherry volunteer sacrifice itself almost on top of the wood stacks. This was only one half of it where it split into two about 20' up. I'll probably wait until all the leaves are gone to drop the other half. Have to be careful where you step here because there are so many acorns it's like walking on marbles. 20241006_180620.jpg

Latest posts

Back