Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys shared many pieces of good advice.

I’m a little bit overweight and eat too well. That’s going to change though because I’m registered for a half marathon next June.

I was a very good runner in junior high and quit track because my coach was kind of a prick. Wish I had stuck with it and ran cross country as well. I was winning or medaling at most of the mile runs when I was in junior high. I know I can get it back just gonna take a lot of work.

Splitting a case: I know there are some real nice tools out there to do this, but I don't do it often enough to buy one.

I have this Asian 440 with a bad lower crank bearing and figured I'd buy a new crank and fix it sometime. The other day when I was searching for parts for the 660, I found I already have a new crank ... When we build my Doc Al 440/460 Hybrid Doc Al would NOT use an Asian crank (I guess now I see why), and I had a 12mm 044 case with crank, but I did NOT want screw caps. So, I pulled the crank out of the 044 and put it in the Asian 440 case (and that means I still have the Asian crank). I had forgotten about it!

The 440 case was already stripped down, but I was thinking of the best way to split it. I noticed there is a hollow on the bottom for the tank handle, so I screwed a 2" X 2" board to my work bench, put the saw on top of it (the saw straddles the 2X2), held the top of the case half close to me with my left hand, and hit the crank with a hammer with my right hand. Worked like a charm, did not damage a thing!

Just thought I would share in case it can help out anyone else.

(ps The Asian crank bearing went bad running Stihl oil at 50:1, actually, 2 of them did). I have NEVER had one go bad running Saber at 40:1. I built another one for him, and one for his Dad (it is my friend Harold's son) and told them both they have to run them on Saber at 40:1. They have both been using them for years w/o any more issues.

Matt can tell you how strong my Doc Al Hybrid runs ... but it is a real concoction of parts!

It has and Asian case, tank holder and main bearings, a 12mm 044 crank, a heavily ported 046-D cylinder and a modified Husky piston that requires 2 base gaskets to obtain the correct squish! Doc Al did a heck of a job on it, and it pulls a 28" full comp chain like a mule!

I'm in shape, round is a shape...
I don't have a 6 pack, but I have a uni-ab:happybanana:.
It's not what's on the outside, but what's in the inside that counts :laughing:.
Just a few that I use, feel free to borrow them boys:yes:.
You always know a man is on the level when the bubble is in the middle!

You guys shared many pieces of good advice.

I’m a little bit overweight and eat too well. That’s going to change though because I’m registered for a half marathon next June.

I was a very good runner in junior high and quit track because my coach was kind of a prick. Wish I had stuck with it and ran cross country as well. I was winning or medaling at most of the mile runs when I was in junior high. I know I can get it back just gonna take a lot of work.
I was never interested in team sports... bicycling and hiking were my things as I could do those alone whenever I wanted to. I can still do those... On the other hand, I haven't met any 60+ year old active football or baseball players in my travels. 😉 But I do know cyclists in their 70s and 80s!

I've done many things over the years, team sports, biking, hiking, boxing, etc.

What I tell people is to find something that you like so that you keep on doing it, and these things can change with age.

Scheduling events (I used to participate in running and biathlon (running/biking) forces you to train to do well.

It is all good.

I'm in shape, round is a shape...
I don't have a 6 pack, but I have a uni-ab:happybanana:.
It's not what's on the outside, but what's in the inside that counts :laughing:.
Just a few that I use, feel free to borrow them boys:yes:.
Personally I keep my 6 pack in a cooler... :cool:

Matt can tell you how strong my Doc Al Hybrid runs ... but it is a real concoction of parts!

It has and Asian case, tank holder and main bearings, a 12mm 044 crank, a heavily ported 046-D cylinder and a modified Husky piston that requires 2 base gaskets to obtain the correct squish! Doc Al did a heck of a job on it, and it pulls a 28" full comp chain like a mule!
He makes a strong saw ,

Back