Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been racing and riding MTB for 35 years and ride 12 months a year, and enjoy it as much now as I did when I first started, 👍 and hiking and of course the wood stuff,View attachment 1210686View attachment 1210687
I got my first mountain bike in ‘82… got the second in ‘83: Trek 850. That was Trek’s first “rough terrain” bike. Much of it was worn out and replaced but it’s still got the original frame, wheels, crank arms, brakes and saddle. I still ride it… I don’t use the circa 2002 Specialized Epic much anymore — don’t ride as aggressively these days. I did a 3,142 mile tour on the 850 also… Of my 7 bikes the 850 is my favorite.

NICE warm day here today, not sure how many more we will get so today was the day to get my trailer deck swept off and oiled,

10-11-2401-S.jpg

It really soaked it up, so I'll oil it again NEXT summer on a nice warm day, and the deck will last a long LONG time.

SR

No pic yet as I ran out of daylight, but I pulled 4 8' cherry logs out for a friend. He's having trouble finding decent logs to cut. I'll go get some more for him tomorrow. Setting them out in the open 4' apart in a spot he can back right up to them.

Skipped put of work a little early, mostly to avoid being forced into a double shift since one of the kids called off of the late shift. Called up my logging buddy on the way home, ge didn't answer. Figured I'd get started on inspecting and cleaning the furnace in the house. Got the air shrouds off, and noticed a piece of gasket hanging out of the bottom of the pipe adapter. Yep, stupid thin metal warped. (I think you can see it in the first 2 pics.) (Secind note, for whatever reason the back wall is thinner then the rest of the furnace, not sure if it's because of the secondary air pipe gets hot faster or what.) Just happened my logging buddy called me back while I was looking at it, formulating a plan. I told him what was going on, and what my plan was to fix it. He said, just stop and bring the pipe adapter down. I got some 1/2" boiler plate here, well make a stiffener ring for it, and weld it in. Ran down there, dug this big plate out of one of his trailers and proceeded to cut out a reinforment ring. Quite a pain to get the holes drilled in it, darn near was ready to use the fire wrench. Got that finished up just in time to run home and get the kids off the bus. Then proceeded to drag the welder in the house and burn it on. Did inside and outside of the furnace, and yes i still can wedge most of myself into the furnce. Kinda tight, but i managed. Actually turned out quite well.
New fire bricks showed up. Never used this brand. The web site claimed they are high density/temp fire bricks, but they are very light vs the generic Rutland brand bricks I've been getting locally. Figured for $3.56 each I'll give them a try vs nearly $6.00 each locally.
One of the kittens were fostering decided to be a pain while I was bent over taking the old fire brick out and cleaning the furnace. Took it off my shoulder a few times till it decided it was going to do something else.

Attachments

• 20241011_140905.jpg
    20241011_140905.jpg
    2.3 MB
  • 20241011_140239.jpg
    20241011_140239.jpg
    1.9 MB
  • 20241011_173439.jpg
    20241011_173439.jpg
    2.3 MB
  • 20241011_170738.jpg
    20241011_170738.jpg
    2.2 MB
  • 20241011_170726.jpg
    20241011_170726.jpg
    2.6 MB
  • 20241011_201135.jpg
    20241011_201135.jpg
    1.4 MB
NICE warm day here today, not sure how many more we will get so today was the day to get my trailer deck swept off and oiled,

10-11-2401-S.jpg

It really soaked it up, so I'll oil it again NEXT summer on a nice warm day, and the deck will last a long LONG time.

SR
Any old oil? I worked for a guy who had me use used motor oil on a guys trailer. Thought he was full of it. Maybe it does work?

Sooo
Since y’all talking doctors and nurses…

My primary has a nurse that hates me

I’m 5’10’’ and in my prime sports days was around 145lbs

She gets me on the scale and I’m 168, I sigh, she asked what’s wrong. I told her I’m disappointed with how much I weighed. She told me “relax lots of woman weigh that much too”. My reply “yeah, they’re probably fat and miserable too”

She just walked out, 10 minutes later a different nurse comes in and is very short with me

Now the doctor comes in, he is a smart ass too

He tells me “you sure know how to make friends Matt”

Now, I’m not fat. But I sure don’t have the mean 6pack I used to have….

Now it’s a 1/4keg and needs to go.
That answer deserves a :numberone:

Interesting 🤔 stuff , View attachment 1207822
I know peanut butter seems to be a 'thing' these days with beers & whiskeys & vodkas... You can have mine. I've never found a beer; commercial or high quality homebrew that is good.
Love me a PB& J or PB & Honey sandwich. Could eat them all day with a glass of milk. 🤷‍♂️

I know peanut butter seems to be a 'thing' these days with beers & whiskeys & vodkas... You can have mine. I've never found a beer; commercial or high quality homebrew that is good.
Love me a PB& J or PB & Honey sandwich. Could eat them all day with a glass of milk. 🤷‍♂️
Yea, it’s not ordinary for sure,

Skipped put of work a little early, mostly to avoid being forced into a double shift since one of the kids called off of the late shift. Called up my logging buddy on the way home, ge didn't answer. Figured I'd get started on inspecting and cleaning the furnace in the house. Got the air shrouds off, and noticed a piece of gasket hanging out of the bottom of the pipe adapter. Yep, stupid thin metal warped. (I think you can see it in the first 2 pics.) (Secind note, for whatever reason the back wall is thinner then the rest of the furnace, not sure if it's because of the secondary air pipe gets hot faster or what.) Just happened my logging buddy called me back while I was looking at it, formulating a plan. I told him what was going on, and what my plan was to fix it. He said, just stop and bring the pipe adapter down. I got some 1/2" boiler plate here, well make a stiffener ring for it, and weld it in. Ran down there, dug this big plate out of one of his trailers and proceeded to cut out a reinforment ring. Quite a pain to get the holes drilled in it, darn near was ready to use the fire wrench. Got that finished up just in time to run home and get the kids off the bus. Then proceeded to drag the welder in the house and burn it on. Did inside and outside of the furnace, and yes i still can wedge most of myself into the furnce. Kinda tight, but i managed. Actually turned out quite well.
New fire bricks showed up. Never used this brand. The web site claimed they are high density/temp fire bricks, but they are very light vs the generic Rutland brand bricks I've been getting locally. Figured for $3.56 each I'll give them a try vs nearly $6.00 each locally.
One of the kittens were fostering decided to be a pain while I was bent over taking the old fire brick out and cleaning the furnace. Took it off my shoulder a few times till it decided it was going to do something else.
Do you inspect your furnace every year? I haven't pulled the shrouds off of mine in 13 years. Probably should...

I use 50/50 diesel and old trans hydraulic oil; I will NOT use used motor oil, even though it does also work.

SR
Oil thread!
Why not motor oil, or is it just used motor oil you won't use.
Also why diesel with it.
Trans fluid is one of my favs to get the bonfire going, it burns very hot :blob2: , just don't get all that much of it.

I got my first mountain bike in ‘82… got the second in ‘83: Trek 850. That was Trek’s first “rough terrain” bike. Much of it was worn out and replaced but it’s still got the original frame, wheels, crank arms, brakes and saddle. I still ride it… I don’t use the circa 2002 Specialized Epic much anymore — don’t ride as aggressively these days. I did a 3,142 mile tour on the 850 also… Of my 7 bikes the 850 is my favorite.
That’s awesome, my first was a Specialized Rockhopper Comp circa 1986 , Lol

Back