Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the muskegon is much nicer. Big bummer is the shallow spots can suck(really need a jet), and it's a gnarly wind tunnel, which can mess you up in various ways. The other thing that I dislike about the muskegon, it all the zebra mussels, although it does seem to be getting better now. No, center pin was just getting popular when I was hitting it hard, as was all the large arbor reels. There was a guy not far from where I live who was turning some real nice center pin setups, but for the cash and what we were typically doing I didn't see the need. My roommate had a jet 21'(iirc), nice drift boat, all sage rods and large arbor reels, I could use any of it I needed/wanted when we were on the river together, but I preferred the feel of my g-loomis rod so I usually just ran that. Unfortunately he's doing the same thing as your old @GrizG roommate :innocent:, so we probably won't be doing any fishing together.
I looked greg up, the name sounds familiar, but I don't think I know him. Looks like he does a great job out there, but if his prices are the norm, I won't be getting into anyone's boat. Maybe my buddy will buy a nice one :), then again, he'd probably want to store it in my barn lol.
I haven't been out with him since 2018, and I believe he was at $400 for a full day back then. It ain't cheap, but you only go around once.

"I preferred the feel of my g-loomis rod so I usually just ran that......"
Loomis rods are about as good as it gets for fishing the northwest!
Anybody that's fished in the last 40 years owes Gary Loomis a debt of gratitude. Even the cheapest $20 Wal-Mart rods are descendants of his hard work and innovation.

This $50 Shakespeare ultra light paired with a Mitchell 308 has been the go to trout rig for years. Those Loomis rods sure are nice , just not a big time spender.
View attachment 1212919
Exactly what I'm saying. That handle is a Loomis design, copied and built in China. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a fact.

I had nice weekend up north again. My wife and I went went to a friend's wedding reception yesterday.
Today I went for a nice 2.8 mile grouse walk. We moved 4 birds and got one.20241020_082828.jpg20241020_090635.jpg
Twas a great day.
Now I get to winterize the pool. It's a pain but it sure is nice to jump in on those 90° days.

I had nice weekend up north again. My wife and I went went to a friend's wedding reception yesterday.
Today I went for a nice 2.8 mile grouse walk. We moved 4 birds and got one.View attachment 1212931View attachment 1212933
Twas a great day.
Now I get to winterize the pool. It's a pain but it sure is nice to jump in on those 90° days.
Lions won, Packers won, Vikings LOST.

This $50 Shakespeare ultra light paired with a Mitchell 308 has been the go to trout rig for years. Those Loomis rods sure are nice , just not a big time spender.
View attachment 1212919
Heck I thought you'd stihl be using Zebco 202.:crazy2:The local farmers fair was yesterday and they had a guy playing guitar for entertainment. I was surprised to hear him play "Friend of the Devil".:rock:

Heck I thought you'd stihl be using Zebco 202. The local farmers fair was yesterday and they had a guy playing guitar for entertainment. I was surprised to hear him play "Friend of the Devil".
Did have one as a kid! Dig the Mitchell reels nowadays. That's a good tune to cover for a guy and his geetar.
"Spent the night in Utah in a cave up in the hills"

"I preferred the feel of my g-loomis rod so I usually just ran that......"
Loomis rods are about as good as it gets for fishing the northwest!
Sages always felt noodle to me, but they were better than many others 😃.
I haven't been out with him since 2018, and I believe he was at $400 for a full day back then. It ain't cheap, but you only go around once.
Yeah, I can even afford to go half way around lol. Really I need to get the barn sealed up. Got my wire for the sub-panel and to run power to the house when I get to it, that was 1900, then the bay doors alids are gonna sting me pretty hard...
Anybody that's fished in the last 40 years owes Gary Loomis a debt of gratitude. Even the cheapest $20 Wal-Mart rods are descendants of his hard work and innovation.
I was advised to buy the best I could afford because it was a lifetime purchase(if you bought one with a lifetime warranty). I spent a lot for the early 90s, but I didn't break it until 5yrs in, and it had well over a thousand steelies and salmon on it by then. Unfortunately when I sent it back to Loomis I found out it was a custom tire rod and they would only give me the current blank of that model, or 180 off a new one, I wasn't happy. Went to the store that me and NY buddies had spent many thousands at with the receipt, they said they would do nothing about it as it was advertised that way, no it wasn't! I let them know they could make it right or I'd never do business there again and I'd do everything I could to deter others from shopping there as well. They recently went out of business. Treat people right and you'll have a customer that advertises for you, treat them wrong and you get the opposite :buttkick:.

Back