SkilSaw chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello Fellas
Just aquired another saw,it's a SkilSaw 1629,which is really a Power Machinery saw.Does anyone know which model PM?Is it the PM340 or the PM330? There is no listing for a 1629 SkilSaw.
Thanks Lawrence

Last edited:
I got one for practically free at a yard sale last summer. Mine's all yellow though, not black/gold like Fatguy's is. I'm thinking mine is older, but I'm not sure. The all-yellow one fits right in beside my two Pioneers. I believe it's equivalent to a PM 330 as I know it's not 69cc like the 340. I could have sworn that I saw a page for the 1629 on CSCC last year... Maybe not. Either way I don't have much use for it - for a fairly-equivalent displacement, my 041AV will cut circles around it, and my even smaller (and lighter w/ antivibe!) muffler-modded Husky 50 absolutely destroys it in small wood. It's probably the saw I would loan out if asked right now.

FATGUY and Brmorgan

Hello Fellas
Well seems we have three different saw colours here.Nik sounds like yours was made by PM.Brad with your colours it sounds like a Poulan.Am I right about this
Lawrence

A couple pics of mine the day I got it, along with the XL-2 I picked up at the same time:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have no idea how old it is or what factory it actually came out of, so you guys tell me!

Brads 1629

Hello Brad
I am pretty sure it came from the Power Machinery plant in Our Province in Vancouver.I think around 1968 or 1969.Does it say made in Canada the saw?Man I just think these old PM and Pioneers were great saws.This Skil chainsaw has such nice lines it seems to be styled like a car of yesterday.Those Mufflers are great.Hey Brad,I have passed your town many times on my hunting trips up north.
Lawrence

Mine says:

Skil Canada, Toronto, Ontario
Made in Canada

So I assume it's pre-Skil-buyout. I just fired mine up for the first time since last year, it needed a couple drops of gas down the throat and a few pulls, but still idles and runs great.

Skil

Lawrence, according to my list, Power Machinery Corp did not sell those saws under their own name. They just built them for others. If you need part numbers, I have them.
Brendon.

SkilSaw and propliner

Hello Brendon
Glad your watching my rear LOL.You know I really like the lines on this 1629.It does remind me of a mini PM270.I was aware that PM made this saw,but if you check under SkilSaw on Mice Acres site it does not include the 1629.My question is,what PM saw is the 1629, is it a 340PM or 330PM?I don't now if this saw was a performer,but I like it's looks.
Lawrence

Hi Nik and Others
Nik, did that red metal box with the tools in it come with the Skli 1629 as well? That's quite the find at your Dads place.Once in awhile I look at other saws,if they catch my eye and the cash is there I pick it up.But the Canadian saws really have my interest.Pioneers First Though. LOL!
I just have to get around to make these saws all runners,
Lawrence

Hi all, here's my Skil/PM, it started life as a 1716, and the comparable model is the PM 340.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=95127
As far as performance, the saw is highly choked down, the ports are a series of drilled holes. I thought about removing 2 of the 3 Port 'bridge' areas, but decided against it. I would hate to wreck an old saw that I put a lot of time into and secondly, the way the saw is constructed makes it difficult and involved to remove the cylinder.

I would be intrested in another one, if antibody's looking to rid themselves of one, let me know.
CSW

If you look at post #6, it shows the exhaust port with 3 open areas and 2 bridges. The openings appear to be machined into the iron liner. My cylinder
has 4 - 3/8" holes drilled through the liner.

Another intresting note, see post 14. The transfer ports have enough room cast into the cylinder, for 3 drilled holes through the liner, yet only 2 are drilled on my saw.

The transfers are drilled completely through from the outside of the cylinder then the outside holes are pluged.
CSW

Last edited:
My old Pioneer RA cylinder is built like that - the explanation I was given was that the piston doesn't have locating pins to keep the rings in place, so they can float around at will. The holes keep the ring ends from snagging on the port edge and wrecking the whole works. I don't know how much material could be safely removed before risking an incident though. My 1629's cylinder is not machined like that, but like you said it's really choked down for some reason. I don't know what could be done to give substantial gains, if anything.

Skil chainsaw

Hello CSW
You did a really nice job on your Skil chainsaw,the cream and red looks real sharp.My 1629 is cream with a black top.I will get my arse in gear and take a few pics soon
Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence,
It's not totally done yet, I'm waiting for the recoil to be welded.
I am also having a bar stencil and decals made for it. The decals will not be what would have came on a PM 330-340, they appeared to be quite plain Jane. PM had some truly artistic decals on there older saws, and that's what will go on it. I think the beaver one.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Csw 1629

The PM saws and the IEL/Pioneers were made in Vancouver, as you know, and that's only about 45 minutes from where I live now.So that's part of the appeal for me.My 1629 has a half decal on the bar side of the saw that says Canadien.I will take a pic of it soon
Lawrence

Back