Starting a cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who think I am cutting with dull chain, I don't. I sharpen when it quites throwing rooster tails and/or I discover that I am having to force the saw, i.e., it quits self feeding. My situation is a -lot- different from the rest of you. I am cutting very soft wood, mostly big willow and on non rocky, loamy soil. My few trips into the dirt are made with a light touch on the throttle and careful feel to stop when the cut is finished. Been cutting for 25 years this time and used saws back when I was a kid on two man Mall and gear drive Macs. My first lesson learned was that dull chain makes for -work-.

Harry K

My apologies for a short answer. When a tree is standing, the underside of any limb is going to be compressed wood. If you cut too far into compressed wood it will pinch the bar and the least of your worries will be that the bar will become stuck. If the wood pinches on the chain it can cause the saw to push back out of the cut and toward the operator.
Tensioned wood would be on the top of the limb. Very little cutting is needed before the limb snaps and swings uncontrolled. That is why The Tree Spyder described his approach in such detail.
After the tree is on the ground, any inside of a bow will generally be compressed. Any outside of a bow will generally be tensioned. Experience is the best teacher, hence the recommendation of a safety class.

Link

WRW,

Apology accepted, although, not necessary. Thanks for the forestapps link and for the recommendations. I'll check out the link as time permits.

Until I can look around the forestapps site and, possibly find the answer there and, at the risk of being ridiculed again, please indulge me and let me ask all participants this question. Although I don't anticipate felling any trees, there could be an exception now and then. When I buy my saw, as I mentioned before, I expect to be doing mostly bucking, after someone else has felled the tree. "After the tree is on the ground, any inside of a bow will generally be compressed. Any outside of a bow will generally be tensioned." At this point in time, I'm afraid I don't understand what an " inside bow or outside bow is? Could I please be enlightened?

junker

It is just all about gravity and where you expect the wood to be in tension or compression in any given situation.

I do agree though, that by the questions you ask, that you need some person to person instruction. If I were you I would not be doing any felling without some instruction.

As I like to say, you cannot learn to dance by written instruction and you probably cannot learn to be a safe and smart chainsaw user over by written instruction.

P.S. You might try to call Tilton and see if they will send you their "How to use a chainsaw" booklet. 877-693-7729

Junker,Picture a 10' lenght x 10" diameter log in your mind laying over a ditch.You can crawl under the logs center,the weight is supported by each side of the ditch.
Which part of the log is under compression?
Which part of the log is under tension?
How can you tell?

Keep On:)

Latest posts

Back