Stihl 034 Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elsie

Reaction score
Hi guys!:msp_rolleyes:

My husband's Stihl 034 has bitten the dust! He can probably fix it eventually. He has a MS 211 and an MS 441. He needs something in the middle to replace the 034. He's kinda stuck on Stihl and I've look at some of the prof series ones. The 261 and 362 I don't know about. What cc's did the 034 have so I can get a good idea of apples to apples in replacing it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Stihl made two 034's, AVEQ @ 56.5cc and the AVSEQ @ 61.5cc. Take him to the dealer and let him handle both.

Hi guys!:msp_rolleyes:

My husband's Stihl 034 has bitten the dust! He can probably fix it eventually. He has a MS 211 and an MS 441. He needs something in the middle to replace the 034. He's kinda stuck on Stihl and I've look at some of the prof series ones. The 261 and 362 I don't know about. What cc's did the 034 have so I can get a good idea of apples to apples in replacing it.

Thanks!

If your husband is a pro user get him the MS261 @ 50.2.cc and 11.6 lbs. or the MS362 @ 59.0cc and 13lbs.

if he is a woodcutter/weekend user i'd say save some $$$ and get the MS291 @ 55.5cc and 12.1lbs.

All this is purely my opinion.

362 will be a good replacement if it was a super if it wasn't a super a 260 will suffice. Both saws are worlds faster and lighter, the 362 has the ability to handle a 24" bar if it must, but is better suited to a 20.
The 260 or 261 is the Stihl light weight in the pro series, it will handle up to a 20 inch bar but is in its happy place with a 16 or 18" cutting limbs or smallish fire wood. Speed and ease of movement in brush is where the 260 series rocks. They are fast cutting, lightweight saws which can handle any work load or just firewood a couple times a year.

More expensive yes, make the man smile for days yes, every time he runs it.

Will a 290 291 work, probably. How special is your husband and how serious is he about chainsaws? I prefer pro saws, they handle extended hard work better and save weight.
That's just my view, but I run a 346XP and a 268XP for those two saw sizes so what do I know.

My 034 supers were my go to saws for 20 years. This past year I retired them, and went with Husky 346s.

Don't regret that move at all. Super saws. :)

Don't think you need those few extra cc's when you have a real runner.

My $ .02.
:)

Thanks, gentlemen!

:msp_biggrin: :clap: I was looking at the 261 and the 362. He REALLY wants a 20" bar, so from what I hear from y'all, think we'll go with the 362. For my husband, $$ is not an object; I want him to have what WORKS. He has been a tree man for over 20 years, so he knows. Only reason I am on here is becuz I have been his helper for many years and I like him happy, so I do know a LITTLE bit about this kind of stuff.

Thanks again for coming thru for me. BTW, my bro-in-law, who is a professional tree climber uses Husq's mostly. We have NEVER tried a Husquvarna (sp?). Any comments on those?

:msp_biggrin: :clap: I was looking at the 261 and the 362. He REALLY wants a 20" bar, so from what I hear from y'all, think we'll go with the 362. For my husband, $$ is not an object; I want him to have what WORKS. He has been a tree man for over 20 years, so he knows. Only reason I am on here is becuz I have been his helper for many years and I like him happy, so I do know a LITTLE bit about this kind of stuff.

Thanks again for coming thru for me. BTW, my bro-in-law, who is a professional tree climber uses Husq's mostly. We have NEVER tried a Husquvarna (sp?). Any comments on those?

Huskies are good saws .......Thats what I have and use but honestly it really depends what he likes using and is used to/ comfortable with.

In Husky you got the 357 .....the the 560 562 576 and the 365 and 372 all depends what he wants to do with it what he gonna cut and what bars he wanna pull etc .......maybe not helpful and there are other Huskies too if he likes the older iron then there the 254, 266, 272, 288 all the way up to the muscle saws lol

Still Stihl !!

Well, guess the decision has been made. Since he has been a Stihl guy forever. He has chain saws, pole chain saw, leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, weed wappers and all from Stihl. Probly others I don't even know about! Lol

Can't tell you how nice it is to find answers from folks who KNOW! Thanks and I know where to come next time I need help!

Take care everyone!

Oh, probly gonna get the MS 362 20" bar.

Thanks again! :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back