Stihl 75 Pole Saw - No Spark no start!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next problem...

Even though the engine is now running... The chain cog at the power head ain't spinning even when revved...

On mine you can pull the side cover off and look without disturbing anything. I actually had to bend the metal wire to the point it wasn't touching when in the on position... and it also has a fast idle position as well

On mine you can pull the side cover off and look without disturbing anything. I actually had to bend the metal wire to the point it wasn't touching when in the on position... and it also has a fast idle position as well
Hi Pro, so handle is apart and there doesn't appear to be a switch of any sort.

The Black thin braided wire plugs into a hard black wire (unbranded... Looks more like a spring wire) located under the safety catch

The spring wire is it... where the 2 hard ones touch each other. It's been a while since I was inside mine but maybe the black rubber coating had been rubbed through causing it to ground out? Those hard Metal rods are what touch each other and ground it out. That's the switch, it's what kills the spark. Move the on off switch back and forth and you should see where the hard Metal touches.

The spring wire is it... where the 2 hard ones touch each other. It's been a while since I was inside mine but maybe the black rubber coating had been rubbed through causing it to ground out? Those hard Metal rods are what touch each other and ground it out. That's the switch, it's what kills the spark. Move the on off switch back and forth and you should see where the hard Metal touches.

Attachments

• 1475364408007-1194557448.jpg
    1475364408007-1194557448.jpg
    916.6 KB
  • 14753644403671641761971.jpg
    14753644403671641761971.jpg
    1.5 MB
  • 1475364467248-1002097537.jpg
    1475364467248-1002097537.jpg
    1.1 MB
So yes the kill wire which touches the metal Rod isn't connected.... It's pretty loose.

Bigger concern is the chain cog just isn't spinning

Not sure if the shaft is seized but the shaft is definitely slotted into the power head correctly.

Any tips?

You guys have been great so far!

Take off the chainsaw head, and turn the assy. with a flat tip screwdriver, and see if that is working ok.
Then you can check out the other side.
Thanks Harley. Do I need to take the chain Saw assembly off to do that. It won't budge at the moment whilst on the Pole. Have taken the chain off as it was slightly rusted and seized.

S
So pulled it off and after some playing icr got the cog to turn.

However the square shaft in the telescopic post isn't spinning. Looks like it's seized up.

Arghhh.. seems I hit a problem every step of the way.

I've heard pulling the shafts apart isn't for the light hearted... Any guidance on this.

Pull the engine off and try turning that end. Leave the telescoping shaft in between alone, just see if the shaft will turn from one end to the other.

Pull the engine off and try turning that end. Leave the telescoping shaft in between alone, just see if the shaft will turn from one end to the other.
Will have to try that next weekend. Have spent nearly all weekend (in between trying to get the lawns in order) on this thing!

Thanks all for the help. At least the engine is starting first pull now!

Hopefully the Pole isn't going to be a drama

Latest posts

Back