Stihl bar dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozzer

Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS260 with a 20" bar ref: 3003 008 6621. That bar is really worn but finding a replacement of same spec seems to be difficult in Canada. I can see options for 78 or 81 link chains/bar with thicker gauge chain (0.063 vs 0.50) but I have 3 new spare chains of the original spec, these chains (80dl, 0.325, 0.050) are not as easily available now either.
Can I get by with a slightly different bar type 0.058, 81 or 78 dl for example & use up my chains before ordering new to suit that bar? Time is a factor as I need firewood but can't cut anywhere near straight anymore (bar is original from ten years ago).

Attachments

• 20241023_155847~2.jpg
    20241023_155847~2.jpg
    360.7 KB
If you run your .050" chain on an .058" or .063" bar it is unlikely to cut very straight & won't do the bar any favours either.
Have you considered dressing your existing bar & closing the rails to spec... that may allow you to use your existing chains before replacing it.
Some good pic's of your existing bar & chain may help us provide more advice

It looks like that part number is available online. Another possibility would be getting bar part number 3003 812 3321 and getting the new 0.325 narrow kerf chains that cut really fast.

Have you dressed the bar yet?
Put it in a vice and take a bit off it with a flat file. If you file it down a bit it'll cut straight again, you can do this until the drive links bottom out in the bar groove.

There's likely a holtzforma or 8ten bar on amazon the size you need too. They wont last like the stihl bar but you'll be able to use up your chains.

Im having similar issues with older husky bars/chains. Everything used to be .058 but has switched to .050 on newer stuff, there's not many choices for chains it's oregon or nothing and when I need a bar im getting .050.

That old bar has probably lost much of it's rock and rock is important as it presents the cutters to the wood proudly, which enhances the cut. I tend to grind the rock in a used bar with hours on it on the 14" disc grinder in shop infrequently and then remove any burrs in the groove and on the outside edges with a bastard cut flat file. My preference is and always will be a greaseable / replaceable roller nose. But that is a personal preference only, your mileage may vary. Lots of excellent after market bars out there, use your search engine to find one.,

go to local Stihl dealer. That series of bar you have is the standard for ms260.
It is now a different part number but uses your current chains. Do not get .063 bar if you are in Canada as you will not find chains at a local saw shop. Canada never used .325 .063 chain on anything and you will only get online from USA.

Thank you very much for the replies, I haven't tried dressing the bar. Didn't know that was a thing so will try that first as I don't have any issues other than not cutting straight. That will hopefully give me time to order the same or similar replacement bar.

Latest posts

Back